What early 2000s crankbait rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What early 2000s crankbait rod?

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:41 am

For this thing. A TD-S that I'm pretty sure was a JDM only model based on the procaster but with aluminum frame and handle side plate. I've got a TD-Z Type R spool in it, TD-Z drag star and will be getting a period handle for it too. Its a very smooth cranking reel and I want a period rod for it to go pretend I'm bass fishing in 2003 or so. I was, but I was throwing walmart pinnacles. Still have some of those old bagleys, rattling fat raps, risto raps ect.

I hear that there is some Team Daiwa rod that was popular? What about glass sticks? Not looking to spend a ton. The reel itself was cheap. What should I be on the lookout for as a 2000s crankbait rod?
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What early 2000s crankbait rod?

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:55 pm

grab an old tds 7'mh crank rod. they aren't the lightest or most balanced rods, but they would handle a pretty wide range of baits.

they also have an extremely comfortable seat that makes reels feel smaller than on an ecsm type seat

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:18 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:55 pm
grab an old tds 7'mh crank rod. they aren't the lightest or most balanced rods, but they would handle a pretty wide range of baits.

they also have an extremely comfortable seat that makes reels feel smaller than on an ecsm type seat
Is that similar to the Team Daiwa Light and Tough cranking rod?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:36 pm

I'm liking the idea of an older Daiwa stick. There was some older Daiwa stick that I have heard mentioned over the years as a great cranking rod. Gets mentioned in the Tatula Elite threads so it must be similar to one of those sticks. I think its the light and tough 71 cranking stick.

Also after visiting the TT rod reviews from this period I see that St Croix and Loomis rods from 2002 look the same as modern ones. I guess one of those is an option even if it is from 2015 or something. Price wise I really don't want to go much over $100. I just want to period build for my old weird smooth cranking TD-S. I can't get am exact date on that reel but I'm thinking Daiwa it's from between 2001 and 2007.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:55 am

the rod i'm talking about is what is sometimes referred to as the green handle rods. that's probably the rod mentioned in the tat elite threads since the tak 7' crankin rod is supposed to be based on it

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:24 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:55 am
the rod i'm talking about is what is sometimes referred to as the green handle rods. that's probably the rod mentioned in the tat elite threads since the tak 7' crankin rod is supposed to be based on it

Yep, Green Handle Rod for sure. :mrgreen:

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:41 am
For this thing. A TD-S that I'm pretty sure was a JDM only model based on the procaster but with aluminum frame and handle side plate. I've got a TD-Z Type R spool in it, TD-Z drag star and will be getting a period handle for it too. Its a very smooth cranking reel and I want a period rod for it to go pretend I'm bass fishing in 2003 or so. I was, but I was throwing walmart pinnacles. Still have some of those old bagleys, rattling fat raps, risto raps ect.

I hear that there is some Team Daiwa rod that was popular? What about glass sticks? Not looking to spend a ton. The reel itself was cheap. What should I be on the lookout for as a 2000s crankbait rod?
I would like to see the palming side of the reel to tell what it is.
Daiwa had a Japanese version TDX air which was actually made like the usdm tdz.
I have one and had a TDZ. I like the TD-X Air better than the TDZ. The "green handle " TD-S technique specific rod is a great crankbait rod, I still use mine. The L&T rod Astro flake finish is another good one. After Daiwa discontinued the light and tough rod there is enough backlash to die would try to bring it back in a new light and tough series which didn't go over too well. And I'm thinking they also try to bring the TDS green rods back but I don't believe they were green I don't think they lasted maybe a year or so. I have all the dial rod and reel catalogs from back in the early '80s but they're in storage so I can't find out exactly when they brought back the light and tough in the TDS. Larry Nixon used even though there was two different generations of team Daiwa rods Larry Nixon used a VIP fiberglass rod instead of the light and tough or the TDS. Both original team died with rod series The crankbait rods and the flipping sticks were collapsible I had all of them at one time but like a dummy sold them to upgrade to better rods which in all actuality I never thought there was a better rod. Daiwa had a black and gold tournament team diver rod that was their most expensive rod other than their boron rod that they had they averaged around $169 or $170 when they came out I had one of those worming rods it had a solid stinger tip on it those are really good rods. The very first team that I were Rick clunn crankbait rod it had tothe Larry Nixon series it had tbill dance series it had the George Cochran series. The Clunn crankbait rod was actually a seeker ocean rod that had a fiberglass tip unlike what the new kistler feelnreel rods are now same concept just updated material. I have the kistler feelnreel rod and really like it.
Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:22 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12 am
LowRange wrote:

I have one and had a TDZ. I like the TD-X Air better than the TDZ. The "green handle " TD-S technique specific rod is a great crankbait rod, I still use mine. The L&T rod Astro flake finish is another good one. After Daiwa discontinued the light and tough rod there is enough backlash to die would try to bring it back in a new light and tough series which didn't go over too well. And I'm thinking they also try to bring the TDS green rods back but I don't believe they were green I don't think they lasted maybe a year or so. I have all the dial rod and reel catalogs from back in the early '80s but they're in storage so I can't find out exactly when they brought back the light and tough in the TDS. Larry Nixon used even though there was two different generations of team Daiwa rods Larry Nixon used a VIP fiberglass rod instead of the light and tough or the TDS. Both original team died with rod series The crankbait rods and the flipping sticks were collapsible I had all of them at one time but like a dummy sold them to upgrade to better rods which in all actuality I never thought there was a better rod. Daiwa had a black and gold tournament team diver rod that was their most expensive rod other than their boron rod that they had they averaged around $169 or $170 when they came out I had one of those worming rods it had a solid stinger tip on it those are really good rods. The very first team that I were Rick clunn crankbait rod it had tothe Larry Nixon series it had tbill dance series it had the George Cochran series. The Clunn crankbait rod was actually a seeker ocean rod that had a fiberglass tip unlike what the new kistler feelnreel rods are now same concept just updated material. I have the kistler feelnreel rod and really like it.
Jeff
I have a thread on that reel and what it could be. It's a TD-S 105 and I belive it was JDM only. The US TD-S was a bigger reel. This TD-S is based on the Procaster but gets new TD-Z like front plate and sloping side plates. Has a 105 Magforce V spool and newer 34mm spool drop in. Made in Japan. Strange reel.
https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=86981

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:57 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:22 am
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12 am
LowRange wrote:

Jeff
I have a thread on that reel and what it could be. It's a TD-S 105 and I belive it was JDM only. The US TD-S was a bigger reel. This TD-S is based on the Procaster but gets new TD-Z like front plate and sloping side plates. Has a 105 Magforce V spool and newer 34mm spool drop in. Made in Japan. Strange reel.
https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=86981
Yup I remember them now. It's amazing of all the interations that Daiwa has done over the years with all the reels they've made. Reels that we may have never seen if not for the internet.
TD-S crankbait rod would look good with it
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:51 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:55 am
Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for one.