Daiwa SV103

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa SV103

Post by 389Maverick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:08 am

aquaholik wrote:The SV 103 is the original Zillion style down to the red and purple accent on the reel. The only difference is the CCC!
](*,) [-X

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:29 am

389Maverick wrote:
aquaholik wrote:The SV 103 is the original Zillion style down to the red and purple accent on the reel. The only difference is the CCC!
](*,) [-X
You're missing the point. Obviously the SV spool is the difference also since after all, it is an SV reel. I'm just saying design wise, it's an original Zillion design with an SV spool and the obvious magnetic brake profile to match it. More reason for Daiwa to call it a Zillion SV since the design is based of the original Zillion but this time with the changes to accommodate the SV 103 spool which obviously is shallower and holds less line than the original Zillion.

Now the Zillion SV TWS does borrow the clicking CCC and overall body design but it's missing the parallel accent and the holes along the crossbar.

Either way, Daiwa has saturated and confused the buyers with all their variations, all in a relatively short time.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:44 am

aquaholik wrote:
389Maverick wrote:
](*,) [-X
You're missing the point. Obviously the SV spool is the difference also since after all, it is an SV reel. I'm just saying design wise, it's an original Zillion design with an SV spool and the obvious magnetic brake profile to match it. More reason for Daiwa to call it a Zillion SV since the design is based of the original Zillion but this time with the changes to accommodate the SV 103 spool which obviously is shallower and holds less line than the original Zillion.

Now the Zillion SV TWS does borrow the clicking CCC and overall body design but it's missing the parallel accent and the holes along the crossbar.

Either way, Daiwa has saturated and confused the buyers with all their variations, all in a relatively short time.
The SV103 is built on the same body style/platform as the OG zillion/TDZ. We've known this since the first issued picture was brought to anybodys attention. SV spool aside, the OG zillion/TDZ platform is what everybody is/was excited about. You aren't bringing up anything new. If your argument is that they should of called it the Zillion SV103, that's fair, but...who cares...the OG zillion platform is back.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:15 am

aquaholik wrote:
389Maverick wrote:
](*,) [-X

Wasn't the original Zillion 8.6 oz, the SV103 is 7.8
The 34mm spool is also very interesting, as it would basically accommodate any Steez platform spool.

I'm happy Daiwa modified the Tat/Zillion TWS body, just proves they're listening. (they seem smaller from what I've heard).
The dust should settle, it's that time of the year when new models hit the shelves, they'll phase out the previous gens.

A clicking cast control knob is a nice option, but definitely not a deal breaker for me, the porting on the top hood is most likely intended to shed weight, it is also often seen on type R variations.

Love my J-Dream, couldn't be happier Daiwa re-introduced the SV103.
Now if I hadn't bought an SV spool from Hogsticker2, this reel would be in my hands by now :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Did you get that spool yet Mav? I'm hoping so!

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Did you get that spool yet Mav? I'm hoping so!
Yessir! \:D/

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm dying to know how well the SV103 "OG" will handle the heavy hitter style fisherman who is mounting it on an XH 8' flipping stick with 20 or 25lb flourocarbon. I would think by the end of a real good day fishing the line capacity would have you needing to re-spool. It perplexes me a little that such a solidly over built "tank" of a reel that has a following as a heavy cover machine gets mated to a finesse spool. I'm very thrilled by the re-issue of it but am kind of concerned as for me the OG that is replaced was what most considered a heavy duty reel. Now we have a heavy duty reel with a light duty spool? I'm not so sure I'm on board with it just yet.....anyone else feel me on this?
It's like having a 4x4 truck designed for towing having a 4 cylinder in it....just doesn't make sense.

PE lines excluded, as PE line use would be great with such a setup.

LNunley
Angler
Angler

Post by LNunley » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:39 pm

I feel like they may hold more line than what is advertised. A 200 yard spool of 16 pound FC sniper did not fully fill up two reels for me.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:13 am

Keep in mind you can put a 1016 in it, or even a Steez longcast which will hold a substantial amount of heavier line.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:19 am

Not sure why you would need more than 100 yards of 12-16 lb test for most any bass fishing conditions. This is the deep version of the SV spool. While this reel isn't marketed towards finesse angling, it will be nice to throw lighter baits making it even more of a workhorse than the OG imo. The stock OG handled 3/8 and up fairy well, so if the addition of the SV spool allows me to drop down to an eighth of an ounce it's now become more versatile. When I get mine it will go on my paddle tail rod that I use for 1/8 to half ounce heads and swimbaits. Should be perfect.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:04 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Not sure why you would need more than 100 yards of 12-16 lb test for most any bass fishing conditions
Topwater is the main one I can think of. And I definitely need 100+ yards of 14lb mono.
Maybe spinnerbaits if your bombing them?
Small swimbaits.
But yeah, there's not many.

Overall, I'm leaning towards this one vs the new zillion sv TW.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:08 am

adam lancia wrote:Keep in mind you can put a 1016 in it, or even a Steez longcast which will hold a substantial amount of heavier line.
Steez longcast spool? What spool is that?

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:48 am

Seems impractical to be casting more then 50 yards when fishing for bass, but that's just me.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:43 am

spookybaits wrote:
adam lancia wrote:Keep in mind you can put a 1016 in it, or even a Steez longcast which will hold a substantial amount of heavier line.
This beastie: http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/spo ... 00080.html

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:20 am

adam lancia wrote:
spookybaits wrote:
This beastie: http://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/spo ... 00080.html
One of the worst buys I ever made was the Steez HLC. It was completely wild with anything under 3/4 and didn't add anything to my distance. The Zillion HLC is a winner. The Steez HLC, no so much.