2020 Zodias

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2020 Zodias

Post by Scud_Muffin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:25 am

Recently purchased the 2020 zodias in 610M, since I couldn’t track down the Expride in that model. I’ve handled the Expride before and I feel like this particular model is much more stiff than the Expride version. Never handled the previous generation zodias though.

Is it just me or is this new gen zodias a lot more stiff? I was trying to use this as a jerkbait/multipurpose rod a la Tactical Bassin’s claim that it’s great for that but this rod doesn’t seem to match their preferred qualities.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2020 Zodias

Post by bwjay » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:09 am

That's a little concerning. I sent in a 6'8ML spinning for warranty and they approved it but the rod is on backorder. It was one of my favorite rods because of how whippy it was, so fun for light baits. If the new rod is stiff I'm gonna be absolutely gutted. :(

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:20 am

To me, the old model Zodias were more stiff.
Even the old model Poison adrena were fairly stiff in that same length.

The 6'10 med expride kind of has it's own action designed for jerkbaits.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm

Interesting...ZDC72MLBFSA

The 7'2" ML xfast is designated BFS :-k
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:53 am

slipperybob wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm
Interesting...ZDC72MLBFSA

The 7'2" ML xfast is designated BFS :-k
The 7'2" ML expride is also designed as BFS, but I wouldn't consider it BFS.
To me it's just a medium light baitcast rod, not light enough to be considered a true BFS rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:46 am

I have a gen 1 Zodas 610 ML BFS. Its an awesome stick for 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 total weight. Ton of power too. Reminds me of my Steez Skyway shallow cover finesse but way cheaper and not as well balanced.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:03 am

I see...they should've made a L power one in bait casting.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 am

I got my warranty replacement today. They replaced my 6'8MLMF (ZDS268ML) with the new 6'9MLF (ZDS69MLA). The new 6'9 has to be a different blank entirely. It doesn't feel nearly as whippy, it's a bit stiffer and is probably more for jigs/worms/dropshot than moving baits which is what I loved the previous model for. I'm quite sad and I guess now I will have to hunt down the discontinued model. :(

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:36 pm

So curiosity got me...I bought the ZDC72MLBFSA. Originally I was holding out for the prior model the 6'10" ML casting but since they didn't make it, oh well. I settled on the 7'2" ML and after practicing casting in the back yard snow...I was totally impressed with the results. Personally I like rods just under 7 feet as they seem to work so much better for me as well as transporting.

Most notable was the monocoque handle and how that effect played out on my side slinging cast. I didn't expect such a smoothness and effortless result. There's a lightness to it that comes out during the casting motion. Oh yeah and the wonderful casting distance I was getting. Yeah my hands were freezing. I was using that 1/2 oz Spook and a 3/16th oz. Torpedo both stripped of hooks and props so they're great for snow practice casting. Personally I'd never consider the extra 2" over on a 7' on a rod to be much, but after the results, I'm okay with that.

Now I really wish they make a L power casting model in the 7' length well 7'2" will be okay too.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:50 pm

I went to freeze my hands again. Only this time I got a 1/4 oz fin spin minnow devoid of hooks and cast away into the snow. I still can't believe how well this rod is casting and how light the motion I'm putting into it. No weight resistance with that monocoque handle design. The reel is the Chronarch MGL with 20# J-Braid x8.

The initial motion for the cast is all the effort I put into it to get the lure going. The lightness of the rod overall means I don't need to impart anything more at the end of my cast. I can foresee a lot of fatigue reduction if I were to fish for extended periods.

I will say that the monocoque handle part seems to scratch easy. I scratched mine with the end of a duo clip. I suppose this particular clip was rather sharp.

I snag a tree branch and tug on the rod to check the tip load. Well it ain't no extra fast tip load like that of the St. Croix, but I don't have any ML extra fast St. Croix to compare just M power only.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:50 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:03 am
I see...they should've made a L power one in bait casting.
They did. They didn't make it state side. Even the 610 ML I had to get from TTT.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:36 am

Some more backyard snow casting and freezing up of my hands again today. So I got the prior model of ZDS170MLG and tried the casting just as a reminder in comparison against the ZDC72MLBFSA. 2" difference and a moderate actions vs extra fast action according to the label. While the prior model is listed as a G for glass I guess is a slower action, it's still no slouch either. It's not like a glass crank bait rod, something sort of in between. On it I put my Metanium MG7 and 15# Fireline Braid and ran a few cold casting same as was with the new Zodias a few days ago. Kind of windy today and the wind chill is harsh this morning.

Just to confirm, yeah it's doesn't have that wow different feel I got with the new Zodias monocoque handle. Also still didn't have that whoah ease of cast I was getting with the new Zodias monocoque handle either. In a way, it's hard for me to believe that a difference of 2" can also contribute to have this much feel result difference. They are different rods in many ways, yet similar in other ways too. At current I put my Chronarch MGL with 20# J-Braid on the ZDC72MLBFSA and it still casts very well. In fact I pulled that off from the other Zodias rod, just for cold casting backyard.

There are some slight changes to the reel seat and even the locking nut. The new one is just a little shorter but appears to be a little larger in diameter. Me personally would be fine with a graphite locking nut instead of aluminum. It's cold and freezing here in MN. Graphite is just a little less cold. Even with just this one rod, I'm seeing a difference at how beneficial changes affects things.

