Whats your preference for 4-8lb test Casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Whats your preference for 4-8lb test Casting

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:52 pm

looking at two relatively expensive rods one is 6'10" and the other 7'3" both are CASTING and
I dont have a clue which id like to get..Tech is drop shots, ned rig and things like that.. I'd say the shorter rod is a major craft rod and I should have moved on it but I NOW would like to and they are out for now.. so I'll just see.

Thanks in advance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Whats your preference for 4-8lb test Casting

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:01 am

I've been wanting a casting rod for 5-6lb test, 2/0 to 1/0 hooks, about 3/16oz tungsten weight, plus small plastics. The Phenix K2 7'1" Med Lt has been at the top of my list. Reel will be a Zonda with honeycomb spool.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:45 am

Jorrick,

I’ve mainly used 3 casting combos for DS, 1st is a Steez RD 6101ML+FB which is actually rated 8-14lbs, 1/8-5/8 but being JDM fishes much lighter. 2nd is a Megabass Hein Carbonhead rated 6-14lbs, 1/4-5/8 also JDM rated and lastly a longer rod, an Edge Black Widow BWC DSR 710-1.

Just this past weekend, I added a new stick, a Poison Ultima BFS that I used and did fairly well in deeper water.

I do have a couple spinning combos that I also use for DS and they’re a little longer with the exception of the Edge BW but fishing vertical from my boat I don’t really feel the need for the longer rod for DS’ing.

Sending you pics via text….

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:06 am

Of all the finesse rods I've used, the edge FS6101 drop shot blank is ideal for drop shots and neds for bass. It has more backbone than expected but has a nice soft tip that is very fast. I have it in a spinning build but a casting build is available and would be perfect with that pixy. The blank is similar in taper and power to the 6'10" st croix MLXF blank for reference, soft quick tip with a good amount of backbone behind it. I originally bought it thinking it would be a super soft, good for crappie and trout rod with some 4lb line but it's definitely a bass finesse bottom contact taper.

I've had quite a few MC rods and usually they are a regular fast taper similar to the domestic MBR tapers. Not my ideal taper for my own personal drop shot setup but it may be for you. One exception is the ms-1 line in which the 7' medium "finesse" model would be a great drop shot casting setup. A very similar taper to the two rods above.

I also have the edge silver widow 721 in a casting build which is labeled as a finesse DS rod and in reality it is more in line with the crappie and trout rod that I thought the 6101 would be. Very soft, more of a regular fast taper but has become a favorite of mine and has probably caught more fish than any other rod I have.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 am

Phenix K2 7'1" med light is my favorite small jerkbait rod. It will work for ned, drop shot, and light texas rigs too. I have it paired with a Steez CT and 8lb Sniper. If I want a little more power, I like my MB Super Eiger with Steez CT and 8lb Sniper.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 am

njbasscat wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 am
Phenix K2 7'1" med light is my favorite small jerkbait rod. It will work for ned, drop shot, and light texas rigs too. I have it paired with a Steez CT and 8lb Sniper. If I want a little more power, I like my MB Super Eiger with Steez CT and 8lb Sniper.
How heavy is Ned?
How would you describe the power
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:38 am

1/10 oz with a 4" TRD. I would say the power is a med light as listed. I've use it with texas rigged 4" Senko's too. The Super Eiger just works better for Senko's as it has a little more power. I throw the Ned on spinning gear 95% of the time.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:29 am

Another vote for the Phenix K2 713C. It's my Ned rig and BFS rod and works very well for it. Does those small jerkbaits well, as well (and as mentioned). Very very sensitive, well-build, very balanced, and with a somewhat moderate taper that makes casting those small baits easier. Just don't expect any hooksetting power! The rod is officially a ML but skews light, and with the slower action it takes a tick longer to drive the hooks, anyway. But any light-wire hook won't be an issue. I use it for dropshots, Ned rigs, small tubes and small jerkbaits no issue. Tiny 2.8" Dark Sleepers have worked, as well.

I'm just running an Curado BFS on it right now, but the SV Light, Alpha or a Steez CT will work very well, too. (Mostly stopped using the SV Light because I wanted a drag clicker for such light line.)