P5 ZCE versatility

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

P5 ZCE versatility

Post by russ57 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:05 pm

I'm looking for an all around medium rod for a variety of techniques, primarily like a senko, small plastics, small keitech, some poppers, etc. I would like a rod that has similar action to a Robyn's 703 but higher end.

Will the ZCE be a good all around medium choice? I know people say it's a treble hook rod, but in my experience Mb "treble hook rods" are too stiff for those applications (at least to me)

For reel I will prolly go Met or the new steez

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: P5 ZCE versatility

Post by godshippy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:16 am

Might want to also consider the Dark Sleeper rod.

I just recently picked up the Oneten Special, which is rated with a fast action and it's definitely rated correctly. I would imagine the regular taper on the ZCE would be a bit too slow--especially since it'll have a more moderate taper being a cranking rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:38 am

The P5 Z-Crank Elseil is not what I'd consider an all purpose rod. It is a fantastic treble hook moving bait rod with a nice deep flex in a light, crisp package. You're wanting to throw a 5" Senko, small Keitech swim baits, and poppers on a MH all purpose type rod, but the ZCE is F3.5 (Megabass Medium) which is somewhere between ML and M in general, and moderate in action so not a good choice. Are you throwing 1/4 oz poppers or 1/2 oz? Exposed hook on the Senko or rigged weedless? Also curious which Megabass rods you felt were too stiff for treble hook applications...

The Dark Sleeper is a good suggestion and a much better choice than the ZCE for your listed applications. Paired with one of the many magnesium framed Steez options, it's a very fun set up.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:09 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:38 am
The P5 Z-Crank Elseil is not what I'd consider an all purpose rod. It is a fantastic treble hook moving bait rod with a nice deep flex in a light, crisp package. You're wanting to throw a 5" Senko, small Keitech swim baits, and poppers on a MH all purpose type rod, but the ZCE is F3.5 (Megabass Medium) which is somewhere between ML and M in general, and moderate in action so not a good choice. Are you throwing 1/4 oz poppers or 1/2 oz? Exposed hook on the Senko or rigged weedless? Also curious which Megabass rods you felt were too stiff for treble hook applications...

The Dark Sleeper is a good suggestion and a much better choice than the ZCE for your listed applications. Paired with one of the many magnesium framed Steez options, it's a very fun set up.
Yea that's the other p5 I have considered. I thought the jerk bait special was too stiff for trebles but a pretty good snake rod

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:26 am

russ57 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:09 am
Yea that's the other p5 I have considered. I thought the jerk bait special was too stiff for trebles but a pretty good snake rod
I like the JDM P5 OneTen Stick better than the US P5 OneTen Special for the Vision 110 specifically. I understand the "Japan Style" vs "US Style" jerk bait rod thing, and both are effective, so it's a personal preference thing. The US P5 OneTen Special is a nicely versatile rod that handles a lot of single hook applications well - shaky heads, smaller swimbait/jighead set ups, a Senko, etc... Sounds like the Dark Sleeper would be a good option here.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:26 am
russ57 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:09 am
I like the JDM P5 OneTen Stick better than the US P5 OneTen Special for the Vision 110 specifically. I understand the "Japan Style" vs "US Style" jerk bait rod thing, and both are effective, so it's a personal preference thing. The US P5 OneTen Special is a nicely versatile rod that handles a lot of single hook applications well - shaky heads, smaller swimbait/jighead set ups, a Senko, etc... Sounds like the Dark Sleeper would be a good option here.
How does clx/conquest/nrx 842C compare?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:03 am

russ57 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm
I don't own or use any of the current Loomis 842 models, but the Loomis MBR 842 is a versatile medium power rod. I used to really enjoy the old GLX version I had. The current models NRX/Conquest both feel like very nice rods and I'm sure they fish similarly to the classic MBR 842's in general.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:19 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:03 am
russ57 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm
I don't own or use any of the current Loomis 842 models, but the Loomis MBR 842 is a versatile medium power rod. I used to really enjoy the old GLX version I had. The current models NRX/Conquest both feel like very nice rods and I'm sure they fish similarly to the classic MBR 842's in general.
Do younknow how the X10 bandersnatch would compare to the Dark sleeper?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:32 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:19 pm
Do you know how the X10 bandersnatch would compare to the Dark sleeper?
Not yet but someday! :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:15 pm

Daiwa Heartland 6'10 medium. These rods were designed for multi application versatility. I use mine for a little bit of everything. If I'm beating the bank and can only bring one stick, this is the one. Not sure what your budget is, but the Evergreen Orion series are built for versatility as well. Can't help with Megabass, not my cup of tea.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:17 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:15 pm
Daiwa Heartland 6'10 medium. These rods were designed for multi application versatility. I use mine for a little bit of everything. If I'm beating the bank and can only bring one stick, this is the one. Not sure what your budget is, but the Evergreen Orion series are built for versatility as well. Can't help with Megabass, not my cup of tea.
Where is the best vendor to procure one of these sticks?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:35 am

russ57 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:05 pm
I'm looking for an all around medium rod for a variety of techniques, primarily like a senko, small plastics, small keitech, some poppers, etc. I would like a rod that has similar action to a Robyn's 703 but higher end.

Will the ZCE be a good all around medium choice? I know people say it's a treble hook rod, but in my experience Mb "treble hook rods" are too stiff for those applications (at least to me)

To add, within the P5 line, I would look at the Dark Sleeper or the Cyclone. The DS is more of a MH rod with a fast taper compared to the Cyclone with a regular taper. The DS is absolutely terrific with the Sleeper series, flukes, shakey heads, botttom contact. The Cyclone is more a medium rod and works well with treble hooked lures, spinnerbaits, senkos and top water.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:17 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
It's been a bit, but reach out to Kazu at JPangler. He ordered one for me some time back.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:47 am

jmb27 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:35 am
russ57 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:05 pm

To add, within the P5 line, I would look at the Dark Sleeper or the Cyclone. The DS is more of a MH rod with a fast taper compared to the Cyclone with a regular taper. The DS is absolutely terrific with the Sleeper series, flukes, shakey heads, botttom contact. The Cyclone is more a medium rod and works well with treble hooked lures, spinnerbaits, senkos and top water.
I've never head of this model. Is it JDM? Rn I am leaning towards a GLX 842, I think. Or a conquest if I could find a reasonably priced one.

Edit: ok I see, F4-66 JDM model. Seem interesting for sure-a little short though

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:16 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:17 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
It's been a bit, but reach out to Kazu at JPangler. He ordered one for me some time back.
Koolio, thanks brother.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."