Rod choice for one rod fishing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Rod choice for one rod fishing

Post by RustyHook » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 am

Looking for a broad use rod for bass and snakehead. Want something vesitale mid level. Budget $200-$350ish, I have searched and read a number of the longer all purpose special favorite if you could only have one rod threads. It helped me narrow down my choices and they general rough specs.

Reel will be a Zillion TWHD for now eventually it may get switched to, an 19/21Antares DC, maybe a Metanium MGL. Will probably use this setup, infrequently, for some inshore (kayak) fishing along the OBX and in the gulf. The idea is, it's a single rod I can grab and know it will handle many rigs and styles with the understanding "jack of all....master of none".

I am just getting back into dedicated bass/fw Been mostly SW for the last 15+yrs. Just used my inshore setups when I fished fw which were spinners. Focusing on baitcasters now as I've had my fill of spinners. Even SW I'm trimming down to only 3-4 main spinning setups and my small Stradic FL 1k-3k can pull trout/bass duty. Had countless budget level setups over the years....too many.

My List:

* MB Orochi XX ETMF 7'5" M(F5) MF ⅜-1oz
* MB Orochi XX Tour Versatile 7' MH(F6) F ⅜-1oz
* MB Levante Perfect Pitch 7'2" H(F7) XF ⅜-1⅕oz
* ALX Zolo Toadfish 7'2" MH+ F ⅜-1⅛oz
* ALX Enox BMJ 7'2" MH+ F ¼-1⅛oz
* Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS 7'1" M-MH XF ⅛-1oz & 7'4" H F ½-1½oz

MegaBass are just so damn nice looking It's hard not to be bias on that alone.. I have heard the new gen Levante PP has a softer tip. It's more a fast tip now. Wish it was the XX as I prefer it's styling but it's also $100 diff. Also going to come down to availability with the XX Orochi. I never fished a MB

I really like the ALX Eno. It's the most $$ but has very nice Cork handles. Seems as good as my old Sage Fly rod that's worth close to 3x. The blank seems very good. I like it's made different. I would be fine with the Toadface blank but would prefer the Enox reel seat and premium cork handle. They both use the same moderate micro guides. I could get it custom for likely same cost as the Enox. From what I understand the BMJ is a more sensitive premium Toadface.

The Daiwa is nice and should balance well with the Zillion. I liked the feel of the 7'4" H. Even though its spec'd ½-1½oz it feels like it would go 3/8 without issue and from reviews I know it can handle 2oz. That is a nice broad range. Not sure the AGS is worth the $ but it did change the feel and balance but it might have been partially psychological bias.

So what are some opinions and or recommendations?? Other Rods I should look into?

RH

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod choice for one rod fishing

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:08 am

The XX Tour Versatile will fit you well. I had one for a while and enjoyed it. It had a little too much power for me. I live in Northern Michigan and bass I run into are smaller than you will.

If fishes spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, frogs...all that. Should work for snakehead too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:03 am

Out of the rods you listed I'd reach for the enox bmj.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:03 am
Out of the rods you listed I'd reach for the enox bmj.
If I had the $$$ I'd reach for this one too. :lol: Doesn't mean I know jack about which rod would best suit the OP.

As an aside I have a Tatula 7'4" HF that I use for a frog rod. I weighed a 5/8 oz. Live Target Koppers. It only weighed .462 oz., but the rod was doing a good job getting it out there. Even better if I didn't get all the water out of it. :laugh1:

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 pm

I could ramble on about the Enox BMJ forever. Simply, it's a great multipurpose rod that fishes above its price point.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 pm

The most versatile rod I own, by far, is the 7’3”MH Poison Adrena.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:12 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 pm
The most versatile rod I own, by far, is the 7’3”MH Poison Adrena.
That was actually on my list but it seemed so light in weight and I felt putting a Zillion tw hd 1520 on it would take away from some of that goodness lol

I really like that it's a 2 piece yet seems to have no negative effect other than the exposed fugue. It would easily be the most$$ I love the reel seat /handle. It's a great looking rod to boot.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Was hoping it would be an easier choice seems its 3. BMJ, Tour Versatile, and the Poison Adrena. All within $50 of each other. All have the wide use ability. The MB has been a long time desire. The perf and quality of the BMJ & Poison are excellent. The Poison wins for travel/mobility. The BMJ has great cork, blank and the only one made in USA and a small shop. Hmm well I guess it's a good issue to have. Have to see if I can even find the MB. They seem to be out at every USA vendor I have checked. That makes it much easier. 8 think eventually I will get the Poison as my travel rod especially if I get the Metanium. Think I am going for the Enox BMJ.

Thanks guys for lending your opinions and helping me with this decision.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:55 am

I also like jack of all trade rods. Take a look at the XX Diablo Spec R. Has many, many uses. Handle is on the thin side, though. If they still make it, I would also recommend the Javelin. Love that rod! Loomis 843 or 844 also comes to mind. MBR actions are famous for being very versatile. For a bit cheaper option, Powell 734 is also a good choice. Best of luck on your search!

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 pm

While I don’t own BMJ, I recently got Enox psychic and I absolutely love that blank. Super crisp, super sensitive, very fun to fish. I imagine BMJ is pretty awesome as well.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm

My favorite all purpose rods tend to be between 7'0" - 7'2", MH, and the action falls between mod-fast and the slower side of fast. I think the best action would depend on whether you fish more single hook applications or treble hook techniques.

I haven't fished the rods you have listed, but I have owned/own a number of Gen 1 Orochi XXs, and many were quite versatile. I liked the ALX's I've owned and I've heard the BMJ is on the slower side of fast so that would probably be a good choice too. I have a Steez XT 701 mrb and that is a great all purpose medium powered rod, although it is a true mod-fast so I think it is stronger on treble hook applications than jigs. Also I believe a MH is a much better "All Purpose" rod.

I really like X-Fast action rods for specific techniques, but I can't imagine using one as an all purpose rod. Assuming it is a true X-Fast. But everyone has their preferences.

Good Luck

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm

As mentioned above, I think the XX Diablo Spec R is worthy of consideration. Its an extremely versatile rod than can handle just about everything in its weight range quite well. Its one of those rods that may not be perfect for one application but does a good job at many. I've used the DSR for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs, t rigs, swimbaits, topwaters, cranks, frogs, bubba shot, carolina rigs, weightless worms, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.