NEW Phenix Ultra MBX w/T40J

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

NEW Phenix Ultra MBX w/T40J

Post by Chode » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 pm

How's this new line in terms of balance, sensitivity, action, weight, etc? If you can compare it to other rods in its weight class, it'd be even better. Thx

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NEW Phenix Ultra MBX w/T40J

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:14 am

For that price I would look at other brands personally. Since they did the redesign the rods have gotten heavier vs the old ultra mbx. I can’t speak about the new one much since I’ve only handled them in the store but the old 707H was a very solid and amazing rod.

They run about $320ish but if you pick up a destroyer P5 from Japan they are about $370ish and 10x the rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:14 am
For that price I would look at other brands personally. Since they did the redesign the rods have gotten heavier vs the old ultra mbx. I can’t speak about the new one much since I’ve only handled them in the store but the old 707H was a very solid and amazing rod.

They run about $320ish but if you pick up a destroyer P5 from Japan they are about $370ish and 10x the rod.
LOL

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 pm
How's this new line in terms of balance, sensitivity, action, weight, etc? If you can compare it to other rods in its weight class, it'd be even better. Thx
If the blanks are even a slight improvement over the previous version, they should be really good. I'm going to pick one up soon. Have you seen them for sale anywhere other than direct from Phenix?

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 am

I personally love Phenix rods , iv owned or tried every brand out there and for the money Phenix all around is my favorite, I have a the 7ft drop shot ultra mbx and I’d easily put it up to a glx in terms of sensitivity and Phenix balances very will also compared to others , FYI the feather series are the lightest rod iv ever owned and for the money the awesome !
Shimano and Gloomis just kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc 225

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:29 pm

shimanogloomis man wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 am
I personally love Phenix rods , iv owned or tried every brand out there and for the money Phenix all around is my favorite, I have a the 7ft drop shot ultra mbx and I’d easily put it up to a glx in terms of sensitivity and Phenix balances very will also compared to others , FYI the feather series are the lightest rod iv ever owned and for the money the awesome !
Me too. Phenix and JDM Shimano are my favorite production rods. Custom for everything else.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:18 pm

So far I love all of my Phenix rods as well and they've never let me down yet. Definitely following this thread as I've only fished their M1, Feather, and Recon rods. I'm looking for a jig rod that can handle 1/2 - 3/4 ounce jigs + trailer, and hear that MBX sensitivity is close if not better than GLX. Currently fishing 893 GLX, but feels like 3/8 ounce jigs are the max that rod can handle throwing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:41 pm

I'm going to pick up the seven food medium light casting rod if they ever become available. I want to speak with someone first to determine if the blanks taper, power, and action has changed much from the previous generation. I'll keep you guys posted when I get it.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:50 am

shimanogloomis man wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 am
I've built Feather 71 MH with torzites, cfx grips and AT Blade reelseat. It weights 83g. (2,93oz).

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am

I finally got one of the newer designed one. I choose the 7' Light power one. I have the previous one 6'6" Light power Ultra MBX classic one to compare with.

The locking nut on this is nothing special, rather basic standard one. The thing I don't seem to like much about it is too much exposed threads in front. The trigger reel seat feels like basic plastic resin. Nothing special about it, just seems like fast production.

So I got around to just mock putting a reel on and threading the line guides to check for rod bend. It doesn't take much but there is a lot of line rub onto the blank as soon as the rod flexes. Although the rod blank is listed as a fast taper action, it is a touch less. When compared to the older model I have the line guides on the older model are smaller and better spacing and choice of actual line guides. The older one has 10 line guides plus tip. This new model actually only has 9 line guides plus tip. So either I got a improperly guide set made model or the product description is wrong. The older one has a stronger backbone and flexes true as a fast taper. There is no line rub on the rod bend. So looking closer at the line guides, the older model has a raise stem to keep the line off the rod on the bend. The newer one is almost basically flushed down to the blank. So that is why I'm seeing such immediate line rub on the flex as well as less line guides.

It just appears as a minimalist approach and while the rod is much lighter in feel and actual weight as well, the line rub and actual components put onto the rod is rather dismal for the performance feel of the rod blank.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:32 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am
I finally got one of the newer designed one. I choose the 7' Light power one. I have the previous one 6'6" Light power Ultra MBX classic one to compare with.

The locking nut on this is nothing special, rather basic standard one. The thing I don't seem to like much about it is too much exposed threads in front. The trigger reel seat feels like basic plastic resin. Nothing special about it, just seems like fast production.

So I got around to just mock putting a reel on and threading the line guides to check for rod bend. It doesn't take much but there is a lot of line rub onto the blank as soon as the rod flexes. Although the rod blank is listed as a fast taper action, it is a touch less. When compared to the older model I have the line guides on the older model are smaller and better spacing and choice of actual line guides. The older one has 10 line guides plus tip. This new model actually only has 9 line guides plus tip. So either I got a improperly guide set made model or the product description is wrong. The older one has a stronger backbone and flexes true as a fast taper. There is no line rub on the rod bend. So looking closer at the line guides, the older model has a raise stem to keep the line off the rod on the bend. The newer one is almost basically flushed down to the blank. So that is why I'm seeing such immediate line rub on the flex as well as less line guides.

It just appears as a minimalist approach and while the rod is much lighter in feel and actual weight as well, the line rub and actual components put onto the rod is rather dismal for the performance feel of the rod blank.
Oh man, that too bad. Blows me away that they would place the guides to where line touches the blank. That's just nonsense, especially for a rod and blank manufacturer as popular as Phenix. Typically when getting the same power rod in a longer length, the blank tends to be a little slower. Are you going to contact Phenix or just return it?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:58 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:32 pm
slipperybob wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am

Oh man, that too bad. Blows me away that they would place the guides to where line touches the blank. That's just nonsense, especially for a rod and blank manufacturer as popular as Phenix. Typically when getting the same power rod in a longer length, the blank tends to be a little slower. Are you going to contact Phenix or just return it?
I've been wanting this rod for quite some time. Perhaps it's just the way they make it now. I just never expect the line guides to be of the "wrong" type. All other baitcasting rod type I have own has a little raised clearance stem for the insert rings. Just never expected to get such a rod with it flushed down onto the blank. It's more like spinning rod line guides in concept. I did order this rod without ever seeing it in physically first. It is quite a let down.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish