Spinning rod for bubba drop shot

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning rod for bubba drop shot

Post by darrin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 am

Hi,

Looking for suggestions for a bubba spinning drop shot rod. I fish the CA Delta and it would be replacing a Dobyns DX 763. I've looked at the Steez heavy spinning and the XX Enforcer. I also
thought about the Lamiglas SI. I like the specs on the NRX inshore, but I've never held the rod (I worry the inshore rod would be too much for freshwater applications). Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Darrin

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spinning rod for bubba drop shot

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Probably a dumb question, but before responding I thought I'd ask: are you looking for a powerful rod with a soft tip or stiffer tip and do you prefer fast/Xfast action or more of a mod-fast action?

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:13 pm

For drop shotting, I'd prefer a bit softer tip with fast action. I normally use straight 12lb fluoro.

Thanks.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 am

G. Loomis EX6 822S DSR

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:04 am

I use a 853 SJR. Another rod to look at is a St Croix 7’1 MHXF. The tips on both rods are soft but have a lot of backbone.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm

I was thinking of the Legend X 7 MHF, Elite 7 MHF or Elite 7'1" MHXF, depending on the handle type and action you like.

Unfortunately I haven't fished any of these models, but I do have a 6'10" M XF Elite rod. It has good sensitivity and it has excellent power for a Medium spinning rod. I realize it is not enough power for what you need, but I would think the MH rods are pretty powerful given how the medium feels. I would say it is at least a half to 3/4 power heavier than my medium G Loomis spinning rods. The action of my 6'10" rod is a true extra fast (in my opinion).

The Conquests 843SJR might be an option. The bait casters feel noticeably more powerful in my hands than their GLX counterparts.

The NRX Inshore rods would be a very interesting experiment. I've always wondered how much more power these had vs the bass models. The 842/3 or 882/3 would be fun to try. If you went this route I would love to hear what you think about them. Given the price point I'm a little leary about experimenting with one especially since I don't really have or need any MH spinning gear for the fishing I do. I know: "go big or go home" :).

Good luck in your search.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:52 am

853 GLX would be my purchase if going after one for this technique. Also the Steez AGS 7'6" ML/M has a very wide range for weight. Good luck!
Philippians 4:6

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't thought about St Croix in a while. It's about time I checked them out again.

I actually have a GLX 783 (forgot about that one) that I should also try out. It's a bit shorter than I would like for my intended use, but I already have it. I didn't realize there was a 843 SJR in the Conquest line. Might have to check that out, too, as lots of people rave about the Conquest.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Lots to choose from. Hope I make the right choice!

Darrin

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:58 am

The Megabass T.S Destroyer "775" might be worth looking at too- might be a little stiff if you still intend on using light line.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12116