ZBone General purpose spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
milk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

ZBone General purpose spinning rod

Post by milk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:57 am

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my spinning setup. Historically, I buy cheaper spinning tackle, and more on the casting side. I realized this summer, I use my spinning tackle as much, if not more than my casting setups. I recently picked up a 2500 Stradic FL. As a result, I want to purchase a rod on the higher end of things to match.

I typically use spinning for dropshot, weightless wacky and Ned rigs.

I have a few Kistler H3 rods (Heavy flipping and L-MH) and really like them. Currently Kistler is running a fall sale. I could pickup an h3 spinning, and a Magnesium casting (replacing one that broke recently) at a significant discount. Or grab the zbone spinning on its own for a slightly less discount.

My question, is the Zbone worth extra money. I know I get more value with the H3 and a second quality rod, but is the Zbone worth the extra money on its own?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ZBone General purpose spinning rod

Post by Drakestar » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 pm

I think this is really a question about whether you want to upgrade to any top-of-the-line spinning rod. If you have a bunch of GLXs, do you want/need an NRX? You already have an H3, do you want/need a Zbone? To me the answer is yes, because I like addictive rods. I fish my GLX rods a bunch and they're fun (but not "addictive"), and fishing the NRX is more fun and can get me an extra bite or two on long casts and in deep water. But it's really a personal decision, and IMHO the only way to make that decision is to either borrow a Zbone (or NRX, or K2 etc.) to test it out, or take the plunge, buy one, and learn if it was worth it to you. Sounds like this sale is a golden opportunity to not just buy an awesome rod, but also buy that perspective.

I don't have a Helium, and I don't have a Zbone spinning rod, so take this with a grain of salt: the blank of my casting Zbone 733 LMH is up there with - and possibly above - any other high-end rod I've fished (NRX, K2, Destroyer, Xtasy etc.), and IMHO it easily competes with the NRX. It has top-notch sensitivity. Anecdotally, I've read that people like the T800 blank (that the Helium is built on), but don't think it's amazing for its price class. But the Xray blank is considered top-notch even in its tier. So you might get a clear upgrade there.
Last edited by Drakestar on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 pm
I think this is really a question about whether you want to upgrade to any top-of-the-line spinning rod. If you have a bunch of GLXs, do you want/need an NRX? You already have an H3, do you want/need a Zbone? To me the answer is yes, because I like addictive rods. I fish my GLX rods a bunch and they're fun (but not addictive), and fishing the NRX is more fun and can get me an extra bite or two on long casts and in deep water. But it's really a personal decision, and IMHO the only way to make that decision is to either borrow a Zbone (or NRX, or K2 etc.) to test it out or take the plunge once, buy one, and learn if it was worth it to you. Sounds like this sale is a golden opportunity to not just buy an awesome rod, but also buy that perspective.

I don't have an Helium, and I don't have a Zbone spinning rod, so take this with a grain of salt: the blank of my casting Zbone 733 LMH is up there with - and possibly above - any other high-end rod I've fished (NRX, K2, Destroyer, Xtasy etc.), and IMHO it easily competes with the NRX. It has top-notch sensitivity. Anecdotally, I've read that people like the T800 blank (that the Helium is built on), but don't think it's amazing for its price class. But the Xray blank is considered top-notch even in its tier. So you might get a clear upgrade there.

This is why I come to Tackle Tour. Great post my friend.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:56 am

I have several H3's and they are fine rods, BUT, the new Z-Bone is a big step up. I don't think you will be disappointed. :big grin:

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:18 pm

I had 6 of them (2020 versions) being a smallmouth angler. I’ve fished a ton of upper end spins over the years. Sensitivity wise as I know that’s typically the first question that arises with most any rod they’re as good as any I’ve ever fished. The tapers could use some work if you’re one who prefers finesse fishing (I’d opt for the “1” there). If you’re one who drags tubes for smallmouth I’d opt for the 7’ “3” power. I couldn’t get the 7’3 “3” to balance to save my life even with a 3000 Stella and there was no “light” anywhere in that LMH. Grips, I don’t grip spins with my reel stem between my fingers preferring to have a smooth transition with the heel of my hand where blank meets grip and blank cradled on my index and middle finger (most spin handles make me wonder if the makers even fish them). I knew the handle going in. Took a chance. No thanks.

My take sir for what it’s worth. They were wonderfully sensitive and having fished spins nearly exclusively for 40 years I know I’m picky but I sold off all of mine.

Good fishing to you and happy shopping.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:11 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:18 pm
(most spin handles make me wonder if the makers even fish them
My favorites are exposed threads in front of the stem and 'backward' vss...

Jokes aside, vss is my favorite (as in steez or tatula) and I avoid most with lock nut in front of the stem.

Reel seat is probably the biggest factor for me when choosing a spinning rod. If it ain't right I'll pass, even if the blank is so sensitive I can detect fish farts at 40 ft.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:38 am

if you can get a Z-bone built on the x-ray blank, don't hesitate.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:38 pm

rando wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:11 am
TravisNY wrote:

Jokes aside, vss is my favorite (as in steez or tatula) and I avoid most with lock nut in front of the stem.

Reel seat is probably the biggest factor for me when choosing a spinning rod. If it ain't right I'll pass, even if the blank is so sensitive I can detect fish farts at 40 ft.
Feel the same way. I see a lot of these handles and think how can that possibly be comfortable. Glad to see I am not the only one haha

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:27 pm

rando wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:11 am
TravisNY wrote:

Agreed sir. The single first thing I look at is handle. Agreed also on that reversed grip. I used Tennessee handles for years and taped where blank met cork to facilitate fingers around the blank. In the modern age the Conquests, discontinued Hedgehog and various A-Mart iterations made the most sense to me for my uses. Most look painful/awkward to me nowadays.

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

welp I just ordered a helium and trying to cancel that order now for a zbone. :lol: