Surf fishing (spinning) rods for jerkbait halibut in Socal area?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Surf fishing (spinning) rods for jerkbait halibut in Socal area?

Post by oops » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:29 pm

Looking for a 2 piece rod, preferably 9' to throw primarily a LC 110 on 20lb braid to 12-14lb fluoro. Been using a 9' too floppy Fenwick steelhead rod for a while. Tried to upgrade to a 9' Phenix trifecta lite as it came highly recommended but they sent me a presumably defective one that was nearly impossible to get the 2 pieces together. After a bad/weird customer service experience, I'm just going to return it as I have no interest in supporting the company at this point.

Looking to keep it below $300. Obviously rod specs vary but looking for something M-MH rated for roughly 8-20lb, 3/8-1oz and most likely fast action but there might be some moderate fast rods out there that would fit the bill. Pretty set on 9' multipiece. 8'6" could work but 8' just brings me to the territory where I'd do something dumb and go with a very high end single piece rod probably. On the other end, 9'6"+ is just too much rod for what I'm doing

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Surf fishing (spinning) rods for jerkbait halibut in Socal area?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:07 pm

If you can find one a Ballistick 86M TZ/NANO would be a great option and fall into your price range.

Here is a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96wmT4TJqM

There are a variety of similar JDM rods, as they make big use of rods like this for shore saltwater fishing.
Last edited by Aquaftm45 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 pm

oops wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:29 pm
Looking for a 2 piece rod, preferably 9' to throw primarily a LC 110 on 20lb braid to 12-14lb fluoro. Been using a 9' too floppy Fenwick steelhead rod for a while. Tried to upgrade to a 9' Phenix trifecta lite as it came highly recommended but they sent me a presumably defective one that was nearly impossible to get the 2 pieces together. After a bad/weird customer service experience, I'm just going to return it as I have no interest in supporting the company at this point.

Looking to keep it below $300. Obviously rod specs vary but looking for something M-MH rated for roughly 8-20lb, 3/8-1oz and most likely fast action but there might be some moderate fast rods out there that would fit the bill. Pretty set on 9' multipiece. 8'6" could work but 8' just brings me to the territory where I'd do something dumb and go with a very high end single piece rod probably. On the other end, 9'6"+ is just too much rod for what I'm doing
21 Labrax AGS 90ML - perfect for what you want to do.

I use it for flounder/albies from shore - https://youtu.be/beG9Z4pQgYg

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:23 pm

Daiwa Saltist Back Bay 83ML.
It's only 8'3", but fishes a little longer due to a relatively short rear grip. The reel seat is very comfortable, as well. It is rated 3/8-1 oz, and the rod is very light and balances well with a 2500-3000 size reel. Best of all, it's only $140.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:07 pm
If you can find one a Ballistick 86M TZ/NANO would be a great option and fall into your price range.

Here is a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96wmT4TJqM

There are a variety of similar JDM rods, as they make big use of rods like this for shore saltwater fishing.
This rod looks great, at first look it definitely looks very much like what I'm looking for. Didn't really realize there would be JDM rods in my price range. I'm just consistently disappointed with how lacking the USDM is in quality gear for...well everything but bass and large saltwater stuff. And even then it's still lacking a lot.

reason162 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 pm

21 Labrax AGS 90ML - perfect for what you want to do.

I use it for flounder/albies from shore - https://youtu.be/beG9Z4pQgYg
I think you may have hit a home run here. Looks like the exact specs I'm looking for. I won't go to prison for putting an Exsence on a Daiwa rod, right?
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:23 pm
Daiwa Saltist Back Bay 83ML.
It's only 8'3", but fishes a little longer due to a relatively short rear grip. The reel seat is very comfortable, as well. It is rated 3/8-1 oz, and the rod is very light and balances well with a 2500-3000 size reel. Best of all, it's only $140.
My googling might be weak but looks like this rod might be out of production? I'm kinda put off by the length but I love the price. Whenever I take a friend fishing in the bay I give them clearance sale drop shot rod with a Stradic, and a rod like this would be a way better fit even if it didn't work out for me.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:54 pm

I'm at the beach this week and there is one at a local shop that I've been eyeing for 3 years now. There's also a casting version that has a little more power....maybe I should buy both?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:55 am

I would lookup Carolina Castpro and call up the owner, Tommy Farmer. Great blanks and great rods. I bet the 8 footer extended would be the hot ticket.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:51 am

Try looking at this
https://thehookuptackle.com/products/sp ... at-fishing
Lucky Craft makes some fine rods. Light and sensitive. Very underrated. For something cheaper, I also use Majorcraft Seabass rods. You could check their shore jigging models if you want to throw heavier weights. These are also light and well balanced. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

Darrin

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:19 pm

oops wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am
I think you may have hit a home run here. Looks like the exact specs I'm looking for. I won't go to prison for putting an Exsence on a Daiwa rod, right?
I have a Stella on mine and so far remain a free man :)

But yeah I've owned or tried many JDM "suzuki" rods in that rough price range - Dialuna/Lunamis Palms up to the new Branzino AGS - the 21 Labrax was the one I kept. If you're going a little lighter that 90L is crazy light/balanced with enough oomph to land teener stripers and bluefish.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:41 pm

I’ve been really happy with my Edge BWS StR 905-2. They often have specials going to have them closer to your target price. I have a Van Staal VR50B on it and it’s a great combo for SoCal surf fishing. I also have the BWS StR 964-2 that I switch out for throwing sand crabs or crack for Perch, Corbina or Croaker.

https://edgerods.com/product/bws-str-905-2

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:46 pm

Actually, they’re an additional 30% off right now. I would call to see what they have in stock, otherwise, you could be waiting for months if you have to order one.

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:26 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:41 pm
I’ve been really happy with my Edge BWS StR 905-2. They often have specials going to have them closer to your target price. I have a Van Staal VR50B on it and it’s a great combo for SoCal surf fishing. I also have the BWS StR 964-2 that I switch out for throwing sand crabs or crack for Perch, Corbina or Croaker.

https://edgerods.com/product/bws-str-905-2
I second this rod. I built a rod on the st 905-2 blank from NFC (edge rods sister company that does the blanks) that was specifically for jerkbait fishing on norcal jetties for black rockfish, greeling, and lingcod. It performs extremely well, and isnt as stiff as you would think for a MH fast. This keeps my trebles pinned, and it does have a strong backbone for the larger fish. I like it so much im building another one right now :)

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:31 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:46 pm
Actually, they’re an additional 30% off right now. I would call to see what they have in stock, otherwise, you could be waiting for months if you have to order one.
Yes definitely call, even try multiple times throughout the day if you dont get an answer (which is pretty common). They are great rods/blanks, but I ordered a blank in January, and it got here in May because of backorder.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:59 pm

I'd be hesitant to use the ST 905 for this purpose. I built this blank up for drift fishing. It's not really designed for whipping out lures for distance and while it has backbone, it's pretty soft blank over all. With that said, it will work but not optimally.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:00 pm

I forgot about Black Hole's Suzuki Special Ultralight line. Probably perfect for your needs. Variety of lengths, and have a good action whipping lures. I had the none ultralight 10 footer and felt it was great for Surf fishing up to 2 ounces. The UL line are more geared for lures rather than high low rigs and are super light.