Daiwa Steez AGS QC

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS QC

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:54 am

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 am
The hood cracked on my target sniper when fighting a fish. I have been waiting on a replacement for 6 months.
Give them a call, It could be sitting there this entire time and just something wonky might have happened like it did to me. I’ve read some people had their warranty replacements delivery method mismarked as in person pickup when it should have been shipped. My first round of replacements took less than 2 weeks and apparently this 2nd replacement has been ready for pickup for the past 3 weeks they just never called/left a voicemail even though they claimed they’ve been calling.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 am

You guys doing the pickle jar crank with your wrist twist or just taking the finger tips and turning the lock nut? I used to do the pickle jar crank until I cracked a cheap rod decades ago and switched to the finger tight method. Never been a problem since.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:30 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 am
You guys doing the pickle jar crank with your wrist twist or just taking the finger tips and turning the lock nut? I used to do the pickle jar crank until I cracked a cheap rod decades ago and switched to the finger tight method. Never been a problem since.
Finger tight, I think it’s just the qc/manufacturing issue of the reel seat. First set of rods this wasn’t an issue, but the replacement either came with a crack or cracked during use on the first outing because I didn’t notice anything was wrong until an hour into the session the setup felt off. At this point id rather daiwa just go back to using a fuji seat or at the very least if they wanna have their own design they should get fuji to produce it just like megabass does with their seats.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:30 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 am
Finger tight, I think it’s just the qc/manufacturing issue of the reel seat. First set of rods this wasn’t an issue, but the replacement either came with a crack or cracked during use on the first outing because I didn’t notice anything was wrong until an hour into the session the setup felt off. At this point id rather daiwa just go back to using a fuji seat or at the very least if they wanna have their own design they should get fuji to produce it just like megabass does with their seats.
Wowzers there is definitely an issue with these.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:30 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 pm
I buy Megabass and forget what issues with rods even means 8-)
The locking fore nuts on MB have historically cracked, have paint chips, and have the carbon weaves and components come unglued from the fancy metal locking nuts. My LWL Super Diablo II has had the elaborate metal locking foregrip nut separate from the carbon fiber lower/actual locking foregrip nut since the first month I used it.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:21 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:30 am
SSS wrote:
The locking fore nuts on MB have historically cracked, have paint chips, and have the carbon weaves and components come unglued from the fancy metal locking nuts. My LWL Super Diablo II has had the elaborate metal locking foregrip nut separate from the carbon fiber lower/actual locking foregrip nut since the first month I used it.
Paint i think was mostly a fuji thing i think, I remember they used to offer black components as an option and stopped. The only megabass rods I ever had any build issues with is the x7 series which was infamously light on epoxy and had a black painted locking hood but was still arguably the best blanks they ever produced. The rest of them I haven’t had any issues with so far (knock on wood). I think going forward i’m either building my rods or if i do buy a production rod it’s gonna be a megabass or maybe i’ll try something new in the future

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:28 pm

Weak epoxy on MB reel seats and the elaborate components have been repaired by owners and sellers for a long time, this said the blank and design and aesthetics is what always made many OG models legendary and highly desired.

FWIW, the pretty metal locking metal foregrip nut on the Gen I Poison Adrena also creaked and slightly popped under any sort of medium or heavier hookset...at least my heavy JDM Swimbait model does.

Some of the cleanest I have seen were a factory Legit Design Wild Side, essentially any Evergreen JDM I have owned and even the current Gen II Combat series. The three Luxxe Efreet I have owned and fished were also flawless, and some OG Orochis were spectacular as well, as is my lone Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III.

Still, nothing has come close to a few of the customs I have owned, and of all the dozens of customs I have had, Vinnie builds the most impeccable and immaculate rods.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:28 pm
Weak epoxy on MB reel seats and the elaborate components have been repaired by owners and sellers for a long time, this said the blank and design and aesthetics is what always made many OG models legendary and highly desired.

FWIW, the pretty metal locking metal foregrip nut on the Gen I Poison Adrena also creaked and slightly popped under any sort of medium or heavier hookset...at least my heavy JDM Swimbait model does.

Some of the cleanest I have seen were a factory Legit Design Wild Side, essentially any Evergreen JDM I have owned and even the current Gen II Combat series. The three Luxxe Efreet I have owned and fished were also flawless, and some OG Orochis were spectacular as well, as is my lone Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III.

Still, nothing has come close to a few of the customs I have owned, and of all the dozens of customs I have had, Vinnie builds the most impeccable and immaculate rods.
Funny enough whenever I build a custom for personal use it’s so minimalist function over form it’s not even funny. It’s the most boring looking stick out of all the setups i bring but it’s exactly how I want that rod laid out just without all the flashy bells and whistles.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:21 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 am
The hood cracked on my target sniper when fighting a fish. I have been waiting on a replacement for 6 months.
Got my replacement rod from daiwa and yeah they said this thing was ready for pickup since the 4th of march. They told me they tried to call and when they went to go leave a voicemail it said the voicemail box was full even though I had no missed calls from them and my voicemail box is empty so idk what’s going on with that. When I told them the reason why I waited so long to finally decide to call in and ask was I thought maybe they were back ordered on the steez rods to which they told me they’re almost never back ordered on this lineup so you might wanna call them and ask what’s going on with your replacement.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:28 pm

Funny enough whenever I build a custom for personal use it’s so minimalist function over form it’s not even funny. It’s the most boring looking stick out of all the setups i bring but it’s exactly how I want that rod laid out just without all the flashy bells and whistles.

FWIW, Vinnie has built incredibly exquisite and beautifully intricate customs... unfortunately and sadly is has "retired"

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 am

My first cast with “The One” the metal ring at the top of the handle slid up the blank. Had to glue it so I could keep fishing the rod that day… luckily I had some with me!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 am

SSS wrote:

Yeah, I used to go whisting past that graveyard too :whistle: