Swim Jig Rod Suggestion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swim Jig Rod Suggestion

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:25 am

As the title says I'm looking for THE rod to throw 3/8oz swim jigs plus a trailer around sparse grass, pads, and wood. I tried the Orochi X4 "Black Elseil" (F4.5-70X4) and find the rod to slow. I have a hard time ripping it out of the grass and feeling those bites where they eat it and swim at you and you feel that slight "tick" that all bass anglers know and love. A buddy I fish with recommends the Megabass Destroyer F5-70X "Super Bandersnatch" but wanted to see if anyone on here has done some investigating with this technique. I would like to stay around 7ft as I am not crazy tall, fish from smaller boats or from the bank often, and would like to be able to cast fairly accurately. Some other rods that caught my eye or got me thinking were the F5.5-70X7 "Diablo Fast Move", F5-70X "Madbull" (recommended for deeper cranks on MB website so thinking might be too slow), and an NRX 843C MBR? As far as my budget goes I would consider the NRX about the most I would pay. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Swim Jig Rod Suggestion

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am

I've been throwing swim jigs a ton in sparse and heavy vegetation. Used a number of rods (bank fisherman, I don't always have them all with me):

1/4 and 5/16: Loomis GLX 843 and ZBone 733.
3/8 and 1/2: Dobyns Xtasy 754 and Destroyer FMJ.
3/4: Destroyer Bunker Buster.

All of those rods have a fast (but not XF) taper, and that's worked well for me. I'm a bank fisherman, so the "If I could only have Oone" question is rather complicated... I'd go with the Xtasy or FMJ depending on required casting distance. If I could have two, it would be the FMJ and Zbone to cover the 1/4-1/2oz range (and I do in fact take both rods a lot). I usually throw 3/8oz-1/2oz on the regular jig rod earlier in the morning, and once that bite dies, going to a finesse swimjig on the ZBone has worked well to keep fish biting.

All the options you mention seem to have a med-fast taper and be built for cranking. I'd definitely target the action of a traditional jig rod for this technique to drive the hooks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 am

Looks like you’re keyed in on Megabass? .... if so my suggestion is the Orochi XX Braillist... second choice, the Destroyer Javelin.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Another thing I failed to mention is that the jig I am using has a thin wire hook and I don't have a need to drive the hook home or pull fish out of heavy cover which is why I am leaning toward a more medium powered stick versus your traditional swim jig rods (medium-heavy to heavy).

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 am
Looks like you’re keyed in on Megabass? .... if so my suggestion is the Orochi XX Braillist... second choice, the Destroyer Javelin.
I have the Braillist but it is way too long for what I would be using it for- where I am throwing the jig it is usually at the bank around laydowns. I want to keep it around 7ft so I don't sacrifice too much accuracy - while I am sure I could learn to use the Braillist eventually I would like to keep the rod shorter so I can throw/skip under overhanging cover with ease. I also posted a reply with something I failed to mention in my original post- the swim jig I use doesn't have a heavy gauge hook it is very thin so I do not have a need to drive the hook home or pull fish away from heavy cover- I think both of these are a little overpowered for the job. I am not necessarily keyed in on Megabass I am just familiar with their sticks and know how great they can be for a technique and given this is a technique that I use very often I would like to have something that is designed exactly for it.
Last edited by MCROUT14 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am
I've been throwing swim jigs a ton in sparse and heavy vegetation. Used a number of rods (bank fisherman, I don't always have them all with me):

1/4 and 5/16: Loomis GLX 843 and ZBone 733.
3/8 and 1/2: Dobyns Xtasy 754 and Destroyer FMJ.
3/4: Destroyer Bunker Buster.

All of those rods have a fast (but not XF) taper, and that's worked well for me. I'm a bank fisherman, so the "If I could only have Oone" question is rather complicated... I'd go with the Xtasy or FMJ depending on required casting distance. If I could have two, it would be the FMJ and Zbone to cover the 1/4-1/2oz range (and I do in fact take both rods a lot). I usually throw 3/8oz-1/2oz on the regular jig rod earlier in the morning, and once that bite dies, going to a finesse swimjig on the ZBone has worked well to keep fish biting.

All the options you mention seem to have a med-fast taper and be built for cranking. I'd definitely target the action of a traditional jig rod for this technique to drive the hooks.
I forgot to mention I am throwing a thin wire hook swim jig exclusively- I think a fast taper would be that sweet spot to where I can feel that slack line tick. I am not fishing around stuff that I really need to wrench them out of just steer them around so I dont think I need the XF taper. What style hook are you usually throwing on each?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm
Another thing I failed to mention is that the jig I am using has a thin wire hook and I don't have a need to drive the hook home or pull fish out of heavy cover which is why I am leaning toward a more medium powered stick versus your traditional swim jig rods (medium-heavy to heavy).
The Diablo Fast Move, while an amazing stick, may have too much power for what you'd like to do here. I use mine for 1/2oz jackhammers plus trailer, and 1/2oz spinnerbaits.

