Reviews medium powered rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dman
Angler
Angler

Reviews medium powered rods

Post by Dman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:10 am

I'm looking for TT real time reviews on some medium powered casting rods. There is abundant information here on GLoomis NRX,GLX 852C and the medium MBRs as well. There are also a lot of Kistler and Dobyns reviews (example: Champion Extreme 742C S/H). However, there aren't a ton of reviews on some of the below listed rods. Looking for a rod to cast small jigs, weightless Senkos, small 2.8 to 3.3 Keitechs, Shakey heads etc. I'm very interested in the St Croix EC70MF since TT gave it one of their best reviews. Looking for any feed back on the following rods:
Shimano Expride 7'2 medium light plus 1/8-1/2
Ark Reinforcer RFC71MXC 1/16 -1/2
ALX Zolo Speedfury 7'5 1/4 to 5/8
ALX Enox Hunch 7'0 1/4-5/8
Poison Adrena 7'2 medium 1/4-3/4
Wired2 Fish gave the Ark Reinforcer a great review but they don't mete out poor reviews! I've seen very little on the Shimano Expride and Poison Adrena in these particular models. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reviews medium powered rods

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:02 am

Dman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:10 am
I'm very interested in the St Croix EC70MF since TT gave it one of their best reviews. Looking for any feed back on the following rods:

Ark Reinforcer RFC71MXC 1/16 -1/2
Careful with the EC70MF, while it is one of my favorite sticks, if you look at the RoD Chart in the review, you'll see it tests out closer to a medium heavy powered rod.

The Ark Reinforcer RFC71MXC you listed above is a fine stick that should handle what you're looking to do quite well. Did you also catch our review of the 7'6" medium heavy in the same series?

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewarkrodsrfc76mhfc.html

I haven't fished any of the other rods so can't comment. Incidentally, if you're able to find and afford the 852C NRX you mentioned, I'd get that.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks Cal! I did read the review on the Ark medium heavy. Seems like an impressive rod. I do have the Kistler Helium 7'6 medium heavy! I'm not discounting the NRX 852C but it's soo expensive. I've heard good things about the GLX version as well at a cheaper price point!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:29 am

Dman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:25 am
I'm not discounting the NRX 852C but it's soo expensive. I've heard good things about the GLX version as well at a cheaper price point!
Yeah, that's why I qualified with the "if you can afford it" ... Unfortunately, I've not fished the GLX version, however, the MBR842C GLX is among my favorites too. The taper is just a bit slower than the 852C NRX. I'd imagine the GLX version of the 852, with the extra-fast taper, would be very worthwhile.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 am

I'm definitely going to check into the GLX MBR and the 852C. Thank you for the information on the St Croix!

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 pm

The 7'2" Medium Poison Adrena doesn't have too much information available or user experience but I have fished with it since it was released and I found it to excel for a wide range of technical methods.

1. Swimjigs in open water
2. Finesse swimbaits from 1/8 to 3/8 as optimal but can still fish 1/2 if necessary.
3. Weightless flukes and senkos are fantastic.
4. Bottom contact in shallower water and lighter rigs and jigs.
5. Deep diving jerkbaits.

It is very versatile and you'll find many more uses than what ive used it for!

Expride 72 light.

Sweet light baitcast rod for dropshotting, finesse jigs and plastics, light mojo rig, shallow finesse swimbaits, neko & flickshake rigs.