13 Fishing Defy Black Crankbait Casting Rod 7'4" update

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

13 Fishing Defy Black Crankbait Casting Rod 7'4" update

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:40 am

I bought three of these rods back in January, and have been fishing them ever since, with both jerkbaits and shallow cranks. They cast really well, but I hadn't caught a good fish on one to see how it performed "under load".
Well, that ended yesterday.
I was fishing a home painted black/red/orange 2.5 crankbait on a shallow grass flat, next to deep water, when I got slammed. The fish began to dive into the grass, so I had to horse it out to deeper water quickly. Even though I felt one of the trebles pull free, the other held, and, after digging deep several times, and jumping twice, I was able to lead the fish to my net.
8 lbs of post spawn beauty!
Wow, what a way to break in a new cranking rod.
The rod turned the fish just fine, and the parabolic bend kept it pinned even when it jumped.
I fish the California Delta, so I had worried that the rods might be too light for hand to hand combat, but no more!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Defy Black Crankbait Casting Rod 7'4" update

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 pm

And it's only $69.99 at TW!

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 pm

I know 13 rods have had a lot of issues with breakage, but I've had pretty good luck with the quality and I think they offer great value for the dollar.

Congrats on that awesome fish! And there is still a lot of fishing left for 2021!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Aliexpress rods are better than 13fishing offerings.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 pm
I know 13 rods have had a lot of issues with breakage, but I've had pretty good luck with the quality and I think they offer great value for the dollar.

Congrats on that awesome fish! And there is still a lot of fishing left for 2021!
I've fished several of the 13 rods for more than two years, and caught a lot of good fish that I swung into the boat, because I'm 73 and it's really hard for me to get down and then back up to lip them.
I haven't had any issues with rod breakage so far.
If I do, I'll report back here.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:20 pm

i've got the 7'9 defy black, and the 7'3 defy chrome and like both of them. i really wish they would do a 6'9 or 6'10 version of the 7'3 defy chrome. i've thrown spinnerbaits with it before and really liked it, but i prefer a shorter rod.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm
Interesting. Could you share which models you fished and specifically (weight, balance, power, sensitivity,...) you found to be so bad? Also if you could add what brands you feel are far superior in the afore mentioned attributes at a similar price point I would love to here about them. My experience is primarily with the Envy models.

I am always interested in finding the "next best thing" so I would greatly appreciate your advice as to another brand that is far better. I'm always looking to improve on my line up. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 pm

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 pm
SSS wrote:
Interesting. Could you share which models you fished and specifically (weight, balance, power, sensitivity,...) you found to be so bad? Also if you could add what brands you feel are far superior in the afore mentioned attributes at a similar price point I would love to here about them. My experience is primarily with the Envy models.

I am always interested in finding the "next best thing" so I would greatly appreciate your advice as to another brand that is far better. I'm always looking to improve on my line up. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Had the omen black gen 1. Couldn't be any worse. Poor sensitivity and both had the tip explode on me in under a season. There's a reason why they replace these with no question asked, their blanks are so cheap and of poor quality that it doesn't cost them anything to replace the rods. Its just Favorite rods.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:05 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 pm
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
SSS wrote:

Had the omen black gen 1. Couldn't be any worse. Poor sensitivity and both had the tip explode on me in under a season. There's a reason why they replace these with no question asked, their blanks are so cheap and of poor quality that it doesn't cost them anything to replace the rods. Its just Favorite rods.
As I posted, I've been fishing the Defy Black Crankbait Rod hard since I got three of them in February, but I didn't want to post a "review" until I caught a good fish. The 8lber that I caught on a 2.5 squarebill qualified, but I've caught lots of fish in the 2-3lb class since I go the rods, mostly on jerkbaits and smaller cranks.
I've been fishing the Defy Black Casting Rods for several years, mainly for light jigs and texas rigged worms, and they have also caught fish up to 4lbs with no problems, and no breakage.
I used to fish G Loomis rods, the GLX models, and I have broken several of them, both on the hookset and while fighting fish.
I am cheap, so I waited for the rods with the actions I wanted in the price range I wanted to become available.
Maybe you might want to try one of their newer rods. They don't break the bank, and they perform.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:39 pm

I have omen black 1st gen and while it is pretty heavy it is nice rod. I have 7’1” 2 piece version and it is still going strong although I haven’t fished it for a while. It was subjected to hell of an abuse, bushwhacking and wading rivers for pike.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm

SSS wrote:
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up. As I mentioned I've not had any problems with my Envys and a couple have boated a lot of fish. I do have a fairly wide circle of fishing friends/competitors and I have heard of a number of breakage issues in the past. In my hands the Envys are nice rods, good sensitivity, a little heavier but well balanced. Thanks again for the follow-up. Tight lines

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:32 pm

The 13 Envy black 2 Chatter/crank has quickly become my go to rod for long distance casting chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, & swimjigs!

The envy jerkpop is hands down the best jerkbait rod ive ever used!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm
SSS wrote:
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
SSS wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up. As I mentioned I've not had any problems with my Envys and a couple have boated a lot of fish. I do have a fairly wide circle of fishing friends/competitors and I have heard of a number of breakage issues in the past. In my hands the Envys are nice rods, good sensitivity, a little heavier but well balanced. Thanks again for the follow-up. Tight lines
I used to know the owner of Irod, Matt Newman. He told me he had a garage full of reject rods from the first overseas supplier he used. When he switched suppliers, his problems were over. Maybe it's the same kind of thing with 13 Fishing. They sure got the Defy line right, and at affordable prices.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 pm
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm
SSS wrote:
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
SSS wrote:

I used to know the owner of Irod, Matt Newman. He told me he had a garage full of reject rods from the first overseas supplier he used. When he switched suppliers, his problems were over. Maybe it's the same kind of thing with 13 Fishing. They sure got the Defy line right, and at affordable prices.
Great point. Sometimes we forget the list of top brands/models that have had issues in the past.