Destroyer

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Destroyer

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Have you guys noticed much of a difference between the U.S. destroyers and the P5's?

What would be the most sensitive rod out of all the destroyers available in the U.S.?

Also looking for the 3/8 to 1/2 oz chatterbait rod in the megabass lineup, but it would need to be versatile
for pond hopping, I 've been looking at the Javelin.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Destroyer

Post by Phippy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:03 am

Think you'll find the X-bites ranks high on the list in terms of sensitivity in the P5 lineup. Compared to my previous U.S Destroyer Daemos and FMJ most definitely a step up in that department. Fantastic rod IMO. For chatterbaits could probably stick to the Orochi XXX line no need the extra coin for that application.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:01 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 pm
Have you guys noticed much of a difference between the U.S. destroyers and the P5's?
Yeah, a $100 price change :lol:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 pm
What would be the most sensitive rod out of all the destroyers available in the U.S.?

Also looking for the 3/8 to 1/2 oz chatterbait rod in the megabass lineup, but it would need to be versatile
for pond hopping, I 've been looking at the Javelin.
The X-Bites has a high reputation for sensitivity in that lineup, but I've read different opinions on whether it reaches NRX levels (might be a hair below that). But so what, all Destroyers that I own are a ton of fun to fish.

The US Destroyers aren't available for sale right now, so unless you buy it second-hand, you won't be able to buy the USDM models. With Megabass' warranty only applying to the original buyer, I'd shy away from buying a used one.

The X-Bites has an XFast taper, which isn't ideal for chatterbaits in my mind. For pond hopping and those 3/8-1/2oz chatterbaits I'd use the Super Destroyer personally: great sensitivity, versatile, and with a moderate but stout taper that is perfect for cranking a single-hook baits. (It's an amazing wobblehead rod, as well, and a very good jig rod).

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Wouldn't the mad bull be a better chatterbait rod over the Super Destoryer?

The Diable Spec-R looks like it might be a good choice also.

Right now I'm using a St-Croix Swim Jig Finesse rod, it works good but I do want something else.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:45 am

You may want to look at the dark sleeper also

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:56 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 pm
Wouldn't the mad bull be a better chatterbait rod over the Super Destoryer?

The Diable Spec-R looks like it might be a good choice also.

Right now I'm using a St-Croix Swim Jig Finesse rod, it works good but I do want something else.
The Mad Bull might be a better dedicated chatterbait rod, but if I was looking for a pond hopping rod, as well, I wouldn’t want a rod designed for cranking and treble hook baits. The SD does chatterbaits well due to its slower taper, and is a great bottom contact and t-rig rod. That was my thinking.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 pm

i have a javelin and tried using it for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits....did not like it at all...felt too limp for the thumping blades of these baits.....IMO..expride 72 mh glass is the ultimate chatterbait rod....my javelin is back to use as a crankbait rod only...