What makes a good drop shot rod and which do you like?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What makes a good drop shot rod and which do you like?

Post by clemsondds » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:09 am

I’m looking to replace my dropshot rod. So wanting to learn more about them. What makes a perfect dropshot rod in your opinion? I understand Texas rig/shaky head where bottom contact sensitivity is of utmost importance…is that the same with dropshot? Another words, in the nrx line, there’s a 822 drop shot rod, a 821 ned rig rod and a 822 shakey head rod…what makes them different? And which rod have you used that you think is the best drop shot rod? Thanks

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What makes a good drop shot rod and which do you like?

Post by Bbrotz » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:05 pm

To me the perfect dropshot rod has a soft tip down to about the 3rd or 4th guide, which then transitions into its backbone. I think you should also buy the most sensitive rod you can afford. Any rod can transmit the normal tick tick bites, but a higher end rod will allow you to feel the more subtle pressure bites. It will also allow you to feel the slack line bites you sometimes get while your dropshot is falling. That soft tip will allow you shake the worm without moving the weight, it will also allow the fish take the bait without feeling you on the other end of the line.

If I’m fishing from my kayak or a boat I will mostly be drop shotting vertically. To me the perfect rod for this is the Nrx 822dsr.

If I’m fishing from the shore and casting out horizontally, the perfect rod is the previous generation Steez AGS 7’6 MML. It can absolutely launch a dropshot out there.

Both of these rods have the perfect action and are very sensitive

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 pm

Bbrotz wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:05 pm
To me the perfect dropshot rod has a soft tip down to about the 3rd or 4th guide, which then transitions into its backbone. I think you should also buy the most sensitive rod you can afford. Any rod can transmit the normal tick tick bites, but a higher end rod will allow you to feel the more subtle pressure bites. It will also allow you to feel the slack line bites you sometimes get while your dropshot is falling. That soft tip will allow you shake the worm without moving the weight, it will also allow the fish take the bait without feeling you on the other end of the line.

If I’m fishing from my kayak or a boat I will mostly be drop shotting vertically. To me the perfect rod for this is the Nrx 822dsr.

If I’m fishing from the shore and casting out horizontally, the perfect rod is the previous generation Steez AGS 7’6 MML. It can absolutely launch a dropshot out there.

Thank you! Great explanation! Unfortunately you didn't help though bc those were the two I was trying to decide between ha. I do fish from a boat though...so maybe I should go with the NRX. Do you have both? Can you compare the two a little more? thanks

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:39 am

Get the 822 DSR if you primarily fish for largemouth in stained water, get the 761MML if you primarily fish for smallmouth and largemouths in clear water. The DSR is an amazing DS rod, but it's pretty much a one trick pony. (Disclaimer: I have the previous generation DSR, not the NRX+.) It'll sing at 1/8-3/16oz DS weights. The 761MML is much more versatile, but IMO it's a 3-16-3/8oz DS rod. It's great for deep water and/or making bomber casts in crystal clear water (or want distance from the bank). I like the blue 761MML a bit better for DS than the new red one because it has a softer tip (better casting, and with DS you'll always use light-wire hooks and don't need much hooksetting power). But both work really well for DS.

The extra length of the 761MML can be a hassle, but I actually just fished a smallie lake from the kayak and had two of them with me; everything was deep water and I wanted long cast rather than fish vertically. If I'm dock fishing I very much prefer the length of the 822, tho.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:04 am

I have a 1st generation NRX 822 DSR, a first generation Steez 7'6" MML, and a Phenix K2 TX-713ML so here is my opinion on all for drop shots. I fish a light drop shot (3/16) in relatively shallow water (12ft or less) 90% of the time. I have found that the 1st gen Steez 7'6" MML has too much power for 3/16 ds weights. The crazy thing is that is feels good with much lighter ned rigs but when it comes to drop shot, it needs more weight to feel right, for me at least. The NRX 822 DSR feels great and was my go to ds rod for years until I switched to braid on my spinning setups. I have issues with the braid getting caught in the guides. I have 4lb fluoro on it now and it handles that fine but I like braid for ds over fluoro. This led me to the K2 713ML and for light weights using braid and a leader, it's about perfect in my hands for ds fishing. It's rated ML but fishes closer to L.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 am

