Best Glass Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Glass Rod

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:39 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm
I’ve been using a glass rod for the past few months, starting with crankbaits, then for topwaters, then for spinnerbaits. I’m thinking glass is better for moving baits and graphite for slow stuff.
i've always felt that way as well. i still haven't figured out why chatterbaits are to be thrown on a glass rod, but folks say you need xf for spinnerbaits???
I just watched a YouTube video of Brian Latimer (?) on crank bait rods.
From what I gathered he was questioning why many people (the crowd) say that glass rods are better for crank baits but not topwater and other reaction baits. Kinda question everything approach and he states that for him graphite and or graphite glass blends offer better sensitivity and more accurate casting.

It was an interesting video but at the end of the day for ME
There’s no Better chatterbait rod like the Power Versatile and it’s really where I cut my teeth using the chatterbaits. I remember distinctly catching a six pound bass in clear water on that rod with floro.

Now my st. Croix rod legend glass rod is absolutely the lightest glass rod I own and I knew I got it paired with the right reel after consistently catching fish on diving plugs vs. my graphite rods. I’m no pro or expert but one thing I have really come to know is when I find that thing that works I really examine it and of late power and actions of rods are on my reading list. The old books I read seem a bit outdated the more and more I read. Maybe it’s the lures line reels and rod upgrades of today.

Is a medium + rod the same as a LT Medium heavy?
What’s a medium xfast rod best used for ?
Everyone has their own opinion on what the perfect technique specific rod should be but I see that there are a lot of rods that lean more towards the side of versatility than one single thing.
Mr. Penn if you want just pm me with your contact and I’ll send you that link.

Personally I can’t see myself deviating from my laminglas sr for rattle traps
It just has the right balance of power and flex ( parabolic action?) that won’t let fish got especially since I’ve discovered these owner Zo wire treble hooks.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I’ve been using a glass rod for the past few months, starting with crankbaits, then for topwaters, then for spinnerbaits. I’m thinking glass is better for moving baits and graphite for slow stuff.
i've always felt that way as well. i still haven't figured out why chatterbaits are to be thrown on a glass rod, but folks say you need xf for spinnerbaits???
I was never a fan of xf taper for bass fishing, especially for baits over 1/4 oz. Maybe it’s a personal quirk, maybe it’s just one of those things that is hard to verbalize. A mystery of life!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:36 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 pm
Jason Penn wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
From what I gathered he was questioning why many people (the crowd) say that glass rods are better for crank baits but not topwater and other reaction baits. Kinda question everything approach and he states that for him graphite and or graphite glass blends offer better sensitivity and more accurate casting.

There’s no Better chatterbait rod like the Power Versatile and it’s really where I cut my teeth using the chatterbaits. I remember distinctly catching a six pound bass in clear water on that rod with floro.

Now my st. Croix rod legend glass rod is absolutely the lightest glass rod I own and I knew I got it paired with the right reel after consistently catching fish on diving plugs vs. my graphite rods. I’m no pro or expert but one thing I have really come to know is when I find that thing that works I really examine it and of late power and actions of rods are on my reading list. The old books I read seem a bit outdated the more and more I read. Maybe it’s the lures line reels and rod upgrades of today.

Everyone has their own opinion on what the perfect technique specific rod should be but I see that there are a lot of rods that lean more towards the side of versatility than one single thing.

It just has the right balance of power and flex ( parabolic action?) that won’t let fish got especially since I’ve discovered these owner Zo wire treble hooks.
I have been going back and forth on glass for topwaters for a long time. What made it difficult was finding good glass when graphite was all the rage. Evergreen had good glass rods but you know what they run. MB has a few, again, not cheap.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:10 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 pm
Jason Penn wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

i've watched that video by b-lat before. i should probably clarify my previous post...action is more of what i go by than material. i like crank rods whether it be glass, composite or graphite for reaction baits. to me it's not necessarily about the sensitivity either.

i like a slower reacting blank for the way it hooks fish. it seems to pierce hooks into the fish rather than jerk.

to go right against what i'm saying, i have a 6'9 mh daiwa ballistic rod that i use for spinnerbaits. it really is more of a m+ that is a little bit faster, but it will bend deep on a hook set.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:52 pm

I've fished alot of glass rods over the years and alot of graphite rods with moderate actions for moving baits.

If you want a good fiberglass rod, have it made with a Seeker S glass blank cut down to 7 ft. Have an experienced rod maker do this!

For mainline production glass rods, I love the Shimano Expride 7'2" MH glass rod.

For graphite, my new favorite is the Envy black 2 chattet/crank rod. 7'4" medium heavy moderate. Best for fishing long distances and through grass.

I prefer glass rods when fishing hard structure. I go graphite when fishing weeds to rip baits out of grass. Graphite beats glass for those scenarios. Glass shines in fishing rocks, wood to help bait work through snaggy cover!

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 pm

St. Croix the best hands down.