Light action spinning rod suggestions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Light action spinning rod suggestions

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:37 pm

I've been shopping around for a light action spinning rod for hair jigs and Neds and have access to zero stores for hands on review.
I have used a cheap Quantum Micro MXP 6'6" Light panfish rod and it worked surprisingly well, but it needed a bit more length and a touch more backbone. The way the rod would load up and launch a 1/16oz jig was great, but I broke it.
I have a Kistler Helium 7'ML and a Daiwa Cronos 7'6" MML but I want something a notch down in power.
Rods I have been considering- 2020 Zodias 7' Light, Dobyns Sierra 700 or 701, Phenix M1 7'2" Light or iRod Genesis 7'3" Ultra Finesse ML.
Anyone have some reviews on the rods above or other suggestions?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Light action spinning rod suggestions

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Take a look at the 7’6 light Zodias. I picked one up recently and compared the action to my 901 NRX. It is very similar and has a just a touch more backbone. I haven’t had the chance to fish the Zodias yet as the ramps are still closed here in Wisconsin.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 am

I have the Tatula 7'6" MML and I find it to be really solid for both of those techniques. I don't know how the Cronos feels in comparison but aside from my trout rods, I can't see myself going any lighter for those techniques. It's got lots of backbone but a very light tip section, and it balances really well with a 14 Caldia 3012.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:46 am

Although I have not used it, the Loomis IMX Pro SJR 901S feels amazing in store

played with one the other day

Sounds like it would be perfect

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:47 am

Think about the new St Croix Victory VTS610MLXF.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 pm

The updated Zodias spinning rods have quite the backbone on them. The upper section will flex very good with the power rating but the mid to lower section will hold a big fish well.

I played with the Phenix M1 in the store last year before settling on the Shimano Zodias. While the Phenix are also great rods, they are more of a tradition flex in the fast power. So a bit more forgiving than the Zodias. The M1 have a better vibration transmission feel over the Featherlite series.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:55 pm

What's your upper limit? TW has a 25% off spring sale and starting April 28 you could get an Ark Reinforcer for under $300. Around $200 I'd look at the Megabass Levante Whipsnake and the Powell Max Spinning Rod 7' Light, as well.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm

I got the zodias 7'6" light and i love it. The few times i took it out I've used it throwing 1/8 oz jig heads w/ a 2.8 keitech and ned rigs but i did lose a few smallies on the ned but think the fish weren't eating it good and the bite was very finicky.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! As much as I wanted to try a Zodias, it sounds like it's a Light+ and I'm looking for a true light or even a wimpy light. The Phenix M1 might be my best bet from the sounds of it due to not wanting to spend $250+ on some of the G Loomis offerings.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:49 am

KlingerNOK wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:31 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions! As much as I wanted to try a Zodias, it sounds like it's a Light+ and I'm looking for a true light or even a wimpy light. The Phenix M1 might be my best bet from the sounds of it due to not wanting to spend $250+ on some of the G Loomis offerings.
I feel like you will be in ultra light territory by going lighter than the Zodias.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:51 pm

I have the 7' L Zodias, and it has a fantastic action. It's a perfect Ned rod, and is very versatile for any light baits.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:35 pm

The Zodias would be an excellent choice. For Ned rigs and hair jigs I like the 7'6" rod for distance, hooks sets, keeping fished pinned and working lures over rocks (when working the bottom).

I'd agree with HobeyBaker, if the Zodias light is too powerful you may want to consider some ultra light rods in your mix.

Good luck in your search.