Looking for a swim bait rod 2-5 oz

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Looking for a swim bait rod 2-5 oz

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi all,

hope to find you well in these crazy times! 

Looking for a all around swimbait rod that would allow me to throw anything between 2-5 oz comfortably. Both treble as well Jighook style swim and glidebaits.

Couple of lures that I would throw:

Hud 68, 8inch Hud, Deps Bull Shooter 160, Deps 175 as well as big rats and other top water baits.

I would prefer a rod with a softer tip but still enough backbone to throw a 8 inch hud.

I know it is hard to find a perfect rod that does it all, but kind of looking for a jack of all trades when I want to bring a Swimbait combo with me for my bank fishing endeavors. 

I have a 908 to throw my really big stuff. Had the 867 previously, which is too much rod in this context.

Fished the Dobyns 796 and the iron Air 7104 Paul Swim the last day and while the iron felt too stiff for smaller glidebaits, the Dobyns had a nice tip, felt well balanced but was a bit underpowered. Like everything else about it. Including the shorter handle.

I am wondering if the 807 would fit. Totally open to other options as well.

Looking to stay under 350 USD since I do not fish this combo that often.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Seb.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a swim bait rod 2-5 oz

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:08 am

If you could go slightly over $350 you could get into a IMX PRO 965C SWBR rated 2-6oz. I use to have one before I got LDC custom MH built. The IMX works really well for both treble hooks and jigs hooks. I was tossing everything from a tiny klash up to a 8” Huddleston.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am

This stick will go all the way down to 3/4oz squarebills and up to 9 oz hard bodied swimbaits and everything in between. If you want one stick to do it all, this rod can handle the task:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlerklx7107xxh.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks guys.

Will look into both options!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 am
This stick will go all the way down to 3/4oz squarebills and up to 9 oz hard bodied swimbaits and everything in between. If you want one stick to do it all, this rod can handle the task:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlerklx7107xxh.html
Thanks Cal for your input and for sharing the review.

The KLX looks interesting in deed. Since I would be throwing 6-9 inch (3-4oz) glidebaits most of the times, I am not sure if the rod is too stiff for this application.

You mention in the review that the rod felt like a broom stick with a bit of tip ideally for jig hook swimbaits, but you also mentioned that it was a great heavy deep cranking stick.

Would you still recommend the rod if I focused the rod's purpose on 6-9 inch (3-4oz) glidebaits?

Thanks a lot again!

Cheers,
Seb.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi Seb,

Yup... i've continued fishing the rod since writing it up, and the rod continues to impress. It can absolutely handle duties as a stick for 3-4 ounce glides. The versatility is really astounding for a rod that, off the rack, feels so beefy. If you're concerned at all or absolutely will not need the top end this stick can handle, I'm sure you can step down a power or two and still be happy.

If you weren't needing a stick to handle the big plastic swimbaits with the jigstyle hooks, the Leviathan 8' Heavy that just published on the main site is an excellent choice for 4 ounce glide baits.

Cal
Cal, Managing Editor

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 pm
Hi Seb,

Yup... i've continued fishing the rod since writing it up, and the rod continues to impress. It can absolutely handle duties as a stick for 3-4 ounce glides. The versatility is really astounding for a rod that, off the rack, feels so beefy. If you're concerned at all or absolutely will not need the top end this stick can handle, I'm sure you can step down a power or two and still be happy.

If you weren't needing a stick to handle the big plastic swimbaits with the jigstyle hooks, the Leviathan 8' Heavy that just published on the main site is an excellent choice for 4 ounce glide baits.

Cal
Thanks again Call!!

Since you have also reviewed the Onager and the Leviathan, I am wondering how you see these two Megabass rods.

I am not the biggest fan of Kittler's esthetics. The make a good performing product but the craftsmanship is just poor in my opinion. Also would prefer a full grip handle.

Your input is very much appreciated!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:59 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 pm
Since you have also reviewed the Onager and the Leviathan, I am wondering how you see these two Megabass rods.
Just to be clear, the Leviathan I referred to above is the Omega Swimbait Heavy by Leviathan Rods reviewed here:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewleviath ... heavy.html

The Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan, sadly, is too far gone from my memory to comment on save for the fact the rear handle could be longer.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmboroch ... athan.html

The '17 Destroyer Onager is the best Megabass Swimbait Stick I've fished since the slant bridge Orochi DG Super Destruction. If you're looking for a big bait stick and can afford the Onager, get it.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbdestroyeronager.html
Cal, Managing Editor

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:59 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 pm
Just to be clear, the Leviathan I referred to above is the Omega Swimbait Heavy by Leviathan Rods reviewed here:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewleviath ... heavy.html

The Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan, sadly, is too far gone from my memory to comment on save for the fact the rear handle could be longer.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmboroch ... athan.html

The '17 Destroyer Onager is the best Megabass Swimbait Stick I've fished since the slant bridge Orochi DG Super Destruction. If you're looking for a big bait stick and can afford the Onager, get it.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbdestroyeronager.html
Thanks once again Call for taking the time to respond!

Would the Onager be able to throw something like a swaver 168 or would it be too much rod?

Just realized as well that the Leviathan you reviewed was the older Orochi series, which I loved. The newer (current) version, I am not a big fan of. So not sure if the current Leviathan is even worth considering.

Haha. Choices.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am
Would the Onager be able to throw something like a swaver 168 or would it be too much rod?
The beauty of Megabass's current Destroyer rods is they have a 1, 2, 3 punch within the lineup. For the lighter swimbaits like an Swaver 168 you can use the Mark 48 or even the Bunker Buster. Neither are as special as the Onager, but I save the Onager for true big bait duties with the Deps Slide Swimmer 250, Gan Craft Jointed Claw 230, iSlide 262T and so on. So I haven't thrown anything smaller with that stick - at least not in recent memory.
Cal, Managing Editor

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am
The beauty of Megabass's current Destroyer rods is they have a 1, 2, 3 punch within the lineup. For the lighter swimbaits like an Swaver 168 you can use the Mark 48 or even the Bunker Buster. Neither are as special as the Onager, but I save the Onager for true big bait duties with the Deps Slide Swimmer 250, Gan Craft Jointed Claw 230, iSlide 262T and so on. So I haven't thrown anything smaller with that stick - at least not in recent memory.

Thanks Cal!

Yeah, I have heard that the Megabass line up is very specific and a single rod is really designed to excel at a single specific task.

I think the Onager is out of the equation. For the really heavy lures (10" Hudds, Deps 250 and 12" Slyguy lures" I use my 908.

I think I will decide between the Kistler, the Leviathan and maybe the IMX.

Thanks again!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:01 pm

I have decided to go with the Megabass Onager.

The tackletour review convinced me to pass on the Leviathan and invest a bit more. Although the rod is a bit more powerful on paper than what I was looking for, Cal you also mentioned that the rod was able to throw down to 2oz lures. If  need be I can also put on some more stretchy mono to offset the powerful rod.
Paying 350 USD shipped for mine, that helped as well! ;)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:26 pm

👍
Cal, Managing Editor

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Phenix M1 8’ heavy 1-5 oz rating handles jig and treble hooked baits well.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:20 am

First day out with the Onager yesterday.

First impressions, light and well balanced. For some reason it reminds me of the Steez XBD frog rod, in a larger more powerful version.

Could not experience much of it, since after maybe 30mins of fishing, the rod snapped (after the 3rd guide).

Looks like this is a common issue with the Onager. Wondering what to do when I get the replacement from Megabass...