Googan Squad makes the best rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:41 pm

I appreciapate both, writen fishing (tackle) discussion and quality fishing videos on Youtube. Youtube is 90% of entertainnent for me, but I have searched casting videos of rod, which I'm thinking to buy. I have YT channel, mostly because I like to learn video making and sometimes I like to watch my own fishing videos, but main reason for my channel is to promote BFS fishing in my country. I wish there would be more BFS tackle available in ny country. My channel is named as Kevythyrräkalastus, which in my translation for UL baitcast fishing. There's some tackle oriented videos, but I'm trying to keep fishing and nature as main thing in my videos. And trying not to forget humour. Videos which I have liked most is Hobies super clear spoken BFS videos and Fisherman Saito's super fine xasting with super expensive BFS equipment and also BFS fishing videos in a beautiful environment like jungle. Sad but I havent found BFS videos from Alps. There really nice nature.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:16 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm
Said a random teenager in the youtube comments.

Now that i have your full attention, have you used any of their Aliexpress grade rods?
:shock:
Very cruel
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm

interesting thread I understand the need to promote the latest gear and "hottest" bait but its crazy what people do for views on all social media. At least some of these pro's are not scantily dressed bass fishing, what these ladies are doing for views is well a "game changer" :lol:
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:28 pm

I make all of my buying decisions based on youtube!!! Don't you guys? :lol: What's rods do Kim and Kanye fish? I just buy rods that match my Yeezy shoes! Wait, doesn't Skeet do that? :laugh1:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:54 am
Social media influence will be the death of our society as a whole. More immediately, it is killing the fishing and tackle culture we here at TT are familiar with. It has become about promoting any and every rebranded Chinese piece of crap that comes along, rather than appreciating quality gear and enjoying the sport of fishing. Twitter, YT and tiktok will be the demise of our entire civilization, mark my words.
It really started with the printing press imho.

I

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:52 pm

toddmc wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:28 pm
I make all of my buying decisions based on youtube!!! Don't you guys? :lol: What's rods do Kim and Kanye fish? I just buy rods that match my Yeezy shoes! Wait, doesn't Skeet do that? :laugh1:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Schlag wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:52 pm
toddmc wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:28 pm
8-)

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:06 pm

No reason to hate. I enjoy a lot of the Googan Squad content. Some of it is intentionally silly, but a lot of it is better than the fishing shows I watched on TV growing up. It reminds me of growing up fishing with my friend and family and occasionally doing dumb things.

I don't have much interest in their rods, but I'm sure they are as good or better than the BassPro/Cabelas/Academy/Gander/etc rods they are direct competitors with. They are mostly targeting younger anglers who would obviously be excited to have the same rod their favorite YTer uses. It would be nice if they were American made, but the prices would probably double and then their primary fanbase wouldn't be able to afford them.

They have designed some really nice baits as well. I've heard durability isn't great, but they definitely catch fish.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:16 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:06 pm
No reason to hate. I enjoy a lot of the Googan Squad content. Some of it is intentionally silly, but a lot of it is better than the fishing shows I watched on TV growing up. It reminds me of growing up fishing with my friend and family and occasionally doing dumb things.

I don't have much interest in their rods, but I'm sure they are as good or better than the BassPro/Cabelas/Academy/Gander/etc rods they are direct competitors with. They are mostly targeting younger anglers who would obviously be excited to have the same rod their favorite YTer uses. It would be nice if they were American made, but the prices would probably double and then their primary fanbase wouldn't be able to afford them.

They have designed some really nice baits as well. I've heard durability isn't great, but they definitely catch fish.
I don't know about that. Looking at their site, the prices of their rods are insane for what you're getting. They charge $150 for a rod that is guaranteed to be inferior to the likes of a Kuying Teton, which was like $50 when i bought it. Their hardbaits design is also complete garbage. Minimal vibration from cranks. Topwater plop baits spin while retrieving. Suspending jerkbaits will never suspend and the action on a jerk is laughable. They did not create this brand so their fans could enjoy what they're using. This brand was created to take advantage of their young/casual fisherman viewer. They're milking their fans, and i bet you its so damn easy.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 am

My 10 year old nephew loves the Googan Squad. He bought a bunch of their baits and catches fish on them. If they get him engaged and excited about fishing, I don't see the harm. They are obviously not after my demographic. A lot here are tackle enthusiasts and we make up about 0.000001 percent of the fishing population. You don't see much high dollar or hard to acquire gear on TV or social media because it's a small niche group that buys this stuff. Most of what sells is in the $100 to $200 price range.

Lightningmusky
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lightningmusky » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 pm

If you are just getting into tackle Ali express might be a good way to pick up a couple rods cheap to get you started or if you are buying for a kid. Googans baits are very average and most of their rods are bad choices compared to many other brands.

There are a decent amount of Youribe channels out there and some bad ones.

Matt Stephan
Tactical bassin
Yourlakeforkguide
BassFishinghq
Josh Douglas
Old school BassFishing has ton of old videos
And a ton of Japanese channels

Reel test is horrible and useless. The guy just reads website info and does not adjust spool tension knobs when he tests Daiwas that’s the first thing I do. To be good he needs to do breakdowns and make sure reels are not dry or overgreased. copycat site was so darn good because he would tear them down and point on differences. Things like accuracy, line management too are important are just a few things that you got to look at when comparing reels.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:33 am

Lightningmusky wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 pm
If you are just getting into tackle Ali express might be a good way to pick up a couple rods cheap to get you started or if you are buying for a kid. Googans baits are very average and most of their rods are bad choices compared to many other brands.

There are a decent amount of Youribe channels out there and some bad ones.

Matt Stephan
Tactical bassin
Yourlakeforkguide
BassFishinghq
Josh Douglas
Old school BassFishing has ton of old videos
And a ton of Japanese channels

Reel test is horrible and useless. The guy just reads website info and does not adjust spool tension knobs when he tests Daiwas that’s the first thing I do. To be good he needs to do breakdowns and make sure reels are not dry or overgreased. copycat site was so darn good because he would tear them down and point on differences. Things like accuracy, line management too are important are just a few things that you got to look at when comparing reels.
Punch Fishing has my favorite You Tube reviews. High end stuff with an unbiased opinion and he actually fishes the equipment and gives an opinion. I hate those You Tube reviews where someone is showing you what they just bought. How can you have an opinion of something you haven't fished yet?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm
Said a random teenager in the youtube comments.

Now that i have your full attention, have you used any of their Aliexpress grade rods?
Yup, I use several of them and an more than happy with all of them with the exception of one that has the reel seat come loose. That was an easy fix though. It can be a bit of a crap shoot with quality control but as long as you aren't expecting $500 craftsmanship from a $40 rod, you'll probably be happy with most of the Ali Express rods.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:18 am

All my $100 - $200 Aliexpress rods has been quality I expect for that price rod. I have bought my recently rods from Ali because in my country is not available UL baitcasting rods nearly at all. I know Taiwanese business men get good money for their product, but UL batcasting rods just are good product for Aliexpress. BFS fishing is a niche of niche, but in a worldwide is enough people in it, and Ali sells worldwide.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:44 am

It’s all in your perspective. Personally I’m not interested in Googan products simply because nothing I’ve seen so far has “pushed my buttons” or intrigued me in any way when apparently they have on many other anglers judging by their success.

As for the “junk” aspect of the gear, that can be subjective as well. While there is a lot of crap out there, for the most part what many consider junk would have been middle/higher end as little as 10 years ago. Given the majority of the membership here casts a more critical eye towards things skews the perspective a bit. Like it or not it fills a niche. We are pretty much the outer limits among the outer limits :lol: