Longer, high end, versatile rod suggestions?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Longer, high end, versatile rod suggestions?

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am

Honestly, I’m not big on longer rods, but I’ve found having one longer, versatile rod in my arsenal is pretty useful. For the last several years, a first generation Orochi XX EMTF has been what I’ve used. It’s been a great rod but I’ve been getting the itch to bump up to something a little more high end/enthusiast level. Right now, I’m thinking a nrx+ 903c MBR might be the ticket, but what other rods should I consider? Any good jdm options? I think the steez bc 2 might be too powerful

Basically:
7’5”-8’
Medium heavy
Moderate fast to fast
Good for 14-16# fc
Can handle bottom contact and moving baits
Full grip a plus but split grip not a deal breaker
Cannot have an acs reel seat

Please share any suggestions!

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Longer, high end, versatile rod suggestions?

Post by HellaBread » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am
Honestly, I’m not big on longer rods, but I’ve found having one longer, versatile rod in my arsenal is pretty useful. For the last several years, a first generation Orochi XX EMTF has been what I’ve used. It’s been a great rod but I’ve been getting the itch to bump up to something a little more high end/enthusiast level. Right now, I’m thinking a nrx+ 903c MBR might be the ticket, but what other rods should I consider? Any good jdm options? I think the steez bc 2 might be too powerful

Basically:
7’5”-8’
Medium heavy
Moderate fast to fast
Good for 14-16# fc

an X7 extreme mission would basically be perfect but you gotta dig to find someone who will give one up. Most people who own x7 lineup rods take em to the grave for good reason they’re phenomenal.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:55 am

Poison Glorious 7'4" MH/RF. I have the '16 model (117g), and the blank behaves like a fast tapered rod. The '21 version somehow weighs only 105g and claims to be just as powerful.

https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/sh ... 0851&_ss=r

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:27 pm

an X7 extreme mission would basically be perfect but you gotta dig to find someone who will give one up. Most people who own x7 lineup rods take em to the grave for good reason they’re phenomenal.
Agree, that would be my recommendation as well!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:00 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:37 am

Basically:
7’5”-8’
Medium heavy
Moderate fast to fast
Good for 14-16# fc

A Nautilus may be in this conversation as well.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:10 am

Interesting suggestions, I'll need to look into these. I had briefly considered an X7 Western Flip but I'm afraid it may be just a bit lighter power than what I'm looking for

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:31 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:10 am
Interesting suggestions, I'll need to look into these. I had briefly considered an X7 Western Flip but I'm afraid it may be just a bit lighter power than what I'm looking for
I own the X7 Western Flip and the X7 Extreme Mission, and would choose the EM in your case.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 am

Likewise, I have both the X7 EM and Nautilus, EM gets my vote. It makes it out on all my trips while the Nautilus maybe 1 out of every 5 trips. And the Western Flip, a little too light based on the OP’s description of intended use.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:36 am

+1 to the X7 EM and P3 Nautilus

There are various other JDM rods that can do what you ask but their length is too low. Hard to find longer length JDM offerings.
Always learning...

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:19 pm

The Olympic Vigore 7'6 MH might be a good option. Top components and MIJ. I love mine, buy rarely am in an environment to use it..

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:46 pm

when i was reading your post the X7 EM came to mind immediately however
I wanted to say that the Steez Bottom Contact II is not the same as the Bottom Contact I.
That being said the BC II may just be what you want.. IMHO.. I have two of the I and one of the II
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:05 am

Brailst? P5 Dark Sleeper? I know the xx Brailist is like the EMTF of the old xx series when the current EMTF became a crankbait rod.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:54 am

I have the MBR 903C in the IMX Pro version and it is an amazing rod

rocket launcher caster. I use it with a curado 200i and 12 pound test Sufix Siege.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:39 pm

Okuma X Series is worth a look and IMO is an upgrade from the Orochi XX and perhaps even the X10. There's a 7'3" med & MH and a 7'5" MH.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."