Old-18 Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Old-18 Rods

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:22 am

RX Angler uses these rods for bfs in the Texas area in salt water for reds , trout, and flounder. I’ve seen some of his light and ultra light setups and the varivas PE line ( thanks Rick , appreciate you telling me about this line ).
My question is has anyone else used these rods?
I’m not sure if this guy is sponsored or not but would like to get some other opinions
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Old-18 Rods

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm curious as well I figured they were the six gill of the saltwater world from their Facebook ad.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm

The ones I'm seeing use the rods are sponsored in some way.

I was intrigued by the rods as well since they are local shop so when I got back to the states I went looking. Played with them at one of the fishing shows and wasn't impressed especially at the price point.

Feels more like your normal gulf coast offerings of a light - med light, the line rub when loaded is pretty bad where some areas sit under the rod blank.

I'm one to impulse buy and learn from my own mistakes but I walked away from them.
Just my opinion from handling the rods, they could become something totally different on the water but to me there's other options within that price range for that price point

Nwlfish
Angler
Angler

Post by Nwlfish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 am

I use them - they are great for the price. ~3.6 oz for a medium light. American made blank, titanium guides, winn grips etc.

Good backbone too - pulled in a 40 inch redfish

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Nwlfish wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 am
I use them - they are great for the price. ~3.6 oz for a medium light. American made blank, titanium guides, winn grips etc.

Good backbone too - pulled in a 40 inch redfish
If not mistaken only the most expensive is assembled in the US, remember them saying that but I could be wrong as I wasn't paying attention.

Nwlfish
Angler
Angler

Post by Nwlfish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah you're right - I have the suppressor which is assembled in TX. I went to the site in Magnolia TX to pick it up, and also got to speak with the master builder. Great company old 18

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Nwlfish wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm
Yeah you're right - I have the suppressor which is assembled in TX. I went to the site in Magnolia TX to pick it up, and also got to speak with the master builder. Great company old 18
That's what I need to do, make my way there and check it out with the people themselves, maybe just buy and try myself and hopefully it sells if I don't like it