Megabass & the battle for BEST bottom contact rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass & the battle for BEST bottom contact rod

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:18 am

If your like me, you read a lot of old post here especially in the rods thread.
After reading some more about the efreet , luxxe , poison ultimate , racing design and sedition rods it begs the question if Megabass is losing ground in the bottom contact department? This is not a rod bash but I feel a legitimate question. If you look solely at bottom contact rods, the old school Megabass rods are in the conversation more than the current offerings with the exception of the FMJ.

I was offered a racing design jigga stick and failed to pull the trigger mainly due toni was a tad short. I have a reel ready if the right evergreen rod comes up. But one thing is for certain and that’s as I look around ( within the confines of my budget) I don’t see a Megabass rod that is in the same conversation as the other JDM rod manufacturers. At one point it was all MB
the hein, super destroyer, the gambler rods were well received and renowned for their Strength,Sensitivity and action. There may be others that I failed to list and please feel free to list them.
Of the P5 I was hoping that the new good looking super destroyer was as much or better than the old but i have not read much about it in terms is SSA. I’ve read of its versatility but that’s about it.
So to me it seems as if the other JDM manufacturers are gaining ground in the bottom contact arena what are your thoughts?

It would be good the see a best bottom contact battle but I know sensitivity is so subjective but if one person tested all the rods it would be one less variable I think 🤔. Please chime in on that as I know there are some experts who can speak to that better than me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass & the battle for BEST bottom contact rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:26 am

Id agree with you. Dont hear much about Megabass being "that rod". There seems to be durability issues lately as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:22 am

p5 xbite seems to be getting really good reviews for bottom contact applications. People reporting it to be preferred to nrx 853...

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am

PBP wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:22 am
p5 xbite seems to be getting really good reviews for bottom contact applications. People reporting it to be preferred to nrx 853...
I was excited about it until I saw that snapped one in the P5 thread :sick:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:05 am

_diggy_ wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am
PBP wrote:
The P5 X-Bites is an excellent lighter bottom contact rod indeed. Just like anything, some rods break due to manufacturing defects, but far more frequently due to misuse, neglect, accidents, or just abuse. I've had the X-Bites since the first shipment landed, have put in a load of time with it, and it's performing flawlessly. In fact, I have quite a few P5 rods that I use frequently and they are a very impressive line, no defects at all in my rods.

JL - you're correct. Sensitivity is a highly subjective issue as we've all seen when reading various reviews and impressions here and elsewhere. Nobody has fished them all and can offer a completely objective perspective on the matter, but sharing experiences and comparisons is always helpful. I wish Megabass had made something along the lines of a 7'6" true heavy powered rod focused on fishing larger jigs/plastics around heavier cover because I'm sure it would have been amazing based on how the rest of the P5 series fishes.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm

My thoughts is that maybe, there's no battle for the best bottom contact rod in the first place, or - if there is - that Megabass is not particularly interested in winning that arms race. The USDM Destroyers include jig/trig rods with really, really great sensitivity, and the P5 line of Destroyers just introduced extra options. Both lines are still pretty new, no need to add additional models at an accelerated pace.

As Megabass is able to reach a large group of enthusiasts with the option they already offer, they don't need to invest any additional energy in winning the award for "Most Sensitive In The World" (they don't price the Destroyers along those lines, anyway). Every arms race eventually reaches a point of diminishing returns, after all.

Personally, I have the USDM FMJ and Bunker Buster to cover my 3/8-1oz jig spectrum, and a P5 Super Destroyer for the days when I want to take a more versatile rod. I wouldn't get into prolonged "but is it as sensitive as an NRX" discussions, but man, those rods are all that I need/want. When somebody asks for a new jig rod, I'll recommend the FMJ along all of the other usual suspects that'll be suggested. What more could MB want?

The breakage issues are worrisome because the stories are reaching a semblance of critical mass, but so far I've been spared on 4 rods (those three plus an Orochi XX).

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:43 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am
PBP wrote:
I hear you, that is one of the reasons I have not gotten one. Looking forward to what the updated nrx will look like.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm
My thoughts is that maybe, there's no battle for the best bottom contact rod in the first place, or - if there is - that Megabass is not particularly interested in winning that arms race. The USDM Destroyers include jig/trig rods with really, really great sensitivity, and the P5 line of Destroyers just introduced extra options. Both lines are still pretty new, no need to add additional models at an accelerated pace.

As Megabass is able to reach a large group of enthusiasts with the option they already offer, they don't need to invest any additional energy in winning the award for "Most Sensitive In The World" (they don't price the Destroyers along those lines, anyway). Every arms race eventually reaches a point of diminishing returns, after all.

Personally, I have the USDM FMJ and Bunker Buster to cover my 3/8-1oz jig spectrum, and a P5 Super Destroyer for the days when I want to take a more versatile rod. I wouldn't get into prolonged "but is it as sensitive as an NRX" discussions, but man, those rods are all that I need/want. When somebody asks for a new jig rod, I'll recommend the FMJ along all of the other usual suspects that'll be suggested. What more could MB want?

