Swimbait glide bait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bmwkev
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Swimbait glide bait rod

Post by Bmwkev » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:58 pm

I’m new to the swimbait glide bait game I bought a G.loomis IMX-PRO 965c the 966c is out of stock I’m looking for the best quality rod I can get for throwing baits from 7oz-10oz any recommendations? Thank you in advance

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Swimbait glide bait rod

Post by godshippy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:34 pm

Are you throwing swimbaits with a jig style top hook? or are you throwing big treble hook swimbaits?

I recently purchased a Leviathan Omega Heavy Swimbait rod and I'm impressed by the craftsmanship and the action. I bought mine for throwing 3-4 oz glides.

Leviathan also makes an XXH that goes 6-16 oz.

BTW--these rods have a more moderate taper; so they're not really suited for jig style top hook swimbaits like big Hudds.

Low Down Customs is another maker that makes some really high quality swimbait sticks as well. They are not as moderate as the Leviathan; so they're suitable for both styles as long as it's within the rods weight range.

Bmwkev
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bmwkev » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:46 pm

Thank you for replying to my post and I’m looking to throw treble hook and jig hooks for swim baits and glide baits in the 7-10 ounce range and need a great quality rod I have been looking at the mega as Destroyer TS786 king of Baccarat and have had 1 out of 3 people say megabass rods are worth it but 1 guy said he has never even used one so I’m look for more recommendations

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:06 am

Bmwkev wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:46 pm
I’m looking to throw treble hook and jig hooks for swim baits and glide baits in the 7-10 ounce range
Technically, you're looking for two different rods. It's the same moving bait vs vertical bait presentation scenario as a stick for crankbaits vs jigs. However, there's more room for forgiveness with big baits. It can be done, but ideally you want a faster taper stick for soft bodied, jig style hooked big baits, and a more moderate taper for a treble hooked hard bait.
Bmwkev wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:46 pm
I have been looking at the mega as Destroyer TS786 king of Baccarat and have had 1 out of 3 people say megabass rods are worth it but 1 guy said he has never even used one so I’m look for more recommendations
The King of Baccarat will handle your needs here with ease. It's more than stout enough to toss baits up to 10 oz. It will handle more than that. And because it's so stout, you can toss the soft bodied jig style big baits too.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bmwkev
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bmwkev » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:07 am

Thank you for that information I appreciate it I did order a Megabass blackjack because most of my baits are in the 2-4oz and I just got notification that the G.Loomis 966c is back in stock so my question is would you go with the Loomis or the king of Baccarat?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:55 am

King of Baccarat! Better build imo

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:18 am

From what I have read--the Loomis is like the standard rod that people use as a comparison. The real nerds are buying other brands like Leviathan, Low Down Customs, F5, or Megabass for the enthusiast.