I was originally going to say the C40 Evoluzion F4.5-610ti Elseil, but if the Black Elseil wasn't working for you the C40 probably/definitely will not.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:29 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm
I forgot to mention I am throwing a thin wire hook swim jig exclusively- I think a fast taper would be that sweet spot to where I can feel that slack line tick. I am not fishing around stuff that I really need to wrench them out of just steer them around so I dont think I need the XF taper. What style hook are you usually throwing on each?
6th Sense Divine Swim Jigs and Dirty Jigs Finesse Swim Jigs. I generally don't do straight swimming retrieves on them but jig/drag/hop/rip them along the bottom, and it sounds like I'm usually in more vegetation and timber than you are.

FWIW, my go-to regular jig (Reaction Tackle tungsten jigs) has a rather thin wire hook, but the FMJ doesn't feel overpowered on those hooksets. I landed an 8-pounder on that jig and that FMJ and the hook didn't bend out. Unless your jig hooks are seriously thin gauge, I don't think a Megabass F6 rod will be overpowered because of hooksets. (But the rod might be OP if you're throwing lighter fare, of course.)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm
I have the Braillist but it is way too long for what I would be using it for...
Whoa... so weird... when I opened the topic this morning , I didn’t see your original post. I thought this was Drake’s topic 😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm

GLX/NRX MBR 843 would be a good choice if you are open to something outside of Mb.

The Orichi XX EMTF gen 1 rod is a good 3/8 oz swim jig rod for what you describe but it is longer in length

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 pm
MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm
I have the Braillist but it is way too long for what I would be using it for...
Whoa... so weird... when I opened the topic this morning , I didn’t see your original post. I thought this was Drake’s topic 😂😂
Heh, I don't need another rod right now. I want one, but I don't need it :lol:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Heh, I don't need another rod right now. I want one, but I don't need it :lol:
yeah... i did find it odd you'd be asking :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:04 am

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:29 pm
MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm
6th Sense Divine Swim Jigs and Dirty Jigs Finesse Swim Jigs. I generally don't do straight swimming retrieves on them but jig/drag/hop/rip them along the bottom, and it sounds like I'm usually in more vegetation and timber than you are.

FWIW, my go-to regular jig (Reaction Tackle tungsten jigs) has a rather thin wire hook, but the FMJ doesn't feel overpowered on those hooksets. I landed an 8-pounder on that jig and that FMJ and the hook didn't bend out. Unless your jig hooks are seriously thin gauge, I don't think a Megabass F6 rod will be overpowered because of hooksets. (But the rod might be OP if you're throwing lighter fare, of course.)
I use the Strike King Tour Grade which has a similar but thinner hook compared to the Dirty Jigs Finesse hook- the heaviest cover I would be fishing would be pads but I don't throw it up in them just around the points on the edge so I don't really need to pull them out of there. Other than that I just reel it through milfoil or hydrilla and snap it free like you would a chatterbait or lipless, or redirecting off anything I can (usually laydowns). Usually, go with 20/30lb braid to 16lb FC. With how thin the hook is I don't need to crack them like you would with a standard jig hook. I also rarely let it fall unless I see a fish swirl or miss the bait I will usually just reel fast enough to get the trailer legs kicking- I am usually just creeping it which is where being able to feel that slack line "tick" is huge. I have an NRX 854 and I heard the FMJ fishes similarly- I'll have to try fishing it with that rod first to see if it is in the realm of possibility- right now I am leaning toward the 843 MBR.
Last edited by MCROUT14 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:10 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm
MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm
The Diablo Fast Move, while an amazing stick, may have too much power for what you'd like to do here. I use mine for 1/2oz jackhammers plus trailer, and 1/2oz spinnerbaits.

I was originally going to say the C40 Evoluzion F4.5-610ti Elseil, but if the Black Elseil wasn't working for you the C40 probably/definitely will not.
I was worried that would be the case with that stick as it is a half-power heavier than the Super Bandersnatch- I think I was just hoping for a reason to buy that stick :lol: I tried a 6'10" MH for this technique before and it cost me a good fish. The rod was just too short and stiff to detect a fish that eats it and swims at you. I need something a little longer so I can feel the bait dragging through the water almost but the Black Elseil seems more like a squarebill/reaction style rod and the Evoluzion has the same taper. ](*,)

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm
GLX/NRX MBR 843 would be a good choice if you are open to something outside of Mb.

The Orichi XX EMTF gen 1 rod is a good 3/8 oz swim jig rod for what you describe but it is longer in length
Definitely leaning toward the 843 MBR- do you have experience with either the GLX or NRX?

I have a Gen 1 Levante EMTF and while I agree that the action/power is there and if I was fishing open water it would be perfect but I need to be able to skip under over hanging cover with ease from a smaller boat or from the bank- I am just under 6ft tall so I don't think a 7'5" would be in my best interest.