MegaBass worm rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: MegaBass worm rod

Post by Dan B » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:36 am

I've used these, and tbh I find the dark sleeper rod is just a waste of locker space compared to a lot of other standout models in the P5 lineup. The dark sleeper rod can be used as a worm rod, but excels at tight line sensitivity... where as the X-bites is the slack line rod. Don't get me wrong, the DS can do it... but there are better rods in the line-up plus the Super Destroyer can do anything the DS can do and more.

If I was choosing for your given applications it would be the X-bites. However the Super Destroyer would easily be the close second. It's a heavy, but the moderate fast action combines makes it a great jig/t-rig rod capable of casting a wide range of lures. The X-bites is a XF, but like most P5 models it has a "2 stage" taper in the blank. It bends deeper into the blank than most XF rods and almost ends up feeling like a true fast.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:22 am

Well dang, it's almost like theHookUp knew we would be talking about this.... lol
This should give you all the answers you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhklvdNoPGk

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:06 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:03 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 am
I do like to use a 1/8 ounce weight on a worm or a creature bait at times.
Jeff
I've used both a 1/8 ounce weight and a 1/8 oz. shakey head (of course, the plastic will get the weight up depending upon its bulk). I think that this is the "low end" of the rod as a really finesse 1/16 oz. or weightless would be overkill with the Xbites and better suited for a BFS/spinning setup.

The Xbites has handled the 1/8 oz. stuff just fine for me. I haven't fished anything towards the high end of it's stated weight range (yet). Imo, the rod is a true MH. For me, this means that a 3/4 oz. is probably ok in more open/light cover situations, but the sweet spot is 1/4 to 1/2 oz.

If you are routinely throwing 1/2 and up jigs/t-rig into heavy cover/slop , another rod model would likely be better.
I have my Steez Compile X and my Bottom Contact for heavier stuff and 3 other medhvy Steez rods for other plastics and a couple of elites
I'm just looking to try something different
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:07 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:22 am
Well dang, it's almost like theHookUp knew we would be talking about this.... lol

Lol I seen that this morning which pushed me over to get one
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:32 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:07 pm
Dan B wrote:

I have to be the one to disagree
I saw the video and I’m firmly of the opinion that this information is in need of some investigation
I propose an official tackle tour review :D
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:07 pm
Dan B wrote:

Vid also made me want one. I really liked sensitivity on my usdm super destroyer but thought it was a bit broomsticky. Xbites 1/2 power lighter?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:36 am
I've used these, and tbh I find the dark sleeper rod is just a waste of locker space compared to a lot of other standout models in the P5 lineup. The dark sleeper rod can be used as a worm rod, but excels at tight line sensitivity... where as the X-bites is the slack line rod. Don't get me wrong, the DS can do it... but there are better rods in the line-up plus the Super Destroyer can do anything the DS can do and more.

If I was choosing for your given applications it would be the X-bites. However the Super Destroyer would easily be the close second. It's a heavy, but the moderate fast action combines makes it a great jig/t-rig rod capable of casting a wide range of lures. The X-bites is a XF, but like most P5 models it has a "2 stage" taper in the blank. It bends deeper into the blank than most XF rods and almost ends up feeling like a true fast.
How would you say P5 super destroyer compares to the usdm super destroye?

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:47 am

USDM super destroyer?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:37 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:47 am
USDM super destroyer?
2016 SD, I also had USDM FMJ, that's what got me mixed up. Thought they were very similar power/action wise. A bit stiffer than I like.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am

The P5 SD has a slightly lower lure rating on bottom end 1/4 than both FMJ and 2016sd. Everyone talks about how light they are so maybe a bit less power, putting the rod in my zone

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm

If you can find one, the Phase III Bearing Down makes a honey of a worm rod.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:25 pm

Obz wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am
The P5 SD has a slightly lower lure rating on bottom end 1/4 than both FMJ and 2016sd. Everyone talks about how light they are so maybe a bit less power, putting the rod in my zone
I use the FMJ as my main 3/8-1/2oz jig rod. I fish the same jigs on the P5 SD, both rods don't feel that different to me in terms of power. They're both rated F6, as well. I always figured the X-Bites would be a bit lighter, but haven't fished one.

Main difference between FMJ and SD is the length and taper, of course; the SD is a *great* wobblehead rod in my eyes cause it's slower, but I don't like using it for jigs as much. Opposite with the FMJ cause it's faster.

Neither rods strikes me as a great worm rod, too heavy. But there are so many things you can do with worms, maybe it's right in your zone. I do feel that if you find the FMJ too heavy, you won't find that the SD has less power that's easily noticed.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:25 pm
Obz wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am
I use the FMJ as my main 3/8-1/2oz jig rod. I fish the same jigs on the P5 SD, both rods don't feel that different to me in terms of power. They're both rated F6, as well. I always figured the X-Bites would be a bit lighter, but haven't fished one.

Main difference between FMJ and SD is the length and taper, of course; the SD is a *great* wobblehead rod in my eyes cause it's slower, but I don't like using it for jigs as much. Opposite with the FMJ cause it's faster.

Neither rods strikes me as a great worm rod, too heavy. But there are so many things you can do with worms, maybe it's right in your zone. I do feel that if you find the FMJ too heavy, you won't find that the SD has less power that's easily noticed.
Thanks man! Much appreciated, I think the xbites is ext o the list!