Looking for a 2 piece USDM spinning rod under $300 that can throw drop shot and small paddle tails

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for a 2 piece USDM spinning rod under $300 that can throw drop shot and small paddle tails

Post by oops » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 am

Socal guy, just spent a week fishing on the east coast. Took two UL 2 piece and two NRX rods. Being able to carry on the 2 piece rods instead of stressing over checking the tube with the 2 NRX was really nice and not having to stuff 7 feet of rod into a friends 7.5 feet of car would be nice. Fished a 3 inch swimbait or ned the whole time and dont really see myself throwing much else on my return trip. I already have a 2 piece elite tech smallmouth casting rod I'm happy with, but would like a spinning rod that feels good too.

I'm not expecting a miracle and know that I won't get the same experience on the rod I'm looking for that I get on an 822 SYR but I value the convenience over the superior rod. USDM rods are pretty sparce when it comes to quality 2 piece options. I see that Fenwick has both a World Class and Techna offering that look pretty appealing, and St Croix has a variety of options among their varying lines. Options from other manufacturers seem very, very limited.

While I can't know how the rod feels without holding or fishing it, I imagine that I am looking for something rated ML/XF or M/F. I think anything rated MH will be way too meaty, and I fear that something rated ML/F might be a bit too mushy to fish bottom contact really well. Roughly a 4-10lb line and 3/16-3/8 lure rating. While I've seen a couple rods that look decent, their heavier lure ratings frighten me a bit as I don't feel like something that could comfortably throw 5/8 is the rod I'm looking for here. Definitely something under 7', which shouldn't be an issue since it seems like the industry standard for these sorts of rods is in the 6'6" to 6'10" range these days.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a 2 piece USDM spinning rod under $300 that can throw drop shot and small paddle tails

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 am

That’s a tough price point, imo. Not by your fault at all, just not a lot there. It’s all $100-$150 or $400+ SC Legend Elite, which still doesn’t have a 2pc. MXF. I think the Legend Elite MF 2pc. would likely work for you though. Keep an eye on eBay and ALFC for barely used deals.

Maybe even the previous model Legend Elite. Those are the rods I’m currently running. Bought them all close to half off when they introduced the current iteration. Bought spare tips for them all, too!

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a 2 piece USDM spinning rod under $300 that can throw drop shot and small paddle tails

Post by Hulkster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 am

Have you considered 3 piece options?

I have two G. Loomis Escape travel spinning rods that are awesome, they come with a rod bag and hard PVC rod tube that will fit diagonally in the largest checked baggage suitcase.

I have the 7 foot M power and 6'9 MH power but I believe they make a 7 foot ML power which might be perfect for what you are looking for.