Anyone try the 7’4” heavy poison adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Anyone try the 7’4” heavy poison adrena

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Been debating on trying one for a bit now and noticed my local shop has one in stock. Curious what you like it for! It’s rated 3/8oz to 2oz so it’s got a wide range. Love to hear your thoughts. Figured it could be good for anything from Texas rigged creature baits, Alabama rigs, heavy spoons, larger swimjigs, heavy paddletails, and even whopper ploppers due to its heavier rating and mod/fast taper?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone try the 7’4” heavy poison adrena

Post by Revofisher » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:51 am

i have owned this model for a bit and its pretty versatile ive thrown footbabll jigs , tx rigs, chatterbaits, large topwater walkers and ploppers and mag draft 6 with the exposed treble hook at the bottom. the tip is softer with all the power in the mid to lower section of the blank. shimano has it listed as more of a swimbait rod which it is good for in the weight range.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Not the same rod, but I have an older model 7' H Mod-fast (170H-SB). It is a Swimbait model and and rated 3/8 - 2 oz. Other than length I believe this would be pretty similar to the rod you referenced. The sensitivity is good and the lure ratings are pretty accurate. Mine loads up nicely with 3/8 oz lures and I have thrown even lighter weights. It handles 2 oz swimbaits, but I haven't fished any other lures on the upper end.

I bought it for swimbaits and it excels with those, but like Revofisher I found it to be a very versatile rod. It is great with any treble hook lures (I love it for squarebills) and it makes an awesome chatterbait or spinnerbait rod. I haven't use mine for jigs and plastics because I prefer longer rods and faster actions for those techniques, but I think the 7'4" would be a better fit for those applications. Overall I'm very happy with mine.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Yeah, I bought one. :big grin:

My plan is to really use it for my Sebile Spin Shad the big one that weighs like 1.5 oz. Maybe I will try my big Giant Chubby Darter. I forget how much it weight and just double checked, it's 3.5 oz. Oh well I'll give a whirl and see how that works out. I may have to get a heavier powered rod.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:43 am

I have that rod.

It's a stout rod for sure. I mostly use it for flipping and punching heavier end of the spectrum weights. Almost always use if for braid too. I have it paired with the 6.2:1 gear ratio 2020 Metanium. It's balanced absolutely perfectly with that setup. Almost feels like nothing in your hand.

I also have the 7'3" MH Adrena. I'd say the 7'3" is a more versatile rod than the 7'4".

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:43 am
I have that rod.

It's a stout rod for sure. I mostly use it for flipping and punching heavier end of the spectrum weights. Almost always use if for braid too. I have it paired with the 6.2:1 gear ratio 2020 Metanium. It's balanced absolutely perfectly with that setup. Almost feels like nothing in your hand.

I also have the 7'3" MH Adrena. I'd say the 7'3" is a more versatile rod than the 7'4".
Thanks for the feedback
I’m not a fan of the 7’3” although I have two of them.
I wish they were faster
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks for the feedback
I wish they were faster
You'd probably really like the 7'2"H Adrena then. Very sensitive and just the right amount of faster tip than the 7'3"MH.

I use my 7'3"MH for a lot of different things, but I will agree it's mostly on the lighter end of the spectrum for bait weights.

For my money, I think the 7'4"H is one of the most sensitive truly heavy rods out there. Especially when paired with braid and the 2020 Met, it's NRX level sensitive for the amount of heavy backbone it has.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Thank you very much.

Current set up for jigs is my glx 894c, and my paddletails, chatterbaits, and spinnerbaits is my 7’2” medium heavy expride.

I’m selling off my envy black 7’6” heavy extra fast which is my t-rig rod and Carolina rig rod and would like a replacement. That’s where I’m looking at the adrena’s. I was hoping to stay a bit longer but not too keen on it being the mod-fast. Main thing tied on it will be a t-rig, and then to try Alabama rigs.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm

goldrod wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:43 am
I have that rod.

Thanks for the feedback
I wish they were faster
After verification of what I do have it turns out I have the 7’2”
So I’m not sure 🤔 right now. Probably should sell them since I haven’t used them in a while.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm

So I’m not sure 🤔 right now. Probably should sell them since I haven’t used them in a while.
There's 2 different actions in the 7'2" category for Adrenas. A 7'2"M and a 7'2"H. Very different rods.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm

There's 2 different actions in the 7'2" category for Adrenas. A 7'2"M and a 7'2"H. Very different rods.
I have the heavy.
Again I got it wrong the first time. Have three of the PA with D7 reels on them and they’ve been on the rack for a while as I haven’t really been using them.
The third one is the 6’11” rod.

I was interested in the 7’4” rod but I think I wait for more reviews and input.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:24 am

Let me know if you decide to sell some of them. I have 5 already but could always use more lol.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:24 am

I have a 7’2 H that I’m about to list. It is less than a month old. Incredible rod, but I want the new NRX.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:19 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am
goldrod wrote:

Thanks for the feedback
I wish they were faster
You'd probably really like the 7'2"H Adrena then. Very sensitive and just the right amount of faster tip than the 7'3"MH.

I use my 7'3"MH for a lot of different things, but I will agree it's mostly on the lighter end of the spectrum for bait weights.

For my money, I think the 7'4"H is one of the most sensitive truly heavy rods out there. Especially when paired with braid and the 2020 Met, it's NRX level sensitive for the amount of heavy backbone it has.

I finally got my hands on it today. I was shocked how light it was. It’s definitely slower then I was hoping. I’d really like a rod for c-rigs, t-rigs and large top water. I think it would make a wicked top water rod, and moving bait rod, but the tip feels too slow for t-rigs. What’s your thoughts on it

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:19 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am
goldrod wrote:

Thanks for the feedback
I wish they were faster

I finally got my hands on it today. I was shocked how light it was. It’s definitely slower then I was hoping. I’d really like a rod for c-rigs, t-rigs and large top water. I think it would make a wicked top water rod, and moving bait rod, but the tip feels too slow for t-rigs. What’s your thoughts on it

That’s what I was afraid of yet expecting