Megabass Madbull vs Steez

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass Madbull vs Steez

Post by clemsondds » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 am

Hey just curious if anyone has an opinion on these brands/rods. Looking for a 7-7'2 rod to throw swim jigs, lipless and buzzbaits (3/8-3/4). I have heard good things about the madbull. Don’t know that much about the steez line. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass Madbull vs Steez

Post by clemsondds » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:03 am

Anyone have any input? Would love to hear thoughts on madbull and how it would work for these techniques. And then also if anyone has thoughts on which steez would be best for these techniques.
Thanks

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:11 am

Don't own the rod, but I've seen folks post them a time or two. May post this on Bass Resource....saw one posted there recently.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:54 am

I hate when people throw out something else that isn’t one of the choices but…..Valkyrie 71MH. That is THE rod for those baits. I have most P5s and Steez but none of them filled that role like I wanted. I’d bet money you’d like it for those applications better than any p5 Or Steez

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:24 am

I have a P5 Madbull and it works great with 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz Chatterbaits as well as 1.5 and 2.5 squarebills. I'm throwing 16 lb Sniper. I tried 45lb braid and it didn't feel right. It has that nice dual action that only JDM rods seem to have meaning it fishes like a fast action and loads like a mod fast or regular action rod. So far I'm pleased with it.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

Re: "I have a P5 Madbull and it works great with 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz Chatterbaits as well as 1.5 and 2.5 squarebills. I'm throwing 16 lb Sniper. I tried 45lb braid and it didn't feel right. It has that nice dual action that only JDM rods seem to have meaning it fishes like a fast action and loads like a mod fast or regular action rod. So far I'm pleased with it."

Awesome thank you! Would 1/2oz buzzbait with a toad be too much for it?
Last edited by clemsondds on Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:54 am
I hate when people throw out something else that isn’t one of the choices but…..Valkyrie 71MH. That is THE rod for those baits. I have most P5s and Steez but none of them filled that role like I wanted. I’d bet money you’d like it for those applications better than any p5 Or Steez
No that's great! Thank you for the suggestion! I've heard great things about the valkyrie line! I'll try to check it out.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am

I have the madbull, 71 Valkyrie and Steez AGS

i like the madbull for lipless, topwater, buzzbaits, but mainly use it for top water. its super light and easy to use for extended periods. i have used it for chatterbaits but much prefer the 71 mh valkyrie. i didnt get the best hook up ratio with the madbull, but it can work, overall its a very versatile rod and can do alot, ive even used it for texas rigs and it worked great. its 1 rod that does alot

the 71 valkyrie is so far my favorite chatterbait rod, just works well for me

i dont really feel like any of the steez ags compare to valkyire, the 72 moving bait special i am told is similar but lighter in power then the 72 H is more powerful

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:50 am

clemsondds wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am
Re: "I have a P5 Madbull and it works great with 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz Chatterbaits as well as 1.5 and 2.5 squarebills. I'm throwing 16 lb Sniper. I tried 45lb braid and it didn't feel right. It has that nice dual action that only JDM rods seem to have meaning it fishes like a fast action and loads like a mod fast or regular action rod. So far I'm pleased with it."

Nope. I throw a 1/2 oz jackhammer with a zako and it has room to spare.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 am

njbasscat wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:50 am
clemsondds wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

Nope. I throw a 1/2 oz jackhammer with a zako and it has room to spare.
Great to hear! thanks

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:16 am

bbates3 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am

i like the madbull for lipless, topwater, buzzbaits, but mainly use it for top water. its super light and easy to use for extended periods. i have used it for chatterbaits but much prefer the 71 mh valkyrie. i didnt get the best hook up ratio with the madbull, but it can work, overall its a very versatile rod and can do alot, ive even used it for texas rigs and it worked great. its 1 rod that does alot

i dont really feel like any of the steez ags compare to valkyire, the 72 moving bait special i am told is similar but lighter in power then the 72 H is more powerful
Ok thanks. So if you had to choose between the madbull and valkyrie for buzzbait, chatterbait, and lipless, which would you choose? :)

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:59 am

clemsondds wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:16 am
bbates3 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am

Ok thanks. So if you had to choose between the madbull and valkyrie for buzzbait, chatterbait, and lipless, which would you choose? :)
Valkyrie for me all day. I own both.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:29 am

For what you want, my vote is on the Madbull. Grip/locknut & balance is just better than the Steez models, and will handle exactly what you want. TBH if you wanted a little bit longer rod than a 7' I would skip the Steez and get an Expride 7'2 MH Glass.
That's easily one of the best chatterbait rods on the market for 1/2 the price, you just have to wait to get one.

All of my Steez casting rods have been tip heavy and I have preferred the P5 counterpart instead... the locknut also drives me nuts and should be 1/2 as big. If they did that and scooted the reel seat up 1/2-3/4" on each rod they would be perfect..

P.S. If you ever go with a spinning rod tho, the Steez can't be beat. They are better than my P5s, NRX+s, ETC...
Last edited by Dan B on Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:36 am

Dan B wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:29 am
For what you want, my vote is on the Madbull. Drip/locknut/balance is just better than the Steez models, and will handle exactly what you want. TBH if you wanted a little bit longer rod than a 7' I would skip the Steez and get an Expride 7'2 MH Glass.
That's easily one of the best chatterbait rods on the market for 1/2 the price, you just have to wait to get one.

All of my Steez casting rods have been tip heavy and I have preferred the P5 counterpart instead... the locknut also drives me nuts and should be 1/2 as big. If they did that and scooted the reel seat up 1/2-3/4" on each rod they would be perfect..

P.S. If you ever go with a spinning rod, the Steez can't be beat. They are better than my P5s, NRX+s, ETC...
That's interesting. Thanks! I didn't realize their spinning rods were that good. Which model (s) do you prefer?

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:47 am

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:36 am
Dan B wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:29 am
For what you want, my vote is on the Madbull. Drip/locknut/balance is just better than the Steez models, and will handle exactly what you want. TBH if you wanted a little bit longer rod than a 7' I would skip the Steez and get an Expride 7'2 MH Glass.

P.S. If you ever go with a spinning rod, the Steez can't be beat. They are better than my P5s, NRX+s, ETC...
That's interesting. Thanks! I didn't realize their spinning rods were that good. Which model (s) do you prefer?
I have the 7'1 ML and the 7'6 (The ONE)... I haven't bought the 7'1 M yet only because I have a P5 Windbuster and it would basically do the same job for me. I have not had "The ONE" long as I just bought it from Bronzefly for a Lake St Clair trip that I leave for on Sunday. However, I have had it out on the boat 3 times messing around with reels and line on it and HOLY **** is it a fantastic rod. I've used/owned 5-6 NRX models and I have two P5 spinning models and tbh it isn't even a close battle for me, Steez spanks them all (Now moving to Casting rods then I prefer the P5s over the Steez, but that has nothing to do with their sensitivity). Action, balance, sensitivity... all have been great. This trip coming up will be the true test. Interested in seeing if it dethrones my Destroyer Addermine as my favorite overall rod (both casting and spinning).

And just cause someone is going to ask, lol, I'm running the Steez 7'6 M/ML with a 3000MHG Vanquish - 10lb Daiwa J-braid Grand/7lb Sunline Sniper or 6lb Invizx leader.