Steez Universal Light

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez Universal Light

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 pm

i would light this rod.
Im looking to know what your reel line size and lure you are using please.

I’l really trying to see where this rod falls compared to the Shimano expride medium which has a higher rating and is 1 “ longer
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez Universal Light

Post by Drakestar » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm

I run a Steez SV TW on it (and occasionally an SV Light). The Steez in particular is a match made in heaven if you get the 6.3:1 (red accents). 12lbs fluoro. Used it for jerkbaits a bunch (Vision 110 and 110Jr), as well as larger weedless tubes (3.5” Tour Tube from Big Bite Baits) and flukes. I’ve cranked smaller baits on it, too. It’s a great “one rod, one reel” pond hopping rod, and I’ve also used it all day on Clear Lake for reaction bites. Great sensitivity, but a bit hard to say definitively since I’m using straight fluoro.

I like the Expride 6’10” M better for jerkbaits, but the Universal Light is no slouch. I like the UL better for everything else. Definitely more sensitive than the Expride, of course. Compared to the Poison Adrena 6’10” M it’s harder to tell, I need to run more comparisons. My gut tells me UL over PA, but not by a ton.

Both rods are very close in length FWIW. The UL is ~1/2 inch shorter. Not sure about power, I think the Steez might actually have a bit more despite the ratings. But don’t quote me on that.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:32 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm
I run a Steez SV TW on it (and occasionally an SV Light). The Steez in particular is a match made in heaven if you get the 6.3:1 (red accents). 12lbs fluoro. Used it for jerkbaits a bunch (Vision 110 and 110Jr), as well as larger weedless tubes (3.5” Tour Tube from Big Bite Baits) and flukes. I’ve cranked smaller baits on it, too. It’s a great “one rod, one reel” pond hopping rod, and I’ve also used it all day on Clear Lake for reaction bites. Great sensitivity, but a bit hard to say definitively since I’m using straight fluoro.

I like the Expride 6’10” M better for jerkbaits, but the Universal Light is no slouch. I like the UL better for everything else. Definitely more sensitive than the Expride, of course. Compared to the Poison Adrena 6’10” M it’s harder to tell, I need to run more comparisons. My gut tells me UL over PA, but not by a ton.

Both rods are very close in length FWIW. The UL is ~1/2 inch shorter. Not sure about power, I think the Steez might actually have a bit more despite the ratings. But don’t quote me on that.

Thanks very much and you’ve said what I was thinking as most JDM ish rods run lighter than listed. I’ll pass on spending twice the money on a Steez when the expride is better. That’s why I started looking at the poison glorified rods and the poison ultima. I have not tried one of them yet and if my kids would stop running my pockets I’d have more funds to do that
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Drakestar wrote:

How does the Steez compare with the Adrena in terms of power, weight, and taper?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Drakestar wrote:

How does the Steez compare with the Adrena in terms of power, weight, and taper?
Steez is 3.35oz. Poison Adrena is 3.53oz. The Steez is faster; I think both tips are equally crisp, but where the Steez shuts down, the PA loads deeper into the blank (that’s what makes it and the Expride such an amazing jerkbait rod: quick whippy action to animate the bait, but then it slowly and smoothly tapers out into the blank instead of shutting down abruptly). Not sure on power yet TBH. I said earlier that intuitively, the Steez might be a tiny bit heavier (despite the ratings), but I don’t have enough experience yet to really back that up. I might be wrong.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Drakestar wrote:

Steez is 3.35oz. Poison Adrena is 3.53oz. The Steez is faster; I think both tips are equally crisp, but where the Steez shuts down, the PA loads deeper into the blank (that’s what makes it and the Expride such an amazing jerkbait rod: quick whippy action to animate the bait, but then it slowly and smoothly tapers out into the blank instead of shutting down abruptly). Not sure on power yet TBH. I said earlier that intuitively, the Steez might be a tiny bit heavier (despite the ratings), but I don’t have enough experience yet to really back that up. I might be wrong.
Cool. Let me know what you think about the power differences after you've spent some more time with them.