Expride 6’10M vs Oneten Special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Expride 6’10M vs Oneten Special

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Happy New Year to you all.

Hoping you can help me sort out a mystery that has been puzzling me all season. I fished these two rods side by side, I couldn’t catch a fish on the Oneten Special while the Expride plenty. Same line and 110, cast into the same spot even. Ultimately, it comes down to whatever works but interested to learn what it could possibly be to be so different.

Thanks for the help and tight lines.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Expride 6’10M vs Oneten Special

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:48 am

One thing I forgot to ask is how's the action between the two rods and where you able to at least connect with a fish on the 110 special? Could have been imparting a varying degree of action to the lure thinking you were doing to same but actually not if the action of the rods are slight in any degree.. anyways check your pM
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33 am

What does “didn’t catch a fish” mean? They wouldn’t strike the bait? They did but they came off? And how do you work the bait, and in what conditions? Quick jerks with very short pauses in warm water, or full suspension between jerks in cold conditions?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:02 pm

I literally can’t get a bite

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 am

Which of the rods is the faster action of the two? Wondering if your style of jerkbait fishing is just more suited to a certain taper over another?
Also, watching this closely.. Was thinking of picking up that 6’10” expride myself, but occasionally one ten specials show up at very reasonable prices used here...
Luca :)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm

Still hard to debug from afar, but my main suspicion is that, through a combination of rod action and how you work the bait, you're unintentionally moving the bait (while it's supposed to suspend) when using the Oneten Special. And that it's suspending correctly while you're using the Expride. Shouldn't be as much of an issue during the hot months with quick action, but in colder water, when the jerkbait needs to suspend for several seconds between each rip (because the fish disregard it when it's moving) that might be a factor.

FWIW: I don't have a Oneten Special, but I use an Expride as my main jerkbait rod as well, with several others pinch-hitting during the season. And I didn't see that disparity you describe - been catching on all those other rods, as well. Takes a bit of work and adjustment to ensure that the bait is worked consistently across the rods, though.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 pm

I think both the Megabass and expride are the top choices for fishing small to medium sized jerkbaits, to be specific they excel at the vision 110, the greatest jerkbait ever made!

The 2 other rods I like just as much or better for different jerkbait scenarios are the Jackall Poison Adrena 6'11" medium+ and my favorite, 13 Envy 2 6'8" medium Jerk n pop rod.

In my honest opinion, Poison handles deep divers and larger baits better than expride and megabass and the Envy JNP beats them on fishing smaller jerkbaits.

You can't go wrong with any of these rods!