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:09 am
I’m looking to replace my dropshot rod. So wanting to learn more about them. What makes a perfect dropshot rod in your opinion? I understand Texas rig/shaky head where bottom contact sensitivity is of utmost importance…is that the same with dropshot? Another words, in the nrx line, there’s a 822 drop shot rod, a 821 ned rig rod and a 822 shakey head rod…what makes them different? And which rod have you used that you think is the best drop shot rod? Thanks
So I've used a bunch of NRX/NRX+ rods including the 822s (No experience with 821)... if I had to pick one rod to dropshot with it's going to be the 852s. Solely do to the fact it not only will it do open hook dropshot very well, but excels with weedless setups. I use the roboworm 1/0 hook very often and the rod sticks them extremely well. When using the 822s in the past I would have issues with hook-up that I never have with the 852s even if the worm balls up over the hook when they inhale it.
Bonus point for the 852s being way more versatile than a 821/822s choice as well.

Looking outside of the NRX line... the best dropshot rod I have used is the MB Destroyer Addermine which currently isn't available however the P5 version will be out this winter. The grip on the P5s isn't as good as the 2016 Destroyers were, but if the blank is similar to the previous version that is definitely one to check out.

NJbasscat brought up the Steez and I will second that choice. IMO, the Gen 2 "The One" rod is the best spinning rod on the market atm. I would choose it over any current production rod that is available without a second thought. Anything you would want to throw on a spinning rod, it will do it. I just spent 4 days on St Clair and every other spinning rod, except my Addermine, basically sat on the deck. If the length is a concern, the 7'1 ML would be another good option, but it isn't "The One" either... something very special about that rod. There is a reason it is referred to a the unicorn.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:51 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:04 am
I have a 1st generation NRX 822 DSR, a first generation Steez 7'6" MML, and a Phenix K2 TX-713ML so here is my opinion on all for drop shots. I fish a light drop shot (3/16) in relatively shallow water (12ft or less) 90% of the time. I have found that the 1st gen Steez 7'6" MML has too much power for 3/16 ds weights. The crazy thing is that is feels good with much lighter ned rigs but when it comes to drop shot, it needs more weight to feel right, for me at least. The NRX 822 DSR feels great and was my go to ds rod for years until I switched to braid on my spinning setups. I have issues with the braid getting caught in the guides. I have 4lb fluoro on it now and it handles that fine but I like braid for ds over fluoro. This led me to the K2 713ML and for light weights using braid and a leader, it's about perfect in my hands for ds fishing. It's rated ML but fishes closer to L.
Just when I thought I had narrowed it down to two lol
JK I've heard good things about the K2 line!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:51 pm

I use my NRX 901s and its fantastic.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:17 pm

I fish clear and deep reservoirs. I have all of the rods mentioned and agree that they all are great, in different ways. My go to rod for drop shot is NRX 902 (1/8-1/4) or Conquest 902 (1/4-3/8). I need to make a long cast due to water clarity and the 7' 6" length provides effortless distance. I find the NRX to be more sensitive in my hand than the Steez MML. I use 6lb fireline with a long 5lb leader on a Stella 2500S. I can feel most bites.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 pm

amso4 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:17 pm
I fish clear and deep reservoirs. I have all of the rods mentioned and agree that they all are great, in different ways. My go to rod for drop shot is NRX 902 (1/8-1/4) or Conquest 902 (1/4-3/8). I need to make a long cast due to water clarity and the 7' 6" length provides effortless distance. I find the NRX to be more sensitive in my hand than the Steez MML. I use 6lb fireline with a long 5lb leader on a Stella 2500S. I can feel most bites.
Thank you! I live in North Carolina and fish 80% water with 2-4ft of visibility, and 20% in 10-15ft clarity. I just ubought the 852s and was planning for it being my primary shakeyhead rod. So I’m leaning toward the 822dst. Anyone think there’s a better rod for the conditions I’ll be fishing? Thanks

