To Spiral Or Not to Spiral... what is your preference?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

To Spiral or Not to Spiral... what say ye?

What's a spiral wrap?
7%
Tried it, don't like it, I prefer to be on top
14%
Won't try it, can't look at it, way too funky
12%
Haven't tried one yet, but I'm interested
27%
YES!
40%

Total votes: 90

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: To Spiral Or Not to Spiral... what is your preference?

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:16 pm

uljersey wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:04 pm
I think they work for everything, but that’s just me.
Ok, so theoretically I may (or not) see increased casting distance on a trap rod when bombing open water on a search and destroy mission and on a shorter squarebill rod I may see better accuracy when pinpointing precise targets ?
Potentially, sure! I think it lets your blank work to its full potential. Might even get away with less guides, which never hurts!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:06 am

One last question - is the fact that I use left hand retrieve reels have any bearing ; in other words does the layout of the guides matter in that respect ?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:16 am

I prefer to spiral toward my reel handle, but that only makes a difference on my salmon/steelhead float rods that see slow pay-out and semi slack line (bobber floating down the river). I can’t see it making a difference for much anything else.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:42 pm

uljersey wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:06 am
One last question - is the fact that I use left hand retrieve reels have any bearing ; in other words does the layout of the guides matter in that respect ?
I would suggest spiral to the left.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:06 pm

The decision of spiraling to one side or the other on a fishing rod is done to match which side the handle of your reel will be. This is done simply so when you lay your rods down on the deck, presuming fishing reel handle side up, your first few guides will follow suit and not be buried in the deck. There is no other practical reason.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:20 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:06 pm
The decision of spiraling to one side or the other on a fishing rod is done to match which side the handle of your reel will be. This is done simply so when you lay your rods down on the deck, presuming fishing reel handle side up, your first few guides will follow suit and not be buried in the deck. There is no other practical reason.
That's only if you allow the reel to lay that way. Mine sit on the trigger and reel handle only. ;)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:39 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:20 pm

That's only if you allow the reel to lay that way. Mine sit on the trigger and reel handle only. ;)
That's why i said presuming... regardless of how you lay your rods down, the reasoning behind spiraling one direction versus the other remains the same. Otherwise, there's no difference.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:30 pm

I also prefer to spiral in the direction of my retrieve, which is in my case to the left. Aside from what Cal mentioned, at times you probably hold the rod with your right wrist slightly bent to the left, and likely never to the right. Unless you enjoy wrist pain of course.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:15 am

I’m sold, I’ll be owning one soon.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:11 pm

I own 4 spiral wrapped megabass rods. They just came that way and it adds to the exotic nature of these particular sticks. Can't say I noticed anything about them while under load. They less prone to tip wrap when using lighter and softer braids. That's nice. 3 of the 4 are telescopic which I appreciate the most.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:44 am

This is a spiral-wrapped 48" power noodle ice rod that I asked a local custom rod builder to make last month. I was originally going to pair it with my Daiwa Alphas Airstream Custom and the rod was balanced with that reel. I then decided to not subject that little gem to the often hostile ice fishing conditions, so I found a cheap Piscifun Phantom which is 0.1 oz lighter than the Daiwa and remarkably it has that same green as my rod's wrapping. Plenty good enough for the hardwater.

The spiral-wrap is a perfect application for a small spoon rod.

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 am

Given the choice, I would select spiral wrapped always, and now with the advent and use of rod sleeves, the guides tangling in rod boxes is nowhere near as common either.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Kieranw92
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kieranw92 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 am

I have spiral wrap rods for all vertical jigging. I do have some jigging rods which I also use for trolling (not trawling as some people call it) which have straight guides. I have one custom built palmarius rod which has the guides go to the right. I still haven’t seen another rod with them going to the right. I do fish with a left handle reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:35 am

Strange spriral wrapping in a Crystar 55 BF-master; first one guide is in aligned different than usual. It point's to reel, not to te tip of rod:

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:56 am

That specific guide seems pretty high to me, too.

I don’t believe I could live with the aesthetics of that, unless there is some sort of unrealized, unworldly casting performance difference.