what is the best one stop shop crankbait rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

what is the best one stop shop crankbait rod?

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:48 pm

i normally have 4 crank setups that i use on a friends boat to cover all depths (zodias 7 6 mh glass /dobyns 704 n 705/cumara 6 8 m)...i have been looking for one crank rod that can cover all depths and in a pinch can throw a 6xd or deep crank on days that i can only bring one crank rod with me...what are my options besides for megabass p5 javelin/ orocchi 2nd gen EMTF/ st croix 7 4 mh glass?

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: what is the best one stop shop crankbait rod?

Post by Scud_Muffin » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:55 pm

Bump, I’m wanting to hear the answer as well. Don’t have a crank bait rod yet so starting the research

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:14 pm

It’s not possible to throw a balsa flat side and a 10XD on the same rod. You will need at least two rods, in my opinion, to effectively fish all crank baits.. A Loomis 845 CBR will cover squarebills, lipless, and DT6’s through 12s, but would need a 906 to go up to DT16s or 6XDs.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm

If I had to pick one it would be my dobyns 764rm. It will throw small flat sides and square bills to smaller deep divers. It has the tip of the 704 coupled with the mid of the 705 and a little extra length that helps with light baits.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

The Majorcraft Nanoace 7'3" worm/jig rod bends a lot deeper than the fast action rating indicates.
It's a strange suggestion, I know, but it works well for me, from 1/4 oz flatsides up to the 6th sense crush dd and the 5xd/6xd. It is actually the most versatile rod I've ever owned, period(and I've owned a BUNCH of different rods!). Btw, it's excellent for traps, also.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm
The Majorcraft Nanoace 7'3" worm/jig rod bends a lot deeper than the fast action rating indicates.
It's a strange suggestion, I know, but it works well for me, from 1/4 oz flatsides up to the 6th sense crush dd and the 5xd/6xd. It is actually the most versatile rod I've ever owned, period(and I've owned a BUNCH of different rods!). Btw, it's excellent for traps, also.
I have this rod (Medium) and it's been sitting in my closet for years unused. Coincidentally, I have been trying to find a use for it this week, so I will try your recommendations with it.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:53 pm

slime king wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm
If I had to pick one it would be my dobyns 764rm. It will throw small flat sides and square bills to smaller deep divers. It has the tip of the 704 coupled with the mid of the 705 and a little extra length that helps with light baits.
i love my 704 n 705...use them for topwater/jerkbaits/sq bills and cranking under 12'...is the 764 a big broomstick handle??...i tried my friends 764 glass before and was turned off by how big and heavy it was...i don't mind my 7'6 zodias bc its strictly for deep cranking (6xds) but find its not so light to use all day long...i have tried the javelin but find for throwing 1 oz cranks may be at its limits...i just want one rod i can bring when i can only bring one crank setup with me...

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Scud_Muffin wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:55 pm
Bump, I’m wanting to hear the answer as well. Don’t have a crank bait rod yet so starting the research
what depths are u usually cranking in??....so far i find dobyns champion cb series are great rods...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:04 pm

As has been said, there really isn't one crankbait rod that can fish them all effectively. The Loomis CBR 845 blank is probably "the one" to have if you are a non-boater that can only bring one crankbait rod. It is what I brought when I would fish Pro-Am's as a non-boater many years ago. Today, I have a custom Mudhole 845 that I mostly throw 2.5's with. It will throw a 6XD, DD22 or a 1.5 if you need it to.

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:13 am

8-[
MRQturbo wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:55 pm
Scud_Muffin wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:55 pm
what depths are u usually cranking in??....so far i find dobyns champion cb series are great rods...
No idea! I’ve been primarily focusing on bottom contact, jerkbaits, and swimjigs, and have yet to really dive into crank baits but it’s next on my list. I was hoping to follow this and get an idea of a good baseline rod to start with. Either a St Croix legend glass or maybe a Loomis CBR.

But I am very much in the early learning stages. Researching the techniques on YouTube and seeing what rods people use. I fish a mix of bank fishing, wading if I’m in rivers, frameless pontoon, and I’m getting a kayak in the next year if all goes well.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:50 am

Looking at the Kistler Feel n Reel myself. Just wish it was a bit nicer in the handle. Blank is supposed to be pretty special.

Also, Edge had a blank called the NEO that was like the one the make for Kistler but it was rated to 2oz. It is sold out currently.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:43 am

7'9 Falcon Lowrider 12-25 heavy moderate.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:21 am

Cumara 7’ H/MF. Old rod, but still my favorite cranking rod. Super light for a H powered cranking rod, with enough power for most cranks. I’ve thrown BDS 1, and up to a 6XD on them, and also use one for frogging. A 7’ with 3/8-1 1/4oz ratings would be a great choice to cover close in work and also able to make the long casts with a wide range of cranks.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:35 am

The 764 rm is considerably lighter and smaller diameter blank than the 764 glass. I had the 765 cb glass at one point and it was heavy and clubby in my opinion. The only glass in my lineup is the old original tatula mh glass which is an awesome 3/8 oz chatterbait rod.[
quote=MRQturbo post_id=686391 time=1608947589 user_id=14169]
slime king wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm
i love my 704 n 705...use them for topwater/jerkbaits/sq bills and cranking under 12'...is the 764 a big broomstick handle??...i tried my friends 764 glass before and was turned off by how big and heavy it was...i don't mind my 7'6 zodias bc its strictly for deep cranking (6xds) but find its not so light to use all day long...i have tried the javelin but find for throwing 1 oz cranks may be at its limits...i just want one rod i can bring when i can only bring one crank setup with me...
[/quote]

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:57 am

If I could only have one, no doubt CBR 845. I have both the cinnamon blank and the IMX Pro. Longer handle on the IMX Pro is much better for hard-pulling baits like a 6xd. I have thrown a 6XD for 3 days straight with these rods. Not ideal, and you'll be worn out but it can be done. For mid-divers and squarebills, it's hard to beat.