Megabass P5 Dark Sleeper

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass P5 Dark Sleeper

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm

This rod really has my attention for moving single hook baits. How well would this rod be tossing 3/8oz underspins, 3/8oz jackhammers and 1/2oz spinnerbaits? I’m stuck between this rod, the madbull and the valkyire VKC-71MH. What’s your guys thoughts and recommendations? Thanks

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass P5 Dark Sleeper

Post by bbates3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:49 am

Oh man

Those are 3 great rods.

I’ll do my best to help you. I happen to have 2 of the 71 Valkyrie and 2 madbull and have fished a dark sleeper.

the madbull is 3.9oz
71 Valkyrie is 6.1oz
Steez 73mh is 3.8oz

ImageUntitled by benjie bates, on Flickr

Where are you located? And where abouts do you fish ?

So I’ll start with the Valkyrie. I like this line of rods and here is why. First if you read up these rods are designed for big fish and guides on lake biawa. So it’s going to be the heaviest rod of the bunch weight wise but it’s also the most durable. It’s going to feel like you won’t break it. I tend to be tough on gear so to me these are workhorse rods.

It will have bigger guides too.

The 71mh is my go to chatterbait rod. I fish a few lakes here in Florida with standing grass and it works great for me. I’ve also thrown a trap on it, it’s labeled as more of a crankbait rod and flexes deeper into the blank

I love the rod but probably wouldn’t pick it for what you want. also ive fished it for hours and hours and didn't really notice the weight, most of it in the adjustable handle portion which is cool at first but then once you get it set you dont really mess with it much.

The Madbull is a great rod. Totally different feeling than the Valkyrie. It’s over 2oz lighter.

It is going to be more powerful than the dark sleeper and maybe the most powerful rod in the bunch of all of these rods.

I personally mainly throw 1/2 spinnerbait, buzzbaits, topwater and traps on mine. It’s probably my default top water rod. It’s so easy to walk a bait with that rod.

It’s a versatile rod as well.

I’ve fished a 3-8oz stealth jackhammer on it it worked but I felt like my hook up to catch % was lower than my Valkyrie. I like a glass rod for a chatterbait and personally I feel that it’s different than a spinnerbaits and needs a different rod.

What I remember about fishing a dark sleeper

First it’s going to be then lightest in weight and power.
That rod was super sensitive it had a cool almost double taper action to it. I just remember really feeling the bites on it.

I feel like the madbull is a full power more powerful not the .5 as listed.

It was a great moving bait rod.

Hopefully someone who has one can chime in on how it fishes 1/2oz spinnerbaits. That’s probably the top end of that rod.

But I want to say for the lighter single hook moving baits it would probably be the one out of those 3 you listed.

Another rod I would definitely consider is the new 73mh Steez

I’ve fished 3/8oz head and 4inch paddle tail and spinnerbaits on it

Great rod super versatile and sensitive. Similar in power to the madbull but with a slightly softer tip

to me this might be the rod you want, definitely give it consideration and maybe talk to gary about how it compares to a dark sleeper
Last edited by bbates3 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:42 am

Bbates3 thank you for the in-depth write up on the 3 rods and gave me another one to look into. That madbull sounds like one amazing rod. How is the regular taper? Is it soft like a crankbait rod or is it just very parabolic? I’m actually going to be fishing then in the San Diego and Mission bay for spotted bay bass in about 8-10ft of water right about the eel grass beds. I’ve been ruined with the high end gear and don’t want to go with the lower grade options.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:56 am

I wouldn't consider the madbull soft, its powerful with a megabass regular taper.

I get it, I probably fish inshore more than freshwater and love high end gear, so since you are fishing in the salt I would personally rule out the dark sleeper. I got rid of mine and my x-bites

There is my 73 MH , I am probably using it in places Gary never thought of when he was designing these but they are working great so far. I am really happy with them.

If you wanted a valkyrie then get the 611mh, but to me its just kinda blah fishing, its heavier than the 71mh, super strong but does feel as high end or sensitive as the steez 73

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:58 am

bbates3 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:56 am
I wouldn't consider the madbull soft, its powerful with a megabass regular taper.

I get it, I probably fish inshore more than freshwater and love high end gear, so since you are fishing in the salt I would personally rule out the dark sleeper. I got rid of mine and my x-bites

There is my 73 MH , I am probably using it in places Gary never thought of when he was designing these but they are working great so far. I am really happy with them.

If you wanted a valkyrie then get the 611mh, but to me its just kinda blah fishing, its heavier than the 71mh, super strong but does feel as high end or sensitive as the steez 73
Now you even got me thinking about not going with the X-bites for the bottom contact stuff. My back up rod I was looking at is the new 75MHH bottom contact 2 or the 79H universal power

How do you like the new Steez compile-X AGS?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:21 am

Yeah I’d skip the x-bites

It’s nice but not powerful enough for me for bottom contact stuff down here and I wouldn’t want to fish it in salt.

If you wanted to go p5 line of rods

Get the madbull and tequila Baccarac

If going Steez

73mh and ??? I dunno though one there

75 or 79 both are amazing would have to know more about what you are doing and want to throw. Then there is also the 72h to consider in Steez.

Lots of options

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:56 am

Even though the rod is very short, the tachyon shaft is an excellent high powered bottom contact rod.

It’s my favorite p5 thus far. I thought I was only going to use it for closer quarters skipping etc. But I can empty the spool on a new zillion and a 3/8 Jack hammer it casts so far.

I still have the xbites but use it for light weight stuff.

I’ll be ordering a tequila baccarac once I can find one.

Haven’t tried a new Steez yet but thinking of going with some of them over the new nrx.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm
This rod really has my attention for moving single hook baits. How well would this rod be tossing 3/8oz underspins, 3/8oz jackhammers and 1/2oz spinnerbaits? I’m stuck between this rod, the madbull and the valkyire VKC-71MH. What’s your guys thoughts and recommendations? Thanks
I've used the Dark Sleeper mainly with its namesake lure and for bottom contact lures. It has a fast taper (not the med-fast that MB is known for) similar to the Gloomis MBR fast tapers. I have thrown single hook lures in the 3/8 oz range and it does those very well. I don't think it would have any issues w/1/2 oz moving baits.

Rod balances perfectly w/a Metanium 20.

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:53 pm

I've haven't used my P5 Dark Sleeper for anything else but chucking 5/0 Flashy Swimmers. I'm probably going to have to get another one to use other baits on it.