Destroyer Valdivia as EMTF compliment?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
J_Source28
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Destroyer Valdivia as EMTF compliment?

Post by J_Source28 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm

Hey TT, I'm hoping to hear from some folks that own the Destroyer Valdivia, and the first generation Orochi XX EMTF .
I'm looking for a big brother of similar length to the EMTF for heavier bottom contact duties, like 1/2-3/4oz footballs, magnum shaky heads, and some heavy texas rigs. How would the Valdivia do as a compliment to the EMTF on the heavier side of things? I'm hoping it has enough tip to make some long casts in deeper water, considering it's a 7'6 rod. I'm also open to other recommendations. 7'5 or 7'6 in length being my max, due to storage restrictions.

Thanks in advance.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Destroyer Valdivia as EMTF compliment?

Post by djd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 am

I would reach out to Gary at the Tackle Trap. I’m sure he has plenty of hands-on experience with both rods. He has always been spot on when describing/recommending rods IMHO.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Destroyer Valdivia as EMTF compliment?

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:57 pm

I have a Valdivia and it is certainly capable of those duties. It is a long caster for sure. I run braid on it as I do use it as a frog rod primarily, but it does double duty for contact baits in heavy cover also.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabas ... divia.html