Shimano 22 Expride 1610M-S

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ormet
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano 22 Expride 1610M-S

Post by ormet » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:12 am

So I'm looking for a dedicated Jerkbait setup to throw lures like MB Vision 110 & MB Trick Darters. (1/4- to slightly above 1/2oz mainly) Many people say that the regular Expride 1060m is either the perfect Jerkbait rod OR that its to stiff and beefy for our Swedish waters chasing Redfin Perch.

Over here a 2lbs fish is a big fish and I catch maybe 1-5 per season. Most fish are around 1-1½ lbs.

I found that the Expride lineup also have a 1610M-S rod, rated M power and Fast action but for lighter lures, 5-15g instead of 7-21g and thought it might be a better fit for the fish I chase here. However I find NO information about this rod online. I have been trying to find out if its a good jerkbait rod for 2 days and i have searched the TT forum for it as well with 0 hits.

So if anyone have any experience to share, or any other recommendations for a dedicated jerkbait rod (JDM/EU availability, US brands are off limit due to our currency being crap compared to the Dollar at the moment) for when not targeting big Bass I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano 22 Expride 1610M-S

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 am

Hi there, I was in the same boat. This is a new model to the line up and I did hear from TTrap that it is a lighter version and great for jerkbaits. I will be picking one up soon.
Philippians 4:6

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am

The Expride B lineup generally became crisper and stiffer than the first iteration, making the B 6'10" M a worse jerkbait rod than the A version IMO. This slightly lighter version might get the B series back into that jerkbait sweet spot that the A series hit.

Generally speaking, I feel like the rod you want/need for this is dictated by the bait more than the class of fish you expect to catch. And a full-grown Vision 110, you'll probably want this kind of "heavy" rod.

ormet
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ormet » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:23 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 am
Hi there, I was in the same boat. This is a new model to the line up and I did hear from TTrap that it is a lighter version and great for jerkbaits. I will be picking one up soon.
Thanks, that was kind of exactly what I wanted to hear! So if its a new addition maybe some more info will surface in short.

ormet
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ormet » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:27 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am
Generally speaking, I feel like the rod you want/need for this is dictated by the bait more than the class of fish you expect to catch. And a full-grown Vision 110, you'll probably want this kind of "heavy" rod.
Yeah, I hear you. I guess it's an impossible equation to have a rod that is both fun to catch Redfin Perch on and get the full potential out of a bit larger Jerkbaits. So in the end i will have to choose what to prioritize. Thanks for your input!

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:16 pm

I could be wrong but I think the lower lure rating on 1610M-S is because it's a solid tip model. and if Expride B 1610M is stiffer/ faster than A, my question is how this 1610M-S is a better jerk bait rod than 1610M B? solid tip is even faster...

I don't own this model, I have the spinning model 2610M-S and had 2610ML B, lure ranges are same, and the solid tip model is definitely faster. nice rod though

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:00 am

StymoDe wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:16 pm
I could be wrong but I think the lower lure rating on 1610M-S is because it's a solid tip model. and if Expride B 1610M is stiffer/ faster than A, my question is how this 1610M-S is a better jerk bait rod than 1610M B? solid tip is even faster...

I don't own this model, I have the spinning model 2610M-S and had 2610ML B, lure ranges are same, and the solid tip model is definitely faster. nice rod though
Interesting, I didn’t know that the S means that this is a solid tip model. I was going off the fact that Expride B models are crisper and a tad more powerful than Expride A models (so the issue isn't really that they're faster in action, the extra power adds more unwanted stiffness), and a 1610 with a bit less power in the ratings would have dialed it back enough.

That said, IMO the perfect (and hard to find) jerkbait taper has a Fast - XFast tip that then transitions into a moderate taper deeper in the blank: that way, the jerkbait is accelerated quickly via the fast tip, and the rod then smoothly eases off that whip (so that the jerkbait doesn’t get literal whiplash, where the fluoro snaps back at the end of the jerk and makes it jitter). Fast acceleration, smooth ease-out. Almost no blanks have this kind of action (they're either uniformly fast or uniformly moderate), and the Expride A does it perfectly.

