Frog Rod that’s not 7’

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Frog Rod that’s not 7’

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Any suggestions from personal experience
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Frog Rod that’s not 7’

Post by bwjay » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm

Are you looking for something shorter or something longer?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 pm

bwjay wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm
Shorter
Meant to say under 7’
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:10 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 pm
bwjay wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm
Shorter
Meant to say under 7’
Gotcha. No experience here as I found it hard to find a lightweight, high power rod under 7'. I think my 6'9MHXF Helium3 could do it but not in the thick weeds we get in Minnesota in the summer. Even my 7'HXF was a little underpowered so I upgraded to an Expride 7'3XH, which is a little more of a pool cue than I would like, but it certainly yanks those suckers out of the thick stuff.

I'll be watching the thread to see suggestions though as a short mid-tier frog rod would be very interesting.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Megabass P5 Super Destroyer is an option as long as you aren't trying to make extremely long casts and fishing parking lot type mats. It has the right tip and plenty of back bone for skipping frogs under over hangs and docks, is light, well balanced, and not that a frog rod has to be sensitive, but it has that going for it too...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm

I seem to remember a prominent fisherman fishing a 6'9" or so frog rod, but I can't remember/find it now. I know of these, though:

Falcon has a Jason Christy Frog Rod at 6'11".
Cashion has a 7' frog rod in the John Crews Series.

Super Destroyer is an option in more open water indeed, but I won't use mine as a dedicated frog rod (not enough power IMO). Powell Max 705 CEF is in that same category.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm

Legit Design makes a really interesting 6’9” rod designed around frog fishing. Arundel Tackle imports then into the US and provides a stateside warranty, they also have a video briefly covering that particular sub-model.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/4CbU1TWqy5A[/youtube]

The unsanded blank to keep the line from sticking on the blank is a cool touch I’ve never seen stated explicitly before. I’ve also found them to be very responsive when asking specifics about rods through the website.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm
I seem to remember a prominent fisherman fishing a 6'9" or so frog rod, but I can't remember/find it now. I know of these, though:

Super Destroyer is an option in more open water indeed, but I won't use mine as a dedicated frog rod (not enough power IMO). Powell Max 705 CEF is in that same category.
Thanks for the response. I have a question regarding the SD. Do you have the old or P5 version super destroyer?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Legit Design makes a really interesting 6’9” rod designed around frog fishing. Arundel Tackle imports then into the US and provides a stateside warranty, they also have a video briefly covering that particular sub-model.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/4CbU1TWqy5A[/youtube]

The unsanded blank to keep the line from sticking on the blank is a cool touch I’ve never seen stated explicitly before. I’ve also found them to be very responsive when asking specifics about rods through the website.
I was just on the website looking at the specs of that rod. They have two but the 6’9” is the one I was looking at and giving consideration

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:40 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Megabass P5 Super Destroyer is an option as long as you aren't trying to make extremely long casts and fishing parking lot type mats. It has the right tip and plenty of back bone for skipping frogs under over hangs and docks, is light, well balanced, and not that a frog rod has to be sensitive, but it has that going for it too...
Thanks Gary
It’s number 3 on my list right now. It’s such a beautiful rod but it’s versatility is so appealing

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:32 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm

Thanks for the response. I have a question regarding the SD. Do you have the old or P5 version super destroyer?
I got the new P5. It's a stout little rod and it can do frogs. But for a dedicated frog rod I think it's a) a power to low and b) too slow, it's a typical Japanese taper (officially it's a Med-Fast, and feels like it). I like my frog rods to be XFast for those distant hooksets.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Major Craft Speedstyle 6'9" Frog Rod. They're actually on sale on their website now for under $160. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:40 pm

How short do you want to go?

I got onto a shorty frogging kick a year or so ago, I think I posted a thread about it with some info here.

I ended up with a Daiwa Black Label LG 631MHFB-FR and love it. It's like a sawed-off 844c with a slower taper and it's really sensitive despite being from the "Limber Graphite" part of the line. It's a frog walking machine and casts like a dream, very accurate and more distance then it has hooksetting power. Frog hookserts have been very solid so long as I can keep my slack managed, but it's obv not a rod for long range or very heavy cover fishing. It's power/taper make it really good for single-hook moving baits and it's got enough tip to cast a weightless Zoom Super reasonably well. It's becoming one of my favorite rods and it lives in my car spring through fall.
1.PNG
1.PNG (26.35 KiB) Viewed 3828 times

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm

I'm looking at the 6'9" HRB 2020 Fuego rod. Looks like an inexpensive rod with enough backbone for frog hooksets. It's well under $100. It's almost disposable for that price, and I need something for trekking through the brush around my little private ponds and lakes.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:40 pm
How short do you want to go?

I got onto a shorty frogging kick a year or so ago, I think I posted a thread about it with some info here.

I ended up with a Daiwa Black Label LG 631MHFB-FR and love it. It's like a sawed-off 844c with a slower taper and it's really sensitive despite being from the "Limber Graphite" part of the line. It's a frog walking machine and casts like a dream, very accurate and more distance then it has hooksetting power. Frog hookserts have been very solid so long as I can keep my slack managed, but it's obv not a rod for long range or very heavy cover fishing. It's power/taper make it really good for single-hook moving baits and it's got enough tip to cast a weightless Zoom Super reasonably well. It's becoming one of my favorite rods and it lives in my car spring through fall.

1.PNG
You had me at 844c.
If it is one rod that I honestly miss it’s my old 844imx’s cause I had two but one had the webie seat. Sucks to remember selling them