Oneten stick jerkbaits

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Oneten stick jerkbaits

Post by iabass8 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:06 pm

I've been doing alot of deep googling and very little comes up for the XXX f4 65k oneten stick. I'm looking for a rod to use for only jerkbaits. pretty much only 110s and 110+1 and a few duo realis. I'm 6'3 and hate longer jerkbait rods and this one at 6'5 seems pretty ideal but I can't find much on it. Anybody care to comment on the handle length and action of it? Says regular action but of the MB rods I have, "regular" seems kind of subjective. I want a short handle and a fast(ish) action rod that isn't overpowered by 110+1 of popmax if I use it for those. Spending that good ol stimulus money so I'm looking to keep this purchase stateside most likely at the TT. Any other rods I should be looking at? I'dl like to keep it around 300$

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Oneten stick jerkbaits

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:17 pm

If anybody is wondering....this is the stick i'm talking about
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=10650

can't find a ton on it.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:29 pm

Interesting rod for sure. I like the length. I'm going to order one when they get in stock and give it a shot.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 am

I have this rod.
The action is true regular IMHO and it will be OK for 110 and pop max, 1/2 oz is fine on it, but does not cast smaller 1/4 popx well at all.
It is a strange rod, the tip diameter it disproportionally large, it looks to me almost like the blank was cut in the wrong place, instead of the butt section, they shorten it from the top :)
The handle is short as expected for jerk bait applications but has this uncomfortable short and pointy real seat trigger.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm

PBP wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 am
I have this rod.
The action is true regular IMHO and it will be OK for 110 and pop max, 1/2 oz is fine on it, but does not cast smaller 1/4 popx well at all.
It is a strange rod, the tip diameter it disproportionally large, it looks to me almost like the blank was cut in the wrong place, instead of the butt section, they shorten it from the top :)
The handle is short as expected for jerk bait applications but has this uncomfortable short and pointy real seat trigger.
that's what I was dreading....thank you for the info sir. the search continues

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:44 pm

I've fished the XXX OneTen quite a bit with the 110 and the Pop Max. I'd agree that it is better with baits in that 3/8 to 1/2 oz range than it is with 1/4 oz baits, but I found it to be an effective, pleasant rod to fish. I'm not a huge fan of that Megabass reel seat type, but it never bothered me to the extent that the Fuji ACS seat did.

Since we're talking stimulus money, go all in and get the new P5 OneTen stick. Megabass nailed it with that one. I'm taller as well and still prefer shorter jerk bait rods both in casting and spinning in general. I threw a bunch of Rico and other 1/4 oz baits, up to Pop Max paired with a Steez CT, and had absolutely no issues in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range. The rod is incredibly light, well balanced, and has a smooth action that really does a great job keeping fish pinned with the 110. I've been using 8# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai on this rod with the Steez CT and have been very pleased.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 am

I have the X4 Oneten stick witch is also F4 and 6'5". I really like it for 110's, Jr's, and X-80's. I've been eying the XXX Version as well for 2nd option so thanks for starting this thread.

Anyone able to the compare the XXX to the X4 by chance (for the Oneten Stick)?

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:56 am

Hello,
I looked on all the photos, the handle looks very long for a jerkbait rod.
Does anyone know the handle length of the Oneten Stick from the end to the triggergrip? Ideally I would prefer around 12inch or less.
Also does the Oneten stick has enough power to drive deep the Oneten R+1, 2,3?
Thank you.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Tactical Bassin' says the Shimano Expride 6' 10" Medium is the best jerkbait rod money can buy. They are hard to get, though.
I'm going to try mine out soon. MB 110, 110+, Rerange.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:32 am

I love my XXX Oneten Stick, I've used it for suspending a 110 in the winter to ripping an X-120 for Smallmouth in the summer. It fishes exceptionally well. I prefer the shorter length for more bait control as well as less reach needed to net fish. It fishes my OSP jerkbaits around cover exceptionally well as the shorter length allows me to impart different actions to the bait. For the price, I think its hard to beat.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Tactical Bassin' says the Shimano Expride 6' 10" Medium is the best jerkbait rod money can buy. They are hard to get, though.
I'm going to try mine out soon. MB 110, 110+, Rerange.
If we listened to everything that TB has to say, we'd all be tying blood knots! ;)

The Expride 6'10"M is an incredible jerkbait rod and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours tremendously! That said, the rod used in this newish TB video is the P5 OneTen Stick discussed in this thread: https://youtu.be/bE_AAfnDeqc?t=1581 (can see it even better at the end), but then the video description says "Tim's Jerkbait Combo... Rod- Shimano Expride 6'10" Medium". Could have been an honest copy & paste mistake, of course.