Daiwa Steez AGS QC

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Steez AGS QC

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:22 am

Not sure if daiwa qc has been slipping as of late or if it’s always been this spotty since this is the first time I’ve owned any of their rods. I currently have 2 steez rods, a bottom contact 2 and a power pitch. After the first few outings I realized the guides on both of them were cockeyed and one of them had incomplete epoxy coverage on the thread wraps. Daiwa is thankfully within driving distance so no big deal I dropped them off for warranty replacement. First outing with the power pitch replacement and I notice something feels off about it in my hand. Turns out the reel seat locking hood has a crack in it. Immediately ended the session and drove straight to daiwa to drop it off again. I feel like a flagship line of rods with this kind of price tag shouldn’t be suffering from issues as basic as guide alignment. Thankfully these were USDM and I had the warranty to cover. I usually am ok with taking the risk of forfeiting a warranty by buying JDM like I did with all of my megabass sticks but this experience really is making me reconsider ever buying another daiwa rod let alone trying out any jdm steez models. Is this typical of Daiwa qc in the past or not? One lemon I can understand but having issues with both rods and one of the replacements is kind of absurd. Bottom contact 2 replacement hasn’t been fished yet and i’m not sure if i want to.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS QC

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:18 am

That is very dissapointing to hear. Interesting to hear if others have had the same QC issues with that lineup. I migrated away from a couple of the JDM brands that do not actually make thier rods in Japan because of the same issue. If your spending that kind of money, buy rods actually made in Japan, they have the best QC. Best of luck.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:58 am

My Power Pitch reel seat locking hood cracked first time I was putting a reel on it. Disappointing to say the least. I have 4 current generation Steez AGS and one prior gen and I felt those older blue sticks had better quality managements.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:07 am

StymoDe wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:58 am
My Power Pitch reel seat locking hood cracked first time I was putting a reel on it. Disappointing to say the least. I have 4 current generation Steez AGS and one prior gen and I felt those older blue sticks had better quality managements.
Considering these were my first daiwa rods, disappointment was an understatement. Shame really because i really enjoyed them while I did have the chance to use them. But at the price point it’s super unacceptable. At least I got my custom builds and P5s to use still

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:18 am
That is very dissapointing to hear. Interesting to hear if others have had the same QC issues with that lineup. I migrated away from a couple of the JDM brands that do not actually make thier rods in Japan because of the same issue. If your spending that kind of money, buy rods actually made in Japan, they have the best QC. Best of luck.
I’m actually not a stickler about where the rod was made (when i say rod i mean the blank) I just care if the product is good or not and meets the standard and expectations set by the price tag. But daiwa seems to really have dropped the ball. For comparison i love my all of my megabass rods and those blanks aren’t made in japan but I think the thing that made the difference is at least megabass finishes the assembly of the rods in japan so there’s tighter qc on that end

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:34 am

HellaBread wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 am
at least megabass finishes the assembly of the rods in japan so there’s tighter qc on that end
Is this actually true? My understanding was that the rods were designed in Japan, and made in China. I might be completly wrong. But, wondering where you got that information?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:44 am

Look at the fine print of any of your megabass rod tags. I’m going to assume this does not include the levante series because I’ve never owned any of them so i can’t say

Raw carbon material for the blank is from japan, most likely name brand material like toray, etc depending on product line, blanks made from said material in china, blanks then go to japan for final assembly into completed rods is how i deciphered that
Attachments
IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:01 am

Good to know. I guess it was the "Assembly in China" that always caught my attention. Ito is a great designer and innovator.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:01 am
Good to know. I guess it was the "Assembly in China" that always caught my attention. Ito is a great designer and innovator.
Only thing I hate is some of his reel seat designs really don’t play nice with the way I grip my rod while fishing. I’ve seriously contemplated taking a grinder to my p5s to take off that 2nd finger groove/nub bc it feels like a war crime in my hand

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am

Finding out that an expensive rod has problems always sucks, but hopefully your pains are now over. I have six 2021 USDM Steez rods (The Ned, Finesse Game Special Casting, Universal Light, The One, Moving Bait Versatile & Heavy Cover Special), plus the blue Unicorn Rod, and none of them have had problems. Hoping the same is true for you!

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:28 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am
Finding out that an expensive rod has problems always sucks, but hopefully your pains are now over. I have six 2021 USDM Steez rods (The Ned, Finesse Game Special Casting, Universal Light, The One, Moving Bait Versatile & Heavy Cover Special), plus the blue Unicorn Rod, and none of them have had problems. Hoping the same is true for you!
The power pitch replacement is still not ready for pickup and It was dropped off on 02/28 so not completely over yet but hopefully soon

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:28 pm
Drakestar wrote:
The power pitch replacement is still not ready for pickup and It was dropped off on 02/28 so not completely over yet but hopefully soon
Welp decided to call in and check on my warranty claim and apparently my rod has been ready for pickup for the last 3-4 weeks….not even a phone call, voicemail or email like they usually do but they said they’ve tried calling me. I literally have the office number saved as a contact and have had the same phone number on file with them in my customer account for the past 7 years. Daiwa USA what’s going on with you man….

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:25 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm
HellaBread wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:28 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Welp decided to call in and check on my warranty claim and apparently my rod has been ready for pickup for the last 3-4 weeks….not even a phone call, voicemail or email like they usually do but they said they’ve tried calling me. I literally have the office number saved as a contact and have had the same phone number on file with them in my customer account for the past 7 years. Daiwa USA what’s going on with you man….
Yea their CS has been a bust since the year before covid, when they started using inventory file transfer as excuses. Last year i ordered parts over the phone, nothing for 2 weeks, called, it was put down as pickup when the invoice showed i paid shipping. Unbelievable :lol: it's a shame because their CS was excellent before.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 pm

I buy Megabass and forget what issues with rods even means 8-)

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 am

The hood cracked on my target sniper when fighting a fish. I have been waiting on a replacement for 6 months.