Studio Composite rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Studio Composite rods

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:33 pm

Got myself a 5pc studio composite rod to use mainly with slide swimmers, and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them. I don't believe i have ever even heard of a single person on TT mention their rods lol Love their handles and knobs, so i assume their rods are quality, and its nice to see that they're Made in Japan, too.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Studio Composite rods

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:09 pm

These rods are awesome. I have a paradox 8 foot 6 in 4.5 power and a 7’3 in 5 power. They are tough as nails, simple, sleek, and sensitive. I’ve been planning to write an in depth review on the 8’6. I never thought I’d use such a long rod for bass fishing. I had bought it for snook. But I took it bass fishing one day and it’s been permanent in my rotation. The paradox rods are pretty amazing in that they have a monster power in the first third of the bat and still lively tips. They are 2 piece rods that break like a third of the length from the bat end. The 8’6 4.5 power is like an xxh in the first third of the bat and then a med heavy medium fast for the final 2/3rds of the rod. Put it together and it fishes like Paul Bunyan’s (sp?) MH++ fast. It can easily drive a beast hook into a 6+ lb’er within a 3 oz soft plastic swimbait. Yet, you can set the hook on a 1 pounder without ripping it out of the water. Also, you can switch between battle shad to a 3/8th oz chatterbait without missing a beat. I’ll write it up. I like the 73 too, but have not yet fished it as much yet. They are most definitely awesome rods. I’ll most a more in depth review in the future.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:36 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:09 pm
These rods are awesome. I have a paradox 8 foot 6 in 4.5 power and a 7’3 in 5 power. They are tough as nails, simple, sleek, and sensitive. I’ve been planning to write an in depth review on the 8’6. I never thought I’d use such a long rod for bass fishing. I had bought it for snook. But I took it bass fishing one day and it’s been permanent in my rotation. The paradox rods are pretty amazing in that they have a monster power in the first third of the bat and still lively tips. They are 2 piece rods that break like a third of the length from the bat end. The 8’6 4.5 power is like an xxh in the first third of the bat and then a med heavy medium fast for the final 2/3rds of the rod. Put it together and it fishes like Paul Bunyan’s (sp?) MH++ fast. It can easily drive a beast hook into a 6+ lb’er within a 3 oz soft plastic swimbait. Yet, you can set the hook on a 1 pounder without ripping it out of the water. Also, you can switch between battle shad to a 3/8th oz chatterbait without missing a beat. I’ll write it up. I like the 73 too, but have not yet fished it as much yet. They are most definitely awesome rods. I’ll most a more in depth review in the future.
great to hear

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:43 pm

I’ve fished their Transworlds since they first came out (7606 is my overall favorite one) and also really like their new For The Beast models with the new fatter carbon grip. Like all their other products, extremely high quality and top shelf performance for sure. I really don’t think the Transworlds even have any true peers that I’m aware of and it’s a rod that’s absolutely invaluable to me.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:06 pm

I also have a For The Beast rod because I wanted a more portable big bait rod and it is appropriately named. When I first unpacked it it looked like a grouper rod :lol: Have only been able to fish it for a few hours since I got it but really enjoyed it. Definitely a cool rod and need to spend more time with it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Can't wait to use it, but it sucks that the season's end is approaching so fast

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:27 pm

I recently got a For The Beast FTB70XXH as I wanted a compact swimbait rod, and really like it so far. The rod is fairly light, well balanced, and pretty sensitive. I've only thrown hardbaits in the 2-3.5oz range on it so far and it handles them quite well. I haven't caught anything over 4.5# on it yet but the fish caught so far were easily handled. I've owned several swimbait rods over the years and something about this one is just sexy, it definitely has a very commanding presence among my other combos.

Planning to bush the lure rating on the rod a little more in the coming days.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:43 pm

Received the rod today, and that thing is so damn well balanced. But i do hope they're not fragile because the walls of the blank do look pretty tiny for a rod made to handle baits over 4oz.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 am

Which model did you get? I use a 7607.5 quite a bit for those size baits but was also looking at one of the newer 6308.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:41 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 am
Which model did you get? I use a 7607.5 quite a bit for those size baits but was also looking at one of the newer 6308.
Got the 7'6" in the 6 Power. Now that i got a decent amount of time with the rod, i can definately say that i have not held any large'ish rods that were anywhere near as good. The balance is amazing and the flex on a cast and hookset is perfect. For the price these are going for, i kinda wish they added more bling like megabass, or at least have titanium guides, tho.

Would also like to see from them a standard medium 6.10" and a medium heavy 7.0"-7.2" rod both with full carbon handles and reel seats. All i am seeing from them is massive rods for big baits, which is cool, but why not offer standard size rods as well?

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:01 am

Transworld and Paradox series? Not sure where you’re looking but they have lots of bass rods all the way down to M to MH-type rods (1 to 3 power). To me the 7606-5 fishes more like a USDM X-heavy cover flip/frog/punch type rod and it’s on the extreme light end of the swimbait rod spectrum. It CAN lob cast a Deps 250 but for me that’s overloaded and at the absolute limit of the rod. The lure ratings are typical way over-optimistic JDM (because they have power lower in the blank and can cast above their class) and you just need to follow the power ratings for how they actually fish in my opinion. The new Transworld 7103-5 is pretty much exactly what you’re describing for MH rods and they had previously made a 7202-5 that’s a touch lighter as well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:24 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:01 am
Transworld and Paradox series? Not sure where you’re looking but they have lots of bass rods all the way down to M to MH-type rods (1 to 3 power). To me the 7606-5 fishes more like a USDM X-heavy cover flip/frog/punch type rod and it’s on the extreme light end of the swimbait rod spectrum. It CAN lob cast a Deps 250 but for me that’s overloaded and at the absolute limit of the rod. The lure ratings are typical way over-optimistic JDM (because they have power lower in the blank and can cast above their class) and you just need to follow the power ratings for how they actually fish in my opinion. The new Transworld 7103-5 is pretty much exactly what you’re describing for MH rods and they had previously made a 7202-5 that’s a touch lighter as well.
Yea, i've seen the 7202-5, but the lure rating is up to 2.5oz, so i thought it was more of a heavy than a MH.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:39 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:01 am

^^This—I’d suggest looking at the Paradox series where I think some real magic comes out in ID rods. I think you want to explore below the beast series. The 4 power results jn a rod that can do almost anything well.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm

Cranky wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:43 pm
I’ve fished their Transworlds since they first came out (7606 is my overall favorite one) and also really like their new For The Beast models with the new fatter carbon grip. Like all their other products, extremely high quality and top shelf performance for sure. I really don’t think the Transworlds even have any true peers that I’m aware of and it’s a rod that’s absolutely invaluable to me.
I’ve been looking at the transworld for a portable rod that I can take anywhere with me, how versatile are the rods?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:04 pm

Used mine a bunch since i purchased it. Cought a couple of muskies and a few smallies in the low 20's with it. Easiest 10/10 rod in a long while for me.