Steez “the one”

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez “the one”

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:23 am

Talk to me about it. Main use will be 1/8oz shakyheads. Currently use an Orochi XX shakyhead but hate the way the lock not rubs on my hand due to the way I hold it

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez “the one”

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:05 am

The Orochi Shakyhead is in a lower price class, so the Steez will have better sensitivity (although I really like the amount of feedback the Orochi XX provides). The 761MML can definitely do shaky heads (and tons of other stuff!), and do them well. Personally, I find the rod too long for that technique, especially from the bank. Depends on where you're expecting to fish yours; I use the two I have for long-distance and deep-water fishing (tubes, heavier dropshots etc.)

FWIW, that Orochi Shakyhead is definitely designed to be held with only one finger beneath, and three above, the reel foot. Index finger and thumb should lay on the tapered top of the cork, close to the blank. I remember Aaron Martens (who was still with Megabass when this one came out) saying how he'd file down the top of the cork on his spinning rods to hold them comfortably - and how now he didn't have to because Megabass had included that tapered cork out of the factory on the new Orichis. If you're holding the rod differently (two fingers beneath the reel foot, I'd expect) I can see how it might be uncomfortable against the palm.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:57 am

The one is a nice all purpose stick but I would be looking at the short ML if that is the technique you are looking to do mostly.
Philippians 4:6

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:52 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:23 am
Talk to me about it. Main use will be 1/8oz shakyheads. Currently use an Orochi XX shakyhead but hate the way the lock not rubs on my hand due to the way I hold it
That can easily be fixed with the tennis grip of your choice. It makes holding any rod a lot more comfortable. Every other sport uses some sort of tape. I purposely build my rods to my liking, but the Gamma Supreme over grip makes them so much more comfortable when you are fishing all day.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:20 pm

I just ordered one from TT today… then ordered a Vanquish 3000MHG to go with it. I can’t wait to be slinging baits with this setup on St Clair the last week of July.

If you haven’t purchased one by then, I’ll provide feedback after my trip.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:00 am

That’s a great combo, congrats.

I had the gen1 of the 76mml and enjoyed it (with an Exist 3000) but the length just wasn’t my cup of tea. I went with a Steez SVF 7’ and for me, that was better.

Please post a follow-up after your trip and tight lines!