Steez AGS Then Sensor and Megabass X-Bites

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Steez AGS Then Sensor and Megabass X-Bites

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:28 am

Anyone own(ed) both these rods and willing to share their experiences with them? I'm on the fence here. They appear to have similar uses cases but very different approaches to both power and action.

Thanks.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez AGS Then Sensor and Megabass X-Bites

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:49 am

What is your intended use ?
I am just curious and have nothing to offer on the x-bites
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:01 am

Bottom contact on the lighter end of the scale. Senkos weghtless--> 1/4oz bullet mainly.

Other techniques as well, but these would mainly be overlap. Shakeyhead/free rig if I go with the steez. Finesse jigs, dark sleepers. These sorts of things.

The Steez looks like it could take the place of a few rods I currently carry around, which would be great. The Xbites likely wouldn't throw low enough for that, but people keep saying it's their fav weightless senko/light t-rig stick and it would probably open up some new doors for me.

I'd love to know how well the Steez handles the top of it's weight range and how well the Xbites handles it's lower end.

The SMT intruiges me, but makes me nervous as well, I don't want a noodly tip per say, but a stiff/lighter XFAST tip I love for imparting subtle movements, so long as it hits backbone quick enough for a solid hookset.

I'm leaning Steez as you might guess from my post.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 am

Here is one problem I'm trying to solve:

The weightless Texas-rig senko.

There is a certain time of year where this just flat out outproduces everything for me, including a wacky rig. I'm often on bank or in a kayak and target casting structure and just letting it flutter down.

I've tried many rods for this but I haven't found the right balance between casting distance and power. MH's suffer in distance, M's usually as well, whereas a ML will absolutely BOMB this rig but lacks the power. So currently I've settled on an Expride ML casting rod, favouring casting distance. It sets the hook alright, but I have to go through half the rod to set and I'm looking for something more immediate.

I have a similar issue with lighter shakeyheads, 1/4 can go on just about any rod, but with an 1/8oz it's a balance between casting distance and hook setting power.

I suppose if I could solve this problem I'd be happy, and if I could throw heavier as well that would be a bonus.

From this perspective the Steez seems like it could fit and I'd welcome thoughts on this.

On the other hand the Xbites gets so much love and could handle the heavier side of what I'm looking to throw, including dark sleepers and such.

Thanks!

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:06 am

I have the X-Bites and love it although it doesn’t throw well enough for me at the low range. I plan to grab an Evergreen Black Raven soon for that but have also considered The Sensor for the same reason.

Joe

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:36 am

Thanks Joe, I think that solves the problem for me

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:18 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:06 am
I have the X-Bites and love it although it doesn’t throw well enough for me at the low range. I plan to grab an Evergreen Black Raven soon for that but have also considered The Sensor for the same reason.

Joe
I just bought the Sensor... :big grin:

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:18 am
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe
Let us all know what you think of it. I would’ve already bought the Sensor as well but my access to USDM models is a bit challenged being stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I do have a lot easier access to JDM stuff sometimes at steep discounts so it’s a trade off I’m happy to make for now.

Joe

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:24 pm

I really didnt have a leg to stand on since i never used the x-bites before and I didnt want to be biased as I own the Sensor.
So the sensible (<----) thing to do was to let those who own both chime in. I dont know why you would want both to be honest but i like the sensor and i am very interested in knowing what your thought are when you get it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:21 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:24 pm
I really didnt have a leg to stand on since i never used the x-bites before and I didnt want to be biased as I own the Sensor.
So the sensible (<----) thing to do was to let those who own both chime in. I dont know why you would want both to be honest but i like the sensor and i am very interested in knowing what your thought are when you get it.
Yeah I'll post some thoughts as I get some time on the water with it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well!

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:11 pm

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am
jejenkyns wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:18 am
Kimbro1014 wrote:

Joe
Let us all know what you think of it. I would’ve already bought the Sensor as well but my access to USDM models is a bit challenged being stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I do have a lot easier access to JDM stuff sometimes at steep discounts so it’s a trade off I’m happy to make for now.

Joe
I will definitely post back Joe, thanks. If you pick up any JDM Steez rods I'd love to hear about them as well. I thought about importing a Blackjack before settling on the Sensor. Honestly there were a number of 21 JDM Steez rods I was interested in.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:07 am

I own the sensor and have fished the x bites a bit. The x bites is definitely more powerful. Both are great rods and definitely have some application overlap. For instance, both can handle a 5” t rigged Senko, but if you jump up to the larger sizes, x bites is the clear winner. On the other hand, the sensor is superior for the 4” size. Back to the 5”, if it’s pegged with a weight up to 1/16, sensor wins, more than that I’d be leaning toward x bites.

On the higher weight end, the sensor can easily handle a 1/2 jig with trailer as long as said jig is the more compact light wire kind, like a keitech football head. I’d be hesitant to go much heavier in weight or hook wire gauge

I’m no expert, just my thoughts

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:13 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:07 am
I own the sensor and have fished the x bites a bit. The x bites is definitely more powerful. Both are great rods and definitely have some application overlap. For instance, both can handle a 5” t rigged Senko, but if you jump up to the larger sizes, x bites is the clear winner. On the other hand, the sensor is superior for the 4” size. Back to the 5”, if it’s pegged with a weight up to 1/16, sensor wins, more than that I’d be leaning toward x bites.

On the higher weight end, the sensor can easily handle a 1/2 jig with trailer as long as said jig is the more compact light wire kind, like a keitech football head. I’d be hesitant to go much heavier in weight or hook wire gauge

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm mostly fishing 5" senko's either weightless, or with a 1/8oz bullet, sometimes a 1/4. Most of the stuff I throw seems to fall into the overlap zone of the two rods, which I guess is why I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I throw a lot of 1/8 shakeyheads with finesse worms as well. free rig, so I guess it makes sense for me to err on the side of the lighter rod. I'd be more than happy if I can chuck some finesse jigs on this rod, even a lighter full sized jig once in awhile but that isn't my main jam.

I remain curious to see what all the P5 fuss is about. I own a few MB rods that I've been really happy with. Maybe next year ;)

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:00 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:07 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:24 pm

What reels do you guys have on your Sensors? Just curious about the reel weight. I've heard the rod isn't the paragon of balance =)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:00 am

I am running a IS79 or 73 with a Megabass honeycomb spool

I did have a TDZ ON it but the IS79 or 73 is better
More information
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=86601