The breakage issues are worrisome because the stories are reaching a semblance of critical mass, but so far I've been spared on 4 rods (those three plus an Orochi XX).
I read you post several times and I understand and respect your point of view. You asked what more could MB want and I would dare to respond with what all people who invent and or improve a product and that would be to make that product better. As I contemplated my response to your post, I really tried to look at things from your optic view. After some time I thought back to when I initially started visiting this site and I would read about the cranking shootout, ( and just simply rod / reel / line comparisons ) where TT.com would compare cranking reels and there were several other shootouts. IMHO those shootouts were to find the best of the best. It also pointed out to me discrepancies in reels as much as it did the positives but all to inform me the consumer.
If MB isn't worried about having the best bottom contact rod I understand. They have far more capital than I do and more pockets to fill. The point i was trying to make is that the brand as a whole seems to be at a polar opposite of what they were once known for and that was not just cosmetic features but attention to detail and sensitivity. Today it seem like we are talking more and more about Steez Racing designs, Luxxe , Black Ravens and other rods with D.C or Marvel comic book character names.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:01 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 pm
I read you post several times and I understand and respect your point of view. You asked what more could MB want and I would dare to respond with what all people who invent and or improve a product and that would be to make that product better. As I contemplated my response to your post, I really tried to look at things from your optic view. After some time I thought back to when I initially started visiting this site and I would read about the cranking shootout, ( and just simply rod / reel / line comparisons ) where TT.com would compare cranking reels and there were several other shootouts. IMHO those shootouts were to find the best of the best. It also pointed out to me discrepancies in reels as much as it did the positives but all to inform me the consumer.
If MB isn't worried about having the best bottom contact rod I understand. They have far more capital than I do and more pockets to fill. The point i was trying to make is that the brand as a whole seems to be at a polar opposite of what they were once known for and that was not just cosmetic features but attention to detail and sensitivity. Today it seem like we are talking more and more about Steez Racing designs, Luxxe , Black Ravens and other rods with D.C or Marvel comic book character names.
We might just have a different opinion on whether a race for the best bottom contact rod really exists these days, and how much effort companies should invest into that race.

In my mind, a regular Destroyer FMJ is crazy sensitive and rivals a NRX. Regardless of whether that's heresy - many will say it is, but I've also seen my sentiment echoed in places (for the FMJ specifically) - the important part is that we're comparing that rod against an NRX. Every new bottom contact rod is still compared to an NRX. Which kind of suggests that the state of the art in sensitivity hasn't really advanced since the NRX was released quite a while ago.

When the NRX was new, everybody else was racing to catch up for a while, and that's where coming to TackleTour to hear about another new awesomely sensitive rod was indeed possible (I assume, I wasn't a member yet in those days ;)). Maybe that new rod was sold as "way better than the NRX on sensitivity!", but history has told us that objectively speaking, that's not really true. Son in truth everybody was just racing to catch up to the NRX, and at this point I feel like everybody has (kinda/fully) done that, while during that entire time, nothing has significantly improved on the sensitivity of that NRX. That's why IMO, bottom contact sensitivity is an arms race with very diminishing returns. The best we're going to get - at least for now - are more rods that are as sensitive as that NRX/Xray/K2/Steez(?) class.

If I apply that opinion to Megabass, they have a couple rod lines that are close to the max sensitivity. Sure, they could try to get even better and make a rod that clearly and obviously is as good as the top tier. But that's an investment that might not reap returns, so they focus on rod balance and design more. Instead of making a race car with just as much horse power as "that NRX car" (700hp, the gold standard!), they prefer to maintain a line of cars that all have around 650-6905hp, but that have a way nicer interior and exterior. A lot of people will buy that kind of product over the barebones NRX with (maybe, cause it's subjective) 10 additional HP.
Last edited by Drakestar on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 am

I believe a traded for the P5 X-Bites replacement that was reported snapped on this forum. Phenomenal rod, sensitivity is subjective but IMO up there with the king NRX893. Compared to my FMJ, lighter obviously, better balance and more crisp(lively) in hands. And yes sensitivity is next tier without a doubt. Leave it by saying possibly the best MB rod I've fished to date, that includes many X7's.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 pm

Phippy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 am
I believe a traded for the P5 X-Bites replacement that was reported snapped on this forum. Phenomenal rod, sensitivity is subjective but IMO up there with the king NRX893. Compared to my FMJ, lighter obviously, better balance and more crisp(lively) in hands. And yes sensitivity is next tier without a doubt. Leave it by saying possibly the best MB rod I've fished to date, that includes many X7's.
Glad you’re enjoying the X-Bites Mike. I absolutely love the Conquest 904 and is much more inline with my style of fishing. Killer trade, thanks for reaching out.