I haven't fished the S model, so it might be too fast a tip. But I can also see it working well.

jasonZ
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jasonZ » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:38 pm

StymoDe wrote:

Hi, sorry to bump this thread but these are actually 2 of the models that I am looking to buy. Do you have any insight on them? I am basically looking for a rod where I can pretty much throw anything finesse with. Initially, I was going to get the 610ml but I heard that it's very light and is only good for drop shots and nothing else. I plan on throwing 1/16-1/4oz drop shots, bottom/moving baits that is 3/8oz and under like neds,neko, jdm jigs, and light poppers/jerbaits like a vision 110 jr. I also potentially want to throw a vision 110 as well.

In addition, is the 610m-s a decent treble rod? I heard with solid tip, it's only good for bottom contact and that is it. Which rod do you think is more sensitive as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:00 pm

jasonZ wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:38 pm
StymoDe wrote:

Hi, sorry to bump this thread but these are actually 2 of the models that I am looking to buy. Do you have any insight on them? I am basically looking for a rod where I can pretty much throw anything finesse with. Initially, I was going to get the 610ml but I heard that it's very light and is only good for drop shots and nothing else. I plan on throwing 1/16-1/4oz drop shots, bottom/moving baits that is 3/8oz and under like neds,neko, jdm jigs, and light poppers/jerbaits like a vision 110 jr. I also potentially want to throw a vision 110 as well.

In addition, is the 610m-s a decent treble rod? I heard with solid tip, it's only good for bottom contact and that is it. Which rod do you think is more sensitive as well?

I had extensive use of Expride 2610ml A before I snapped it and had 2610ml B for a few outings before I sold it. I still own 2610M-S.
2610ml is definitely capable of doing a lot more than just drop shoting. It may not be for everybody but if you like the deeper bend into blank when casting and loading fish, you will like the rod, I used it for all kind of small soft plastics, paddle tails in particular for drop shop, jig head, underspin, Ned etc. only in open water for me. I didn't use it for treble hook, it does have a nice tip to keep fish pinned
I would say sensitivity is what you expect at its price point, lack of better slack line sensitivity is actually the main reason I sold the 2610ML B, A and B were very close in my hands. but almost all my other rods are more expensive than Expride so I'm not saying Expride lacks sensitivity, just my other rods are better :)
2610M-S being a solid model, bends more into tabular blank than I thought, it's faster than 2610ML but still has a nice bending curve when casting or loading. IMO it's good for dropshot, Ned, Neko, can handle both moving and bottom contact applications. I don't use it for treble hooks so no comments. I feel this solid model is a little more sensitive than 2610ML, but take it with a grain of salt...

jasonZ
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jasonZ » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:36 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:00 pm
jasonZ wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:38 pm
StymoDe wrote:

I had extensive use of Expride 2610ml A before I snapped it and had 2610ml B for a few outings before I sold it. I still own 2610M-S.
2610ml is definitely capable of doing a lot more than just drop shoting. It may not be for everybody but if you like the deeper bend into blank when casting and loading fish, you will like the rod, I used it for all kind of small soft plastics, paddle tails in particular for drop shop, jig head, underspin, Ned etc. only in open water for me. I didn't use it for treble hook, it does have a nice tip to keep fish pinned
I would say sensitivity is what you expect at its price point, lack of better slack line sensitivity is actually the main reason I sold the 2610ML B, A and B were very close in my hands. but almost all my other rods are more expensive than Expride so I'm not saying Expride lacks sensitivity, just my other rods are better :)
2610M-S being a solid model, bends more into tabular blank than I thought, it's faster than 2610ML but still has a nice bending curve when casting or loading. IMO it's good for dropshot, Ned, Neko, can handle both moving and bottom contact applications. I don't use it for treble hooks so no comments. I feel this solid model is a little more sensitive than 2610ML, but take it with a grain of salt...
Thanks for responding. That’s very interesting. That’s good to hear that the 2610m-s bends into the blank. I thought it would be extra fast. So would you say it’s like a fast action and is it somewhat parabolic?

Also, For both rods, do you feel like the lure rating is accurate? What’s the heaviest that you threw on both rods?

Lastly, which one do you think is more versatile?