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:29 am

clemsondds wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 pm
Thank you! I live in North Carolina and fish 80% water with 2-4ft of visibility, and 20% in 10-15ft clarity. I just ubought the 852s and was planning for it being my primary shakeyhead rod. So I’m leaning toward the 822dst. Anyone think there’s a better rod for the conditions I’ll be fishing? Thanks
Not in my book. Just fished Lake Hennessey yesterday using the 822, Clear Lake (similar conditions, maybe a bit murkier) a bunch. In those places, the 822 DSR is king IMO as a dedicated dropshot rod. It just won't be as versatile as a 761MML or K2 713 (which I'd suggest over any NRX if it didn't fish as light as it does). 852 is too stiff, fast and powerful for dedicated DS in my book. It's a JWR for a reason, designed to drag the entire bait over the bottom (dropshot is bottom contact as well, but distributes the weight between the actual weight and the worm). As you get both you can compare yourself.

Longer rods like the 761MML or the 902s in clear water situations. But the 822 does clear water just as well, it just doesn't cast as far.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:22 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 pm
Bbrotz wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:05 pm

Thank you! Great explanation! Unfortunately you didn't help though bc those were the two I was trying to decide between ha. I do fish from a boat though...so maybe I should go with the NRX. Do you have both? Can you compare the two a little more? thanks
Like I said it just depends on how you like to fish your dropshot. If fishing from a boat and dropping straight down the 822dsr can’t be beat. The shorter length will also allow you to keep your bait in your transducers cone if using a fish finder. They both have perfect action for a dropshot with their soft tips. However the Steez is more powerful and gives you more confidence moving fish away from cover. That’s not to say the Nrx is not powerful, because I’ve pulled many 5+ pounders out of brush piles. When you really lean into a fish it has an unassuming amount of power. I’ve used the 822dsr for a few other things like a popper and small swimbaits, but that was just because that was the only rod I had at the time when those bites were going off. To me it is a dedicated drop shot rod. The Steez is a lot more versatile, but that’s not to take away with how perfect it is for dropshot.

So if your primarily fishing from a boat I would go with the 822dsr. The length of the 7’6 MML can get cumbersome at times. But from shore the Steez is king, especially with how versatile it is.

Side note, I’ve also owned and used the Phenix K2 713ml and to me it is too light for anything other than light line open water drop shotting. If you need to be in control of the fish and move them away from cover then this is not the rod for you. Having said that it is an amazing rod, it is the best looking rod I own and is super sensitive

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:28 pm

Take this with a grain of salt, as I’ve never used the newer Steez AGS 7’6mml, but I own two of the previous generation with the blue accents. But from what I’ve read the action on the older model is better suited for dropshot. Also I think it might be hard to find one of the previous generation for sale, so that might make it easier to go with the 822 dsr

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm

I have the (2) AGS rods from Daiwa in both the blue and red. After reading about the K2 wanted to give that a try so just bought one and will have to get it on the water soon. I have fished drop shot on Destroyer Addermine, GLX 820S, Expride light plus, Daiwa BLX, and Legend Tourney in the past and liked in on each for different reasons. I prefer Fast not XF for all fishing. If 820S was just a little more powerful that would be a great DS rod but for some reason have not fished the 822S.
Philippians 4:6

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:25 pm

MB P5 baby plugging maybe the finest DS rod I've fished with. I have the new NRX+ 822dsr as well but I prefer the deeper/slower taper of the baby plugging doesn't rebound nearly as quick as the NRX which is something you should look for in a DS rod IMO. Both are rigged at all times and actually have a 2nd BP as my spybait/mopping rod as well. You can definitely use the 822 for Neds as well actually because of the sensitivity. Ideally I believe the NRX+ 902s might be the best long cast dragging DS rod ever made as I sold my Conquest version and very much regret it.