Jig rod selection

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jig rod selection

Post by scrapiron » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:12 am

Getting back into freshwater (from inshore / fly fishing) and I need a rod for 3/4oz jigs and trailers. Have a CNQ 844c with a Met MGL and 14# Sniper. That may not be enough rod.

I have the below rods* to mate with a Bantam MGL B 6.2:

1. CNQ 905c
2. P5 Tequila Baccarac
3. Steez SVF AGS H 7'6"
4. Steez SVF AGS XH 7'4"
5. P5 Madbull

I need to sell four of the five (says my accountant). The 905 is the one I want to keep, but it's perhaps too stout. Any of the other four balance better and are lighter. But Conquest and that warranty. :)

I don't flip, frog, or pitch... open water where I fish. So if the 844 will do, I'll throw that Bantam on the Madbull and call it day.

Will be using Sniper 16# line. All rods are unused, so rather not take them out to fish, but how tempting! The other thought is to list them all and keep the one that doesn't sell/sells last. Or see if someone wants to trade a CNQ 904c for my 905c.

Any thoughts appreciated-

*yes there's a story, there's always a story, haha. Let me figure out the above first though. Needless to say, the bait monkey is urging me to NOT sell anything.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jig rod selection

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm

Hi,

Lots of decent rods to choose from. Out of your list I would choose between the Conquest and the Steez XH for that kind of lure rating (probably 1oz +).

Wondering why you fish these have jigs if it is just open water? Are you fishing super deep and want to get down there asap?

I would exclude the Baccarat and the Mad I'll from this list. The first is too parabolic and has too long of a rod butt in my opinion. The other one is a crankbaits/moving bait rod.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Basically want to get deep quickly. :)

Thanks for the recommendations... whittling down the list! Definitely want to limit overlap on the 844c so those two (905c and Steez XH) fit the bill. They're 'big boy' rods for sure.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:04 pm

On the other hand. If you do more of vertical jigging in deep water, you might actually consider a rod that has a bit more give, to give them enough time to inhale it.

Hence the 7'9 H might also be an option to consider.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:16 pm

I am using a Daiwa Steez Bottom Contact and found this rod to be my new deep water jig and t-rig & c-rig rod. Wow it is fantastic

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon