Shimano Aldebaran 2015!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran 2015!

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Looks like they are available for pre-order at japantackle for $335. I posted the link below to all the specs they have on them.

http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shim ... an2015.htm

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 pm

To get to 4.7oz I think maybe full ci4+? I hope it has magnesium frame and ci4+ sides.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:01 pm

The description at japantackle said Ci4 sideplates but it didn't say the frame material.

armjamal
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by armjamal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:38 am

hungry_cow wrote:The description at japantackle said Ci4 sideplates but it didn't say the frame material.
the frame is electro-coated magnesium

dweller72
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dweller72 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:49 am

Looks like a battleship

dweller72
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dweller72 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am

dweller72
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dweller72 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:51 am

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:16 pm

dweller72 wrote:Image

Looks like a battleship
Battleship?? Yeah the Zumwalt perhaps

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 am

I pre ordered the BFS XG thru Japan Tackle. Can't wait!!

dweller72
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dweller72 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:02 am

Jrob wrote:I pre ordered the BFS XG thru Japan Tackle. Can't wait!!
The BFS XG is superb..

vanschalkwykstephen
Angler
Angler

Post by vanschalkwykstephen » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Anyone fished an Alde 50 and able to give feedback? 8-[

SankTheBoat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SankTheBoat » Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm currently using the 50HG on a Kistler Helium 3 rod for target casting light Texas rigs. This thing is an amazing caster. I had to drop down to one brake on, versus 2 or even 3 on the rest of my SVS Infinity reels (my thumb is somewhat educated, but it tends to get distracted and behave as though it's ignorant). To be fair, though, I use it with pretty light braided line. Anyway, it casts much more consistently and effortlessly for distance than I was expecting, it's extremely light, and the retrieve feels smoother than you'd think on a sub-5 ounce reel.

The main negative for me was the knobs. They're far too small for my taste. Felt silly and uncomfortable in my hands. I actually replaced them with the foam knobs from a couple of my Stradic CI4+ reels, which I didn't like on the Stradics but oddly enough I love on the Aldebaran. Go figure.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 am

I bought 10 of the Aldebaran 50HGs and love them. I had a bit of trouble with the aesthetics at first, but the look grows on you after a while.

On my older Adebarans and Core 50Mg7s, I had to grind off the boss on the lower left side plate as it was uncomfortable because of the way I grip the rod/reel. The new reel requires no such modification.

I swapped out the spool bearings with the Orange Seal hybrids from my old reels. Because of the way the right side spool bearing is mounted on the spool shaft, the cross pin must be removed to change out or remove the bearing. Not a big deal.
The brake system is a definite improvement. I use one brake weight and the external adjustment gives me enough variation to compensate for differing conditions. The adjustment wheel is a bit stiff, but I’d rather have it stiff than loose so as to avoid inadvertent/unintended changes. The reel will cast lighter lures more efficiently than the Core or older Aldebaran. I didn’t see much difference in distance casting compared to my older reels.

Although these reels (as well as their predecessors) are purported to be for light duty finesse fishing, I use them for just about all bass fishing techniques, including frog fishing with no problems. I have kept an inventory of spare gear sets in case of the “fragile” alum drive gear failing, but have had to replace gears very rarely….and that wasn’t so much “failure” as it was lack of smoothness…(for lack of a better word).

The new Aldebaran does have a lower line capacity, which is fine by me. I believe it’s like 75 yards (225’) of 20# Power pro Super Slick. More than enough for me. I replace (or reverse) 150 feet when necessary.

FWIW, my old Aldebarans and Core 50Mg7s sold for enough to make the purchase of the new Aldebarans affordable. For some reason the Cores brought better prices than the Aldebarans, so I’ll hang on to some of them as I always liked them a bit better than the Cores anyway.
Last edited by jim spooner on Wed May 06, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed May 06, 2015 1:11 am

jim spooner wrote:I bought 10 of the Aldebaran 50HGs and love them. I had a bit of trouble with the aesthetics at first, but the look grows on you after a while.

On my older Adebarans and Core 50Mg7s, I had to grind off the boss on the lower left side plate as it was uncomfortable because of the way I grip the rod/reel. The new reel requires no such modification.

I swapped out the spool bearings with the Orange Seal hybrids from my old reels. Because of the way the right side spool bearing is mounted on the spool shaft, the cross pin must be removed to change out or remove the bearing. Not a big deal.
The brake system is a definite improvement. I use one brake weight and the external adjustment gives me enough variation to compensate for differing conditions. The adjustment wheel is a bit stiff, but I’d rather have it stiff than loose so as to avoid inadvertent/unintended changes. The reel will cast lighter lures more efficiently than the Core or older Aldebaran. I didn’t see much difference in distance casting compared to my older reels.

Although these reels (as well as their predecessors) are purported to be for light duty finesse fishing, I use them for just about all bass fishing techniques, including frog fishing with no problems. I have kept an inventory of spare gear sets in case of the “fragile” alum drive gear failing, but have had to replace gears very rarely….and that wasn’t so much “failure” as it was lack of smoothness…(for lack of a better word).

The new Aldebaran does have a lower line capacity, which is fine by me. I believe it’s like 75 yards (225’) of Power pro Super Slick. More than enough for me. I replace (or reverse) 150 feet when necessary.

FWIW, my old Aldebarans and Core 50Mg7s sold for enough to make the purchase of the new Aldebarans affordable. For some reason the Cores brought better prices than the Aldebarans, so I’ll hang on to some of them as I always liked them a bit better than the Cores anyway.
I'm still waiting for mine :(

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Wed May 06, 2015 1:40 am

vanschalkwykstephen wrote:Anyone fished an Alde 50 and able to give feedback? 8-[
I've fished an Aldebaran 50 for about 6 weeks now and have been very impressed. Casting distance and on par with the Chronarch CI4+ and Metanium, however seems to require less effort. I've also found the SVS Infinity on the Aldebaran to be easier to "get set right" than the Curado I or CI4+.

The knobs definitely take some getting used to. They're extremely flat and lack the "sticky" grip that Shimano knobs usually exhibit. I'm keeping them stock for now.

The Aldebaran 50 has shown no problems handling fish. However, I have noticed that I must really crank the drag down to get it set for bass fishing.

All in all, I really like it. I plan on adding a 50 HG in a month or 2.