New US Market Poison Ultima

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New US Market Poison Ultima

Post by Dan B » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:13 am

Wow! What a beautiful combo! Sharp looking!

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:33 am

[/quote]
I'll write a little more later when I have more time, but after coming back from the pond I had to just say one thing:
This rod craps all over my NRX+/Steez rods... literally next level. I haven't held a rod that has impressed me this much since the 2016 Addermine.
[/quote]

Curious sir as to what NRX+ spin models you have fished besides the 852s. Thank you.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:18 am

TravisNY
Curious sir as to what NRX+ spin models you have fished besides the 852s. Thank you.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:38 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:18 am
TravisNY

Thanks, I ask as I am curious to how the blank bends under load compared to NRX+ models you’ve fished. I’ve got 7 of the NRX+ models and multiples of some so comparisons to the NRX+ blanks are what I’m intimately familiar with. I would guess SJR with a more pronounced bend rather than a shut off point (JWR).

The 7’ ML weighs 3.3 correct ?

Thanks again.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:41 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:38 am
Thanks, I ask as I am curious to how the blank bends under load compared to NRX+ models you’ve fished. I’ve got 7 of the NRX+ models and multiples of some so comparisons to the NRX+ blanks are what I’m intimately familiar with. I would guess SJR with a more pronounced bend rather than a shut off point (JWR).

Thanks again.
NRX+ actions vs JDM company blanks aren't going to be a good comparision... especially since GLoomis rods tend to have a faster action than most.

The Ultimas have a very similar action to Steez AGS / P5 rods. They have a fast tip, but when you load the rod it kicks in to a secondary action and bend deep into the blank. So you have the tip to fight the bait, but the bend to fight the fish.

And yes, mine weighed 3.3 with some bouncing into 3.4oz

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:33 am
I'll write a little more later when I have more time, but after coming back from the pond I had to just say one thing:
This rod craps all over my NRX+/Steez rods... literally next level. I haven't held a rod that has impressed me this much since the 2016 Addermine.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You guys need to stop. My wife is going to kill me.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:21 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:41 am
TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:38 am

Thanks again.
NRX+ actions vs JDM company blanks aren't going to be a good comparision... especially since GLoomis rods tend to have a faster action than most.

The Ultimas have a very similar action to Steez AGS / P5 rods. They have a fast tip, but when you load the rod it kicks in to a secondary action and bend deep into the blank. So you have the tip to fight the bait, but the bend to fight the fish.

And yes, mine weighed 3.3 with some bouncing into 3.4oz
You bomb casting a drop shot and where it loaded to with a 3lber gave me a pretty good indication. I get the JDM company blanks vs US Loomis but these being US models not specific to Japan spurred my inquiry.

While I’ve had my NRX+ models (and NRX before that) spins dialed in intimately to smallmouth I wouldn’t mind consolidating to some “do alls”. These could be it.

Appreciate your time.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:21 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:21 am
You bomb casting a drop shot and where it loaded to with a 3lber gave me a pretty good indication. I get the JDM company blanks vs US Loomis but these being US models not specific to Japan spurred my inquiry.

While I’ve had my NRX+ models (and NRX before that) spins dialed in intimately to smallmouth I wouldn’t mind consolidating to some “do alls”. These could be it.

Appreciate your time.
This rod is amazing, but if you wanted a "do all" rod and primary fish for smallmouth, especially up north, I would still recommend the Steez AGS 7'6 MML over all other rods... even over the NRX+ 872s

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:40 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:21 am
TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:21 am

Appreciate your time.
This rod is amazing, but if you wanted a "do all" rod and primary fish for smallmouth, especially up north, I would still recommend the Steez AGS 7'6 MML over all other rods... even over the NRX+ 872s
I’ve had it and much prefer the NRX models for being more dialed in to specific presentations. “Do all” may have been a poor term on my end. I was referring to a couple of the Mediums and a couple of the ML to cover my river smallmouth spin/kayaking needs.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 am
TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:33 am
[/quote]

You guys need to stop. My wife is going to kill me.
[/quote]

:lol:

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:15 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:19 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:38 pm
What are they retailing for in the US? I saw the announcement, but it didn’t have MSRP attached. I like my JDM 6’10” M (the 2022 model) quite a bit,, but feel that it’s so crisp (especially when compared with the typical Shimano taper) that it’s not as universal as aid hoped.

Edit: Never mind, they’re listed for $879 on Tackle Warehouse. That’s too high, these rods are great but not better than other halo rods that retail for 200-300 less.
That's how I feel with my new PG. Very crisp, not nearly as versatile as the Adrena. I can only imagine how crisp these blanks must feel.
I think the Glorious and Ultina blanks are the same. I know both use 1100g cloth, and I emailed Shimano.jp about what tech the Ultima had over the Glorious and got no response.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 am

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:15 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
What are they retailing for in the US? I saw the announcement, but it didn’t have MSRP attached. I like my JDM 6’10” M (the 2022 model) quite a bit,, but feel that it’s so crisp (especially when compared with the typical Shimano taper) that it’s not as universal as aid hoped.

Edit: Never mind, they’re listed for $879 on Tackle Warehouse. That’s too high, these rods are great but not better than other halo rods that retail for 200-300 less.
That's how I feel with my new PG. Very crisp, not nearly as versatile as the Adrena. I can only imagine how crisp these blanks must feel.
I think the Glorious and Ultina blanks are the same. I know both use 1100g cloth, and I emailed Shimano.jp about what tech the Ultima had over the Glorious and got no response.
I'd have to investigate, but I doubt this to be the case. Different cosmetics and components certainly wouldn't justify the price difference. Some of the Glorious blanks also utilize M40X material. Investigating I shall go.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:52 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 am
KP Duty wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Drakestar wrote:

I'd have to investigate, but I doubt this to be the case. Different cosmetics and components certainly wouldn't justify the price difference. Some of the Glorious blanks also utilize M40X material. Investigating I shall go.
I read about shimano utilizing m40x, just haven't run across a model with that m40 tag. Both of my '21 models have the Toray 100g tags. I see the same 1100g tags on the Ultimas posted on this thread. Regardless....love both PG and PU sticks.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:58 am

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:52 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:29 am
KP Duty wrote:
I read about shimano utilizing m40x, just haven't run across a model with that m40 tag. Both of my '21 models have the Toray 100g tags. I see the same 1100g tags on the Ultimas posted on this thread. Regardless....love both PG and PU sticks.
I have a JDM Poison Glorious and a JDM Poison Ultima, both the 6'10" M. Those blanks are definitely not the same :) You can tell as soon as you fish them, they load up very differently.