Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Looking to try something different so I was wondering if anyone has this rod ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+

Post by mrpao » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:58 pm

I have this rod but honestly haven't gotten to fish it much.
I did try some light texas rigs with it. It seems pretty sensitive for light bottom contact.
Im sure it would do well at other more finesse techniques too. Thought about throwing poppers on it too.
I have it paired up with a aldebaran 50hg.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:35 am

mrpao wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:58 pm
I did try some light texas rigs with it. It seems pretty sensitive for light bottom contact.
Im sure it would do well at other more finesse techniques too. Thought about throwing poppers on it too.
Thanks Sir
I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this rod
I have a rod with similar specs coming so depending on how it goes with the Legit Rod Wild Side medium in 6’10” WSC710M. I may have to try out the expride.
Tomorrow I will look at all the rods i currently have that are in weight spec
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:35 am
mrpao wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:58 pm
Thanks Sir
I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this rod
I have a rod with similar specs coming so depending on how it goes with the Legit Rod Wild Side medium in 6’10” WSC710M. I may have to try out the expride.
Tomorrow I will look at all the rods i currently have that are in weight spec
I ordered this on a whim just to pair with my conquest BFS for now.. if it doenst work Ill figure something out.. should be here by Wednesday

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 am

Rod received it’s not what I consider bfs

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am

It's an ML+ which is too much for bfs, i think the purpose of this rod was more to match the aldebaran MGL range of capbilities vs the bfs spools capabilities.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 am

ss30378 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am
It's an ML+ which is too much for bfs, i think the purpose of this rod was more to match the aldebaran MGL range of capbilities vs the bfs spools capabilities.
I agree
Seems like it would be an awesome 110 rod or treble hook bait.
I did manage several bites and catches on it. After using it I’ve decided that it’s not for me

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 am

I would be interested to hear whether this could be good for 1/4 oz tubes - exposed hook of course - on say 10lb. FC. Just not sure if it has the backbone being labeled as a medium-light plus? The 7'2" MH Expride is too heavy IMO to fish 1/4 tubes; better for 3/8th and 1/2 oz. I'd rather not use spinning gear, even though there's a M 7' Expride that would work well.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 am

fishindad wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 am
I would be interested to hear whether this could be good for 1/4 oz tubes - exposed hook of course - on say 10lb. FC. Just not sure if it has the backbone being labeled as a medium-light plus?
It will do that job extremely well - I use mine for 110s and 1/4 - 5/16oz light wire football jigs + trailer on 10lb FC.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am

It’s not a bad stick at all, for me I have rods that cross over just as well.
It does have backbone and I see no situation except in the most extreme circumstances where the fish blots in to the thickest of cover that you would feel that the backbone is less than adequate. And even still it has the spine to maintain pressure.

It’s 110 stick for sure. If I didn’t already have three jerkbait rods I’d kept it solely for 110’s and the OSP equivalence

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am
It’s not a bad stick at all, for me I have rods that cross over just as well.
It does have backbone and I see no situation except in the most extreme circumstances where the fish blots in to the thickest of cover that you would feel that the backbone is less than adequate. And even still it has the spine to maintain pressure.

It’s 110 stick for sure. If I didn’t already have three jerkbait rods I’d kept it solely for 110’s and the OSP equivalence
reason162 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 am
It will do that job extremely well - I use mine for 110s and 1/4 - 5/16oz light wire football jigs + trailer on 10lb FC.
Thanks gents, and goldrod I understand about cover, this would be for tubes in open water. Looks like the CC is taking another hit, lol.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Its a totally unique rod for all around usefulness in niche techniques!

Dropshotting with it is fantastic in water up to 20 feet and is perfect for fishing dropshots when smallies are on bed!

Great finesse jig rod for smallies throwing lightweight swimbaits, grubs, tightrope finesse jigs. Excels in water less than 10 ft.

Great as q Carolina rig rod but its more of a mojo rig rod.

Neko baits and flickshake rigs

Spybaits and mini jerkbaits. Perfect blend of castability and action for spybaits and luckycraft 78 DD.

I pair this with an aldebaran 51 hg and spool with flouro ranging from 4lb to 10lb depending on seasonal technique!