Expride actions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Expride actions

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:44 pm

Looking at getting a new Expride B primarily for 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs. I am not sure if I want the 7'2"MH or H.
Probably gonna pair it with a Metanium.
What kind of actions are the Exprides compared to say a 3 power Loomis Mag Bass or Tatula MH?
It's so hard to pick a rod without an opportunity to fondle one in person!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Expride actions

Post by Drakestar » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:28 am

Are we talking action/taper or power? (Cause those are different questions.)

If we’re talking power, I got a hole exactly there (I have ML, M and XH Exprides :))

If we are talking action, as a general statement, Exprides I’ve owned had slower actions than other brands (certainly Loomis). Crisp tip, but smooth transition into the backbone. But it’s hard to generalize, probably depends on the model.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:31 am

Both action and power in comparison to other brands. I like a standard fast action or even mod-fast like my KLX 7’6”H that I use for 3/4+jigs, etc. I’m really looking for something a half step to step below my KLX in power with a fast action. I have an old IMX MB843 and a 7’3” MH fast Sp Ed. Tatula that are about where I want to be as far as action and power but want more sensitivity. Or I just want some new stuff :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:23 am

KlingerNOK wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:31 am
Both action and power in comparison to other brands. I like a standard fast action or even mod-fast like my KLX 7’6”H that I use for 3/4+jigs, etc. I’m really looking for something a half step to step below my KLX in power with a fast action. I have an old IMX MB843 and a 7’3” MH fast Sp Ed. Tatula that are about where I want to be as far as action and power but want more sensitivity. Or I just want some new stuff :lol:
I got a hole in my Expride (and Shimano in general) lineup right at the MH/H mark, my reference points are Expride ML, M and XH. I do have a GLX 843 MBR and I don’t think the M Shimano rods match it in power. The action is somewhat similar in that Expride tapers feel similarly universal to me as MBRs (at least for the ML and Ms I own), but the Expride tip feels crisper and then has a moderate transition into the backbone, while the MBR is more symmetrical.

Hopefully somebody who owns the correct Exprides can chime in. Given my experience, and if you’re looking for an Expride version of that 843, I’d start with their MH. Maybe this helps, too: https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... 4-oz-jigs/

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:27 am

Here's Cal's old review of the 171H btw. Has a deflection chart comparing it to a Loomis 844, , the rod looks a bit stiffer/more powerful than that 844 under load. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... 1hpg2.html

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:30 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:27 am
Here's Cal's old review of the 171H btw. Has a deflection chart comparing it to a Loomis 844, , the rod looks a bit stiffer/more powerful than that 844 under load. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... 1hpg2.html
that's two versions old. this version was a 2-piece model. the new version is the third in series. I doubt it resembles the one in the article in any significant way...