Also just notice there's an "Attention" on the blank. What's that for? Like a liability thing that if a person should grab upwards on the rod blank and it should break. Maybe just a reminder that rod tips are dangerous and can poke out eyes. Maybe it's a reminder to make sure the locking nut isn't on the blank. Then it finally dawn upon me. I was just happening to think long rod overhead tree limbs, electrical power lines, oh snap. That's thunder clouds and electrical power line structure symbols. Gosh they're so tiny.

Just have to wait a few months for open water to test out the results of actual lure fishing and all to see how lures responds.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:51 pm

ZDS76LA

Normally I don't backyard cold cast with the spinning rods at all but I decided that perhaps this time I will. I impulsively brought home the 7'6" Light power spinning moderate fast action rod. I was kind of looking for the 7' Light one but they didn't have it available. Again some slight changes the the reel seat and more EVA foam covering it. Same updated locking aluminum nut as the casting models.

I set up my old Sustain 1000FD with 4# ASSO Fluorolight line. Line is .20 mm diameter and has a significant weight more than standard nylon lines. It is expected to get less distance with this line but greater manageability under high winds due to it's weight. I noticed that the line at the top of the rotor position was touching the stripper guide ring and in a negative angle. Typically my line doesn't touch the guide ring at all, except when it's on the bottom rotor position. Actually checking the full rotation the line made full contact 360. Don't know if that makes any difference, but just notice it. As also with the Fuji K line guides flange guide legs is different from what I normally see on more standard line guide frames.

I was using the 3/16th oz. Torpedo. So with my first cast and total flop as I seemed to have forgotten my timing with the line release. That's what happens when switching from a bait casting reel from thumb to index finger. Plus I'm not used to the lighter butt from the monocoque handle design. There just so little weight there with the counter motion towards the end of the cast. I flop my casts a few more times until I steady with a two hand side cast. Typically I put less power into a spinning rod than I would into my casting rod for normal casting motion. Hanging the lure up on some branches on the ground showed that the overall rod has quite a bit of backbone to the blank.

It was freezing cold outside temps are just about 0F and plus a little wind makes for quick stiff cold fingers. As far as I can tell I wasn't getting a vibration feedback at the end of my cast that I'm used to from my Ugly Stick. Then again I wasn't casting a lead jig head for typical open water fishing nor was able to do an overhead cast. Overall I seem to be getting roughly the same casting distance as I was moderately getting with the casting 7'2" ML casting rod. So I put a little more power into the rod loading phase of the cast and the lure whipped out a bit further. I had to call it quits as my thumb was also beginning to feel the cold sting.

I'm satisfied with my results today.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:51 pm
ZDS76LA

Normally I don't backyard cold cast with the spinning rods at all but I decided that perhaps this time I will. I impulsively brought home the 7'6" Light power spinning moderate fast action rod. I was kind of looking for the 7' Light one but they didn't have it available. Again some slight changes the the reel seat and more EVA foam covering it. Same updated locking aluminum nut as the casting models.

I set up my old Sustain 1000FD with 4# ASSO Fluorolight line. Line is .20 mm diameter and has a significant weight more than standard nylon lines. It is expected to get less distance with this line but greater manageability under high winds due to it's weight. I noticed that the line at the top of the rotor position was touching the stripper guide ring and in a negative angle. Typically my line doesn't touch the guide ring at all, except when it's on the bottom rotor position. Actually checking the full rotation the line made full contact 360. Don't know if that makes any difference, but just notice it. As also with the Fuji K line guides flange guide legs is different from what I normally see on more standard line guide frames.

I was using the 3/16th oz. Torpedo. So with my first cast and total flop as I seemed to have forgotten my timing with the line release. That's what happens when switching from a bait casting reel from thumb to index finger. Plus I'm not used to the lighter butt from the monocoque handle design. There just so little weight there with the counter motion towards the end of the cast. I flop my casts a few more times until I steady with a two hand side cast. Typically I put less power into a spinning rod than I would into my casting rod for normal casting motion. Hanging the lure up on some branches on the ground showed that the overall rod has quite a bit of backbone to the blank.

It was freezing cold outside temps are just about 0F and plus a little wind makes for quick stiff cold fingers. As far as I can tell I wasn't getting a vibration feedback at the end of my cast that I'm used to from my Ugly Stick. Then again I wasn't casting a lead jig head for typical open water fishing nor was able to do an overhead cast. Overall I seem to be getting roughly the same casting distance as I was moderately getting with the casting 7'2" ML casting rod. So I put a little more power into the rod loading phase of the cast and the lure whipped out a bit further. I had to call it quits as my thumb was also beginning to feel the cold sting.

I'm satisfied with my results today.
I picked up this rod recently and its taper compares pretty close to a 901 NRX. It would be a good budget marabou hair jig rod for smallmouth.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:20 pm

So by chance I caved in and picked up the ML spinning Zodias ZDS70MLA and put it to a rod weight scale and saw on my cheap scale that it weighed in at 3.83 oz. Well compared to the previous 7' ML Zodias it weighed in at 3.64 oz. So it seems like the updated spinning rod gained some weight. Perhaps it's in the handle and locking nut as those seem to be a little bit bigger. The stripper guide also has a little more beefier frame but the upper line guide frames and tip guide frames are slightly thinner. By just feel alone, it seems like the updated model has a slight more backbone to them. Perhaps an ever slight more blank material or coating finish. So as curiosity goes, hung some 1 oz weights and doubled it on both ML rods and they seems to load up identical. So still wondering where the extra weight is coming in.

I also picked up the updated L spinning one ZDS70LA and put that to the weight scale and it came in at 3.75 oz.