Shorter MH/H

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Shorter MH/H

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm getting close to picking up a new rod. As the title suggests I'm hoping to get a shorter rod to cover pretty much a medium heavy weight range for both bottom contact and some moving bait stuff as well.

Mainly I'd like to throw 3/8-1/2oz wobbleheads plus trailer, heavier spinnerbaits in the 3/4oz range (normally with trailer hook, 1/2oz buzzbait with plastics, sparse cover light frogging. Close range fishing mostly.

I have my eyes on the MB p5 SD and the Steez AGS Target Sniper. I gather the latter is more of a traditional MHF while the former is probably more of a MH+ to H power with a slower taper?

Which do you think would be more suitable for these techniques? Any other info would be great and other options within these lines would be good to consider and why.

I'm weary that the SD might be too heavy and the butt looks pretty long for a rod of it's length but I've yet to try a p5 so I'm very tempted to go in this direction none the less. On the other hand I own a Steez and it's my favourite and most used rod so I've no doubt I'd love the TS.

Thanks!

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shorter MH/H

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:39 pm

P5 Super Destroyer is your rod. It excels at the techniques you mentioned. It's also a very good caster for being a shorter rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:27 am

You've zeroed in on two outstanding choices. You'll love either rod as they are both premium, high performance rods. Yes, the P5 Super Destroyer has a slower action and a little bit more backbone than the more traditional "strong" medium heavy, faster action Steez AGS Target Sniper. Both of these rods are capable of effectively presenting everything you've listed. I'd give the nod to the Super Destroyer for the larger spinnerbaits, but I'd pick the Steez for the bottom contact presentations. I prefer the vibration transmission capabilities of the Steez over the P5 in this case but prefer the action of the SD for the larger spinnerbaits. Flip a coin, you'll win either way.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:25 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:27 am
You've zeroed in on two outstanding choices. You'll love either rod as they are both premium, high performance rods. Yes, the P5 Super Destroyer has a slower action and a little bit more backbone than the more traditional "strong" medium heavy, faster action Steez AGS Target Sniper. Both of these rods are capable of effectively presenting everything you've listed. I'd give the nod to the Super Destroyer for the larger spinnerbaits, but I'd pick the Steez for the bottom contact presentations. I prefer the vibration transmission capabilities of the Steez over the P5 in this case but prefer the action of the SD for the larger spinnerbaits. Flip a coin, you'll win either way.
Thank you for your response, it just took me some time to figure out what matters most to be and therefor what a good follow up question would be...

So hear goes:
1. which rod has a wider sweet spot, or throws a wider range of weights?
2. Which rod do you think is the more versatile rod overall if you had to pick one based on this one nebulous criteria? ;)

By the way, you rock for answering so many questions around here. Thank you!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Not-Bronzefly, but I love the Super Destroyer for wobbleheads. Such a perfect taper and power for “speed jigging”. I’d throw big spinnerbaits on it, too. And it’s a great rod for vertically fishing big flutter spoons. I’d do light-cover frogging on it if a short rod isn’t a concern, but I like running straight fluoro on this rod for those wobbleheads.

I’ve also taken the SD as my dedicated traditional jig rod (usually 3/8oz heads) and it’s not too slow to do that all day. It’s not going to beat a dedicated jig rod in this department, but it’s very capable.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:45 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:40 pm
Not-Bronzefly, but I love the Super Destroyer for wobbleheads. Such a perfect taper and power for “speed jigging”. I’d throw big spinnerbaits on it, too. And it’s a great rod for vertically fishing big flutter spoons. I’d do light-cover frogging on it if a short rod isn’t a concern, but I like running straight fluoro on this rod for those wobbleheads.

I’ve also taken the SD as my dedicated traditional jig rod (usually 3/8oz heads) and it’s not too slow to do that all day. It’s not going to beat a dedicated jig rod in this department, but it’s very capable.
Thanks for your thoughts. I ordered one. Wish me luck!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:25 am
Thank you for your response, it just took me some time to figure out what matters most to be and therefor what a good follow up question would be...

So hear goes:
1. which rod has a wider sweet spot, or throws a wider range of weights?
2. Which rod do you think is the more versatile rod overall if you had to pick one based on this one nebulous criteria? ;)

By the way, you rock for answering so many questions around here. Thank you!
You're welcome, glad to help!

1. Super Destroyer based on the more moderate action that lends itself to a broader range of techniques and weights.
2. See #1

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know what you think about it!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap