Minimalist 2 Rod Setup

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Minimalist 2 Rod Setup

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:20 pm

I figured with black friday coming up it would be the perfect time to purchase my first couple higher end rod/reels. I'm a bank/kayak angler and currently own 6 bass specific combos with most of my rods and reels falling around the $100 price point. However I'm not completely in love with any of my gear. I find myself taking 2 combos with me most of the time with my maximum being 3.

So I decided I want to try and get 2 high end versatile rods, one spinning and one baitcaster and try to stick to those two combos for all of my fishing. I am only 5'8 and have a preference for shorter rods and cork but both of those things are negotiable. My budget is around $500 per rod. I mostly use walking topwaters, popmax, vision 110, weightless plastics, shakyhead, jika rig, square bills and lipless cranks, soft plastic swim baits (keitech, spark shad etc.) and small hardbody swim baits(less than 1 ounce)

I think I've pretty well got my baitcaster narrowed down to the megabass p5 destroyer cyclone. Haven't got a reel picked out yet but I'm leaning towards the steez SV TW.

However I am still completely undecided on what spinning rig to pair with this to achieve the greatest versatility. I've looked at numerous offerings from megabass, shimano and daiwa online. Not sure if I should go with a medium light spinning rod or medium. The steez ags looks appealing with it's wide weight range but is pushing the budget.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Minimalist 2 Rod Setup

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:55 pm

I've found the Xray blank to be very versatile (i.e. on a Kistler Zbone), and it's so sensitive that you can throw finesse baits on a 3-power rod (I do that a bunch with tubes in a local grass lake). I was going to suggest a Phenix K2 4-power, but it looks like they don't have a spinning rod above a 3 :( The K2 blank is super sensitive and versatile, and their 4-power is similar to a G Loomis 3-power.

On the casting side, I like the P5 Destroyers a lot. My only worry with your selection is that it might be a bit too light to be an all-purpose rod, especially if the spinning rod you choose is already lighter in power. A MB F4-1/2 rating is ~ a medium power.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Oh, and... I know it's not particularly sexy, but if I was faced with your situation I might just get a GLX 842 SJR and 844 MBR (or 843 if you want a lighter casting rod) and be done with it :) Both are under budget, both are rather awesome (easy to forget with all the shiny new rods that get discussed here a lot) and very proven and time-tested.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:20 pm
I figured with black friday coming up it would be the perfect time to purchase my first couple higher end rod/reels. I'm a bank/kayak angler and currently own 6 bass specific combos with most of my rods and reels falling around the $100 price point. However I'm not completely in love with any of my gear. I find myself taking 2 combos with me most of the time with my maximum being 3.

So I decided I want to try and get 2 high end versatile rods, one spinning and one baitcaster and try to stick to those two combos for all of my fishing. I am only 5'8 and have a preference for shorter rods and cork but both of those things are negotiable. My budget is around $500 per rod. I mostly use walking topwaters, popmax, vision 110, weightless plastics, shakyhead, jika rig, square bills and lipless cranks, soft plastic swim baits (keitech, spark shad etc.) and small hardbody swim baits(less than 1 ounce)

I think I've pretty well got my baitcaster narrowed down to the megabass p5 destroyer cyclone. Haven't got a reel picked out yet but I'm leaning towards the steez SV TW.

However I am still completely undecided on what spinning rig to pair with this to achieve the greatest versatility. I've looked at numerous offerings from megabass, shimano and daiwa online. Not sure if I should go with a medium light spinning rod or medium. The steez ags looks appealing with it's wide weight range but is pushing the budget.
For all those techniques that you mentioned are what I’ve been using this wild side rod for. Honestly my initial thoughts were that it was one of the most versatile rods I’ve used. I have caught fish with a jerkbait and cut it off to move closer to the docks and pitching DoLive craw next to the docks and catching them still. I’m planning on posting the write up by next weekend. It’s easily have become a favorite rod to pick up and even with only 10# floro I don’t feel like I’m under prepared. I tried jika rigs and Ned rigs with 1/8 jig heads but have not really gotten that bottom bite to be more convinced about the sensitivity of the rod, and of note the rod is under your budget by $200
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 am

You might want to consider an Ark Fishing Reinforcer for one or both of your setups: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewarkrodsrfc76mhfc.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:22 am

i would def go M over ML for the spinning rod.

id do nrx 852s (or glx 842s) and glx 843c. a third rod would be a heavy or 4 power jig rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 pm

BTW... What is this with people feeling there is a correlation between rod length and your height? There is none!

I am 5’10” in height and can pitch and flip baits with an 8’ stick when standing on my knees on the deck of a bass boat. Your height does not dictate anything with regards to a fishing rod.
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 pm
BTW... What is this with people feeling there is a correlation between rod length and your height? There is none!

I am 5’10” in height and can pitch and flip baits with an 8’ stick when standing on my knees on the deck of a bass boat. Your height does not dictate anything with regards to a fishing rod.
You could argue that it does matter for techniques that require a downward-facing rod tip, i.e. for walking a frog. A short angler and a long rod create a very obtuse angle, and makes it harder to work the bait. That said, I'm rather short at 5'6" (and a half! :lol:) and my frog rod is still a regular 7'3". I've walked frogs even when hip-deep in the water in waders. Just makes it a bit harder, and probably requires an experienced angler.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:02 pm
That said, I'm rather short at 5'6" (and a half! :lol:) and my frog rod is still a regular 7'3". I've walked frogs even when hip-deep in the water in waders. Just makes it a bit harder, and probably requires an experienced angler.
and I prefer a 6'-10" stick for working frogs :lol:

But yes, for the example you provided, I can understand. Otherwise, i don't buy the reasoning. 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:27 am

Mostly my preference for a shorter rod is linked to working tip down baits like previously mentioned. Other than that, yeah there is seemingly no link between height and rod length for me. I do also prefer shorter rods because I've mostly been fishing 5-6' trout rods for years and I am just more accurate and comfortable with shorter rods.

Anyway I ended up with a NRX 852s and a Megabass Otomat on the way. I feel like that leaves a small gap in versatility but should cover most of the baits I like to throw.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 am

I haven’t held or fished a P5 destroyer cyclone

But staying in P5

I would recommend the P5 Madbull

Steez a or sv up to you. I’d get steez a myself have madbulls with both

And a wind buster for spinning.

If money isn’t an issue get an exist for the wind buster

It can handle weightless senko to jerkbait

Great all around spinning rod, more powerful than most but versatile

I’ve got both and use them a ton
Last edited by bbates3 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:59 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:27 am
Anyway I ended up with a NRX 852s and a Megabass Otomat on the way. I feel like that leaves a small gap in versatility but should cover most of the baits I like to throw.
Nice choices... =D>
Cal, Managing Editor

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:34 am

bigfruits wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:22 am
i would def go M over ML for the spinning rod.

id do nrx 852s (or glx 842s) and glx 843c. a third rod would be a heavy or 4 power jig rod.
This is what I’d pick. For reels I’d go with a Certate LT 3000 and a Metanium in 7 gear ratio.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:09 am

Daiwa Certate for sure on the spinning rod. Simply outstanding.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:59 pm

megabass orochi braillist and enforcer would be my two picks from my arsenal....if you can afford to go up to the p5 line...xbites and windbuster would be a great combo too.....