Who else hates P5 rear grips??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Who else hates P5 rear grips??

Post by triple_illusion » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm

I think the Megabass P5 rods are gorgeous in all aspects except for the rear grip. Who's with me? Tequila Bacarac is the only one that has a decent size butt grip. The other models look pathetic. I don't mind cork, foam, or a mix, but I do think balance for handling as well as aesthetic purposes make all the difference.

I Photoshopped the rear grip from the Destroyer TS series to show a more balanced possibility:

FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Who else hates P5 rear grips??

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:32 pm

I didn't really mind it on the couple that I had. The tequila bacarac I thought had too big of a rear grip. But now that you did that photo shop I do like your idea better.
I really wish they made more models like the mad bull with the carbon grips.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:42 pm

Are you talking about the trigger? I don’t mind that on the two P5 models I own, Super Destroyer (6’9”) and I.C.B.M. (9’). I also fish USDM Destroyers regularly and don’t feel a huge difference. What exactly is your concern?

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:42 pm
Are you talking about the trigger? I don’t mind that on the two P5 models I own, Super Destroyer (6’9”) and I.C.B.M. (9’). I also fish USDM Destroyers regularly and don’t feel a huge difference. What exactly is your concern?
The rear grip on most models are tiny, leaving you with little to grab onto during a cast. It also looks pathetic.
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm

triple_illusion wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 pm
Drakestar wrote:
The rear grip on most models are tiny, leaving you with little to grab onto during a cast. It also looks pathetic.
Ok, I can see that. God reminder that this *is* a JDM series that they officially brought over but that was designed for Japanese hands (gaming console controllers are often smaller in Japan, as well). Supposedly there will be a refresh of the USDM Destroyers with (hopefully) longer triggers again.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:58 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm
triple_illusion wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Ok, I can see that. God reminder that this *is* a JDM series that they officially brought over but that was designed for Japanese hands (gaming console controllers are often smaller in Japan, as well). Supposedly there will be a refresh of the USDM Destroyers with (hopefully) longer triggers again.
Hopefully there is a refresh, and hopefully the handle configuration is more along these lines.
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:55 pm

I dont know but it looks like a US rod almost. US rods are often pretty sparce to reduce weight. Maybe is the pic but if you hadn't told me that was MB stick I would have thought it was a St Croix stick or something.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:28 pm

absolutely love the p5 reel seat. I palm my whole real though. Hope they keep it on more models.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:36 pm

My only gripe is the trigger. Way too short for my liking.
If it was a normal size, wouldn't love these rods.