Megabass VS. Shimano Jerkbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Alekg62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Megabass VS. Shimano Jerkbait Rod

Post by Alekg62 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:02 pm

Looking for opinions on the Zodias or Curado 6'10 medium VS. The Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Will be getting paired with a SLX 71 MGL XT. I know the Expride is widely considered one of the best but I'm holding off until I can get a better reel to pair one with.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass VS. Shimano Jerkbait Rod

Post by PKN8 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:30 am

Alekg62 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:02 pm
I know the Expride is widely considered one of the best but I'm holding off until I can get a better reel to pair one with.
I think you're answer is right here. Just grab the Expride and pair it with the SLX. The SLX won't "hinder" the rod in any way aka the Expride will perform just fine with that reel.

If you're set on waiting out a new reel, I'd get the Megabass Levante.
Always learning...

Alekg62
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Alekg62 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am

I think you're answer is right here. Just grab the Expride and pair it with the SLX. The SLX won't "hinder" the rod in any way aka the Expride will perform just fine with that reel.

[/quote]

Appreciate it. Might do just that.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:59 am

PKN8 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:30 am
Alekg62 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:02 pm
I know the Expride is widely considered one of the best but I'm holding off until I can get a better reel to pair one with.

Welcome to TT, I think PKN8 has made an excellent recommendation. The primary component of using jerkbaits until you get much more sophisticated in your approach is the rod, and the SLX is certainly no slouch as casting reels go. So, my recommendation is to get the Expride now and save up for a new reel down the road, otherwise, the MB Levante is the best option in the sub-$200 range as far as rods designed for presenting jerkbaits go.

I'll make a further recommendation based upon using Megabass, Lucky Craft, DUO, and OSP jerkbaits since 2003 as far as rods go since that will remain your primary component of the system unless you go crazy and start buying a bunch of Steez or Antares DC reels.

Mind you these are high end to enthusiast level casting rods designed specifically for jerkbaits and as in any type of fishing style/technique, you can build a cottage or a castle, it's strictly up to you and these rod recommendations are hardly gospel but since you've made it to TT, I'd be remiss if I didn't give you some of the best options that exist in the world today.

1. High End Level Jerkbait Rod: Megabass Destroyer P5 OneTen Stick

2. Enthusiast Level Jerkbait Rod: Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare RSC-70MF-SXF Cougar Elite 7 RS

3. Aspirational Level Jerkbait Rod: Sedition Bloody (These are no longer being produced but can still be found in Japan on the secondary market)

Good luck with your jerkbait fishing and tight lines!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:29 pm

Get the Expride its a sweet stick for jerkbaits.

I tried a buddy's P5 One ten special and caught many fish withit that day he tried the Expride, the MB is a tad heavier in action a bit less crisp than the expride.

No exp on the MB levante but MB is about to release their new Orochi and Loomis just released a new Jerkbait rod...
Kenjutsu